The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 4, 2002, 08:08 AM   #1
loach

rust showing on cloth/patches used to clean NEW Savage 110

I'm confused. I bought this gun (Savage 110 in .260 rem) for a friend who was short on cash, but wanted to go hunting with me last Fall. He intended to pay me back, but he didn't find work all Winter and we moved cross-country, so I wound up taking the gun back from him in April before we moved. Anyhow, since I got it back two things have me concerned.

1. When I run a lightly oiled rag or patch over the receiver or barrel, the cloth/patch winds up rust-colored, even though there is no visible rust anywhere on the gun. Shoudl I just keep oiling it occasionally until is stops? Should I be worried?

2. Compared to my other rifles, this one seems to get fouled up worse than any other. The first patch through the barell is usually just filthy. Yesterday, I fired just 10 rounds through it while working up a load for it and when I got home to clean it, you'd think I'd fired 1000. I'm using the same powder (IMR 4831) and similar bullets (Hornady Interlock) on a Remington 700 I have and there is very little fouling. Are some rifles/caliber's just succeptible to this type of fouling or is something wrong?

Is it possible my friend did something horrible to it during the short time he had it to muck it up? I doubt he put more than 40 rounds through it. I know he stored it in a hard case in a closet. Perhaps this is the reason for the rust?

Thanks. I did a quick search of the archives and found some threads about older guns with this type of problem, but nothing on practically new guns.
Old September 4, 2002, 06:11 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Most blued firearms, will turn an oily patch rusty-color. Bluing IS rust, and it's normal for some of the finish to continue to oxidize a little. You will notice it's worse on factory recent, or newly reblued guns. Some custom rebluers will soak a new blue job in warm oil for a few weeks, and rub it doen with an oily patch once or twice a day, until most of the surface oxidation is off. During this, the finish will get more glossy.

On your barrel. It could be a slightly rough bore. Getting it REALLY clean and breaking it in, may fix the problem. This doesn't mean the barrel is defective, just that it may have more imperfections left by the rifling process. Breaking it in will reduce those imperfections and prevent metal fouling from accumulating.
Newer guns typically will foul more than an older barrel.

The situation is that a slightly rough bore will collect fouling on top of the rough spots. Every time another round is fired, more fouiling is deposited. It can be very difficult to get the older fouling out, and even though you think it's clean, it still has metal fouling. Get some JB Bore Paste, or soak the bore with a good standard solvent until a patch comes out without blue streaks.

Breaking in a barrel is possible even on an older barrel, and this will smooth the bore and prevent fouling from building up.
Old September 4, 2002, 07:04 PM   #3
loach

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

Now that I think about it, I know this barrel was not broken in. I did it with all of my other guns, but not with this one, since by friend had it. Guess I have a project for the weekend...

I'll just keep lightly oiling the blueing now and then and see if it barrel shines up a bit and the rust goes away.