The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 02:10 AM   #1
thinkingman

recommend a quality, mid priced SXS 20

Got a bug for a nice 20ga sxs for field work.
I like pretty guns.
What can be had for under a $K?
Old January 2, 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Sorry, 1K is NOT mid-priced when it comes to quality SxS. With their hand-fitting and labor requirements, basic Spanish boxlock ones start about $3500 and then you go up from there to the English "Best" guns that have a few more zeros added on.

That being said, there are a few from Turkey that get good marks. The now discontinued S&W Elite Gold (and the Dickinson sold at Cabela's) come from the same maker in Turkey - NOT Huglu like the CZ, and are very well made, but they will run about $1400 or so. If you go used, you should be able to find a Spanish "Uggie", (Ugartechea) boxlock for about $1200-$1500.

Either will give you a lot of gun for the money.

Mark DeHaan imported Huglu guns and then went through them and fixed the issues before shipping them to customers. He might have some as well, but they will be above your $1k budget.

As to the CZ - these Huglu-guns seem to be hit or miss in quality. Now and again, we hear that someone got a good one and it is still working; however,many have had a lot of issues with them from poor triggers and firing pins to complete breakdowns. These are the guns that basically gave all Turkish guns a bad name. While they are getting better, I would not recommend one at this time
Old January 2, 2013, 10:22 AM   #3
thinkingman

I guess I should be more specific.
In my mind, Browning BSS, SKB and Ithaca would be considered quality.
Please correct me if I'm way off....
Old January 2, 2013, 11:38 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Nope, all of those are well made (but I find them to be a bit heavy for field use where there is lots of walking). Again, though, I see these guns over your budget by a few hundred, mostly in the 1200-1500 range. If you can find one that wasn't abused for 1,000 grab and run because you stole it.....
Old January 2, 2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Virginian

Those are all good guns. Now all you have to do is find one in good shape at your price point.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:49 PM   #6
farmboy

Check the showrooms of Scheel's, Cabela's and the like. At the Scheel's in Des Moines today I saw a beautiful Parker Field Grade that was going for $1450.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:20 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

Not that hard to find Ithacas for 600-1000. I was giving this one alot of thought but I over spent between Christmas and vacation.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=324667704
Old January 5, 2013, 09:46 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Okie, that is the SKB, I understood the OP's definition to mean an actual Ithaca, as in a NID, but maybe I misread
Old January 5, 2013, 11:04 PM   #9
OkieCruffler

Well perhaps you just didn't read the OP's second post. But I have found many US made Ithacas for that same 6-1000 range. You won't find any flies on an SKB regardless.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Agreed, the SKBs are good guns. A little heavy for me for field use, but solid nonetheless
Old January 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
OkieCruffler

I don't know from heavy, I use a Savage 311, have for 30 years now. I've been assured that they swing, "like a pig on the end of a shovel". And yet I still hit alot more than I miss. I find the O/U B guns to be clumbsy, blockish if you will. I must admit to being tempted by some of those little spanish SXS's tho.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:45 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

If you like the svelte Spanish guns, take a look at the S&W Elite Gold as well.
I will say, after a new 12 for targets, an AyA is next for me
Old January 6, 2013, 07:42 PM   #13
BigJimP

A Browning BSS would probably be my first choice...if they fit you ....and you can deal with the different sight picture vs an O/U...

The problem is - there are not a lot of them around...

My 2nd choice if you can find a good one would be the SKB...but its a distant 2nd in my view...
----------
But honestly, I think you'd be way better off with an O/U ...( but I thought you bought a 20ga O/U last year...)...??
Old January 6, 2013, 08:31 PM   #14
OkieCruffler

No matter what gun I try I always end up going back to one of my 311's. It's a nostalgia thing. I shoot clays simply for the pleasure of shooting, not like my goofy bench pistols that are more work than fun. I have handled the BSS and I would love to have one if I ever found a deal on one.
Speaking of nostalgia, I spoke at long legnth with my grandfather today, the man who gave me my first 311. He says the only shotgun worth having is a SXS and the only SXS worth owning is a Greener. At 90 he doesn't shoot anymore so he told me to come get his. He still enjoys getting them out and looking at them, so I'll leave it be. They'll be mine some day but I hope that's a ways in the future.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:34 PM   #15
OkieCruffler

If I were looser with my ceredit card...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=325110795
Old January 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

As long as we are talking about using credit cards............,.
I want to use BigJimP's for a nice David M Brown..........,,,

C'mon Jim, if you won't adopt me, then make me a loan......l.the DMB is ONLY right at $65,000...........

I'll mow your lawns for the rest of your life............
A 12 bore weighing 6#6oz, or a 20 right at 6# even.....,what's not to like?

And since SxS guns range from a low of $400 to a high of '$125,000, a DMB at £42,000, or about $65,000 should make it a mid priced gun like the OP was looking for..........right?

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; January 6, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:53 AM   #17
BigJimP

A loan...?? / how am I supposed to buy a new Lexus LX-570 and another Freedom Arms revolver....if I give you all my petty cash.....?? ....I need that $ 100K for toys man !!

Man, you guys are rough on us old guys....

Mow lawns...I don't have any lawn ?? / and my wife does all the landscaping...( its important to marry well !! )....( lawns are a conspiracy ...you have to pay to water them, buy a lawnmower and then pay to get rid of the grass....)....I just don't get it.../ we have a little over an acre of " shrubs and stuff " that my wife lovingly attends to - and that's the way its supposed to be / but then again, she volunteers but isn't coming into the office more than 2 or 3 days a month - and I work 3.5 days a week....so maybe I'm getting the short end of this deal....

Oh well.../ can't blame you guys for asking ...