The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 7, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1
O6nop

Replacing standard thumb safety on 1911

With a new ambi safety. I was surprised that it was not a drop-in part for the 1911, does it need to be modified to work? Is this a gunsmith only item?
Old April 8, 2007, 07:20 AM   #2
HankL

Quote:
Is this a gunsmith only item?
Not really but you need to know exactly where to remove metal from the safety and have the patience to stone once, reassemble, test and do it again until it's right.
Old April 8, 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
HSMITH

Given the question asked my response to you is yes, it is a gunsmith only part. I hope you don't take offense, but the question asked often refects the experience level of the person asking.

If you want to do it yourself you need reference material, patience, some simple tools, and the willingness to toss a brand new ambi in the garbage can and start over if necessary. You probably will screw at least one up, so count on that. Chip McCormick makes a reasonable quality ambi that is about $25 cheaper than most, it makes a good backup safety and practice safety. They aren't as expensive to throw out.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Harry Bonar

Sir:
There are NO, repeat, NO drop in parts for the 1911.
However, you can fit your safety if you are careful. I would suggest a good manual on doing this before you do it.
The danger of fitting a safety is to "overfit" it, so that when pulling the trigger it releases somewhat and then when taking safety off the gun discharges!
The tit in the 1911 safety is a "sear block" safety - so the fitting must be done properly - if you were here I would show you - after you know how to fit, it's simple.
Harry B.
Old April 8, 2007, 11:16 AM   #5
brickeyee

Buy a cheap one to practice on.
Old April 8, 2007, 01:56 PM   #6
williamd

Worked over several. And Harry Bomar is RIGHT! Even the parts that seem to drop need touching. Having said that, there is much an owner can do with proper books/manuals, tools and stones, and time-time-time.
Old April 9, 2007, 09:34 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Drop in parts

As a couple of experienced and respected members have said, there are no drop in parts on a properly fitted 1911A1.

However, meaning no disrespect to people with years of gunsmithing the 1911, the Army did it differently. My experience is from the 1970s, and only with service grade guns, but all replacement parts we installed were "drop in", and were not "touched up" any. If the gun still wouldn't function correctly with the replacement part, the replacement part was replaced, until it worked.

Small Arms repairmen were taught (only) replacement of parts. Many of us learned a great deal more, but many also did not. The guns did work when they left the shop, but that's all we were responsible for. Somehow, I don't think you want this level of performance from your 1911.