The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
ckmoose04

17 Hmr

Can you reload a .17 HMR bullet.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Marlboro Man

No
Old February 5, 2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Twycross

I'm sure that reloading .17HMR is technically feasible, but I don't know how many reloading kits will work with it, or what kind of supplies are on the market. That's an awfully small cartridge to reload.
Old February 5, 2006, 05:06 PM   #4
jclaude

17 HMR Handloads

The feasibility of reloading rimfire ammunition of any kind is not good.

Can it be done? Yes

It is practical? No

Unless, maybe, you have perfected your technique for reloading .22 rimfire cartridges. It that's the case, I know where you can get several million, once fired cases, just for pickin' them up!
Old February 5, 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
mbartel

Can you reload the bullet?
Yes...if it has not been fired. If you pull the undamaged bullet from the case, and modify the powder charge, then you could probably make some kind of bullet seating contraption to re-seat the bullet. If the cartridge has been fired, then no...for all intents and purposes, the fired case is non-reloadable.
Old February 5, 2006, 07:20 PM   #6
OneInTheChamber

Quote:
Yes...if it has not been fired. If you pull the undamaged bullet from the case, and modify the powder charge, then you could probably make some kind of bullet seating contraption to re-seat the bullet
I understand you are talking hypothetically; but there are some users on this forum that might take that and apply it. Adding more gun powder could lead to a really, really bad trip to the range. Removing some could also lead to this (i.e. round does not clear the barrel because of gross removal of powder, and a second, full powder round runs into it).
Old February 5, 2006, 08:46 PM   #7
pipoman

A firearms instructor/armorer once told me an early process for reloading rim fire cartridges. He said this process was implemented during WW1 as I remember. He said match heads were made into a light paste then allowed to dry in the bottom of the casing. Once dry the cartridge was reloaded as normal.
Old February 10, 2006, 04:42 PM   #8
mbartel

Good point.

However I answered truthfully to a very honest question from the poster. It is really a shame that we have to now be so careful of what we say so as not to put ideas into another person's mind. I hope the well informed among us would not be responsible for the mis-use of honest information by those who have a lesser amount of common sense. Isn't this somewhat like victims sueing the gun makers because somebody misused their products? Should we stop the sharing of knowledge, because some poor soul can somehow manipulate it in a way that brings them harm? Should I have told a lie to help protect someone who might actually try it? Sorry....I will not be responsible for others who will bring harm unto themselves, and then want to blame somebody, because they weren't told they could get hurt. At some point you have to say "If you don't have the sense God gave a mule's a**, then you have no business handling guns". Gun ownership and operation used to bring with it a certain amount of responsibility. I'd like to think that still holds true......but sometimes I wonder.
Old February 11, 2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Rico567

I think in this case it would be best to just apply the principles of "do no harm," and "least information possible," and just state that rimfire cases are not reloadable.

- Mark Twain