The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 29, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
longfellow

Accuracy "packages" cost 2 grand? Really ?

Ok, yes. The list of what gets checked and honed and fitted and polished is impressive. But they start to look like the seventy-five point check that is advertised when you get your oil changed. Really?
I can't argue with success and an inch and a half guarantee at fifty yards is really laying it on the line so I don't doubt that these smiths know their stuff.

But may I ask if there's maybe a few critical tasks that can be done to a high quality 1911 such as my Series 70, that will get me maybe seventy-five or at least fifty percent of the way there from my current five inch grouping wad gun candidate? I just want to find the smith who is more performance oriented than anything else and if polishing the link pin is really doing very little but is contributes two hundred bucks to the bill, can we leave it out?
Who are the Bulls Eye smiths out there who truly focus on the critical few tasks that really get a shooter in to Expert class but maybe let the shooter have the option to perform those other ninety percent of the list of upgrades when he really need them because that's the only way to get those extra couple of points?
Old March 31, 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Jimro

Is your pistol 5" from a rest?

The biggest payoff in terms of accuracy is consistent final lockup in a 1911 of any make/type. Hence a tight barrel bushing and the need to use a tool to disassemble.

Start with one of these.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528...ent-steel-blue

Jimro
Old March 31, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3
longfellow

Thanks

Good input Jim and well worth the try just to see where I am with this and the lightening that I did to the trigger return and sear spring.
Old March 31, 2012, 08:10 PM   #4
NRAhab

A factory Glock will shoot under 3 inches at 25 yards with match ammo, so you likely don't need an accuracy package unless you're a bullseye shooter.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Hunter Customs

The most accuracy gain in a 1911 pistol is a good barrel and good barrel fit.
As was taugh to me by my Mentor in 1969 the barrel needs to be hard fit, that was the terminology he used.
He went on to explain to me that for a barrel to be hard fit it needs to lock up at both ends like a bank vault.
So you need to keep tolerances at both ends to a minimum.
Do not use a barrel or bushing that is a drop in fit if you want the most accuracy gain.

I've hard fit barrels, lathe turned and angle bored the bushings, the guns I put them in would shoot less then 1 inch groups at 25 yards.
So using the standard rule of thumb the group size will double at 50 yards, so the gun will shoot less then 2 inches at 50 yards.

There's a lot of accuracy modifications some will try and sell you on.
When one does the math dealing with the tolerances of the 1911 its easy to see the accuracy gain by doing those modifications is so small that very few if any shooters could take advantage of it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old April 2, 2012, 07:20 AM   #6
longfellow

Thanks bob

That's what I suspected, and tried to describe in my original post Bob.
A no frills approach to getting a shooter back to the line with an accurate pistol with minimal investment, is refreshing to hear.
Ed