The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
taurus4life

first batch.really dirty.

went to the range the other day and shot my first batch of .45's. for the most part everything went well, no ftf and they were surprisingly accurate.problem is they were so much dirtier then factory ammo. after about 100 rounds the whole front of my gun was black and when i shot it look like soot was coming from the gun. i use imr700x powder. dont know if this i usual or if maybe i need a tighter crimp? any info would be helpful.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
bossman

I know I get a dirty gun when I'm shooting light loads of Bullseye. I just carry a few rags and wipe it down every now and then. You can try a little more crimp and see if it helps.

It really varys with the powders and the load. Some loads do good and others give me a dirty gun. When I say good it means I only have to wipe it down once.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Don P

Quote:
dont know if this i usual or if maybe i need a tighter crimp? any info would be helpful.
All is good and yes most powders used by us roll your owns will get the gun dirtier than factory ammo. My question is, do you want a clean gun shooting factory ammo or a dirty gun shooting short money re loads????? If they are shooting good don't screw with the crimp cause all is working good
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
steve4102

There are lots of great powders for the 45, some are dirty and some are clean. Try a different powder if 700x is to dirty for you. I like WST and Silhouette.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Jim Watson

What bullet? Lead and lube from cast bullets are a major source of fouling.

How much 700X? Light loads are subject to poor combustion and more soot.

Extra elbow grease to clean the gun is what you pay for the economy and versatility of reloading.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
taurus4life

thanks for the info guys. i do load them i little lite. i clean my guns everytime i shoot them anyway so i dont mind them being a little dirtier.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:23 PM   #7
cwok

45 acp dirty loads

Bullseye is a classic powder in for 45 ACP all three of the reloading manual I look through.
I'm using 5.2 to 5.4 grains behind 230 grain bullets and mine seem to fairly clean.
Just about as clean as Winchester White Box and certainly way cleaner than some low price .45 acp brands that I've tried.

I haven't reloaded 700x - but I've had the impression that was more commonly listed for fairly stout loads for calibers like 10MM or 44 mag.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Clean shooting .45ACP's...

Taurus 4 Life--For target shooting @ 25 yd, I load Win 231 behind a 200 grain lead SWC. This doesn't produce much smoke/dirt, although there is some of course.

BTW, much of the smoke you see when firing a pistol round, comes not from the burning powder, but from the bullet lube. I've used Lyman's Orange Magic, which makes almost no smoke at all, with the above load. (Currently using another bullet lube, which I regret, and as soon as it is out of the Lubrisizer, Orange Magic will be back in, this time for good.)

--Smokey Joe
Old February 16, 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
totaldla

Warm up your loads and you'll get less soot. And don't bother with increasing the taper crimp - it has next to nothing to do with start pressure.