The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2001, 05:39 PM   #1
ARshooter

I will be loading up some pistol (.45 ACP) ammo and ammo for my AR-15 and was wondering what the prefered primer is these days. Of the two listed, which do you prefer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, any comments on AA 2200 powder? Good, bad, etc?
Old January 22, 2001, 05:41 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've always liked Federal first, Remington second, Winchester third, and CCI last.

I've always had what I feel to be much better results with Federal, especially with rifle.
Old January 22, 2001, 05:52 PM   #3
tonyz

At 11.50 a box of 1000 and no problums in my dillon.

Whinchester But that was not one of the choses
I'll take Federal of the two mentioned

Tony Z
Old January 22, 2001, 06:12 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

For absolutely no reason that makes any sense-CCI. That said I have CCI, Remington and Winchester primers in my stash. Usually I just buy the cheapest brand now (Winchester in my area).
As for the AA2200 data powder, from the (very limited) amount of data I've seen on it, it seems to be a bit fast for the .223, developing less velocity at higher pressure than a similar volume of WW748 or some of the other surplus powders offered. Lots of folks on the boards seem to use it though.
Old January 22, 2001, 06:51 PM   #5
Airborne

CCI

For no particular reason other than it's what I bought first and developed most of my loads around, I still buy mostly CCI. Besides, they are the only ones offered in strips for the RCBS Pro 2000.

For what it's worth, the only other primers I have experience with is Winchester. The CCI's are made from a harder metal it seems, and tend to seat a little meaner than the Winchesters in some cases. I prefer CCI's in a progressive for this same reason, as they don't deform as easily as the WW's.

In either case, both have given me flawless performance.

Best,
SM
Old January 22, 2001, 08:06 PM   #6
char923

I think out of 20 year of using CCI primers, I have used only 500 Winchester primers and have never try Federal primers and have not had one problem with CCI primer. Never try AA 2200 powder.
Old January 22, 2001, 11:08 PM   #7
dick w. holliday

federal primers

Federal primers are known to have a greater sensitivity and if you're running a gun with lightened mainspring you'll like federal better....Dick
Old January 23, 2001, 12:36 AM   #8
zot

Winchester, can't beat the price or availability,never tried others in any cal. shotgun shells all Winchester primers.CCI,s allways a few bucks more,Federal I've only seen are for shotgun, Winchester is just too cheap!!
Old January 23, 2001, 12:37 PM   #9
*Cag

I have tried both. I have rifles that like the CCI magnum primers and have others that like Federal Match Gold.

Best of luck....Cag
Old January 23, 2001, 01:36 PM   #10
NAD

Federal is a single base primer, and yes, they are more sensitive. Note the large boxes they come in compared to the others. The metal for CCI pistol primers is thicker than that of Winchester or Federal. They can cause problems with Dillon loading machines since the cup is a little larger. Dillon originally designed his progressive loaders using Winchester primers. I have used CCI, Winchester, and Federal. All my bullets go bang with them. CCI pistol primers worked fine in my 550B, but I have not tried them in my RL1050. I now use either Federal or Winchester magnum pistol primers. They are a little hotter than the regular pistol primers so I can use less powder to get the same velocity.
Old January 23, 2001, 10:00 PM   #11
Charmedlyfe

As has been posted before, the problem with CCI primers and Dillon presses was fixed a number of years ago. It had to do with some primers being out-of-round and not feeding well through the tube. As I said, a problem long-ago solved. The benchrest primers are great with my performance loads, and they also make low-sensitivity (military-type) primers for semis.

I like CCI BECAUSE they aren't as sensitive. I load a lot of stuff for semi-autos, and it makes me feel better. Also, Federal primers tend to burn hotter than other brands (ALL other brands!) and can cause a slight increase in pressure. Not my thoughts.....I read it a few years ago, I think in Handloader magazine.
Old January 24, 2001, 12:38 PM   #12
NAD

George - According to Dillon it hasn't been solved regarding CCI primers. They are still out of round and are thick. They also don't recommend CCI for their presses which seat the primer on the up stroke like the 550B. Using them on the RL1050 which seats the priner on the down stroke is ok. Winchester primers work the best in their machines. Federals are soft and not recommended, especially in the RL1050.
Old January 24, 2001, 02:51 PM   #13
Poodleshooter

That thick cup on CCI's can be a blessing when loading for military rifles prone to slamfiring. That combined with resistance against blowing out makes them a good idea for high pressure loads. I only briefly used a press mounted priming system and didn't like it's sensitivity to primer brands. I can prime faster using a hand press, and it isn't as finicky.
Old January 24, 2001, 03:47 PM   #14
Benchrest1000

I've had luck with both, depending on caliber. I use Federal in any case that holds more than about 40 grains of powder as they are a little hotter. Just seems to light the powder up a little more evenly. Federal has a softer cup than, say, Winchester does which, as PoodleShooter stated, would make Winchester or CCI a slightly safer choice for my AR10. I test chambered a few reloads w/Federal 210GM primers yesterday in the backyard. In my AR10, it leaves a very slight indentation in the primer, even with the AR10s spring safety on the firing pin. Oops. Think I'll try some Winchester primers in there. On the other hand, all my magnum bolt gun loads love the Federal primers. It doesnt matter how soft I load for them, those Federals always seem to flatten out like a pancake. The only way I have ever been able to tell which primer is actually 'better' for a specific load/powder is to chronograph it. The smaller Extreme Spread wins for that load. It may not be the same outcome with a different powder. Best of Luck.
Old January 24, 2001, 04:05 PM   #15
Bogie

Different rifles like different primers. Don't be "brand" loyal when pursuing accuracy.

AA2200 produced some unreal numbers in my 6PPC and 6BR when coupled with 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. Call AA and load at your own speed. Let's just say that I was shooting some VERY hot loads (in a tight custom action, down benchrest quality bores), and have started calling my BR the "6mm Swift."

Old January 24, 2001, 11:31 PM   #16
danm

For handgun loads, Dillon press, I stick with Federal.
For .223 that I make in a RockChucker, for an AR15, I
always go with CCI because of the hardness and the AR15's
floating firing pin.
I am working on my third 8lb jug of AA2200. I noticed
no difference in accuracy between it and the much more
expensive .223 suitable powders. But, when I am shooting
a 16" bbl AR15, minute of angle is nowhere on my mind.
I'm just blasting.
Dan
Old January 25, 2001, 03:19 PM   #17
Nestor Rivera

CCI for Mill

As a MillSurp Shooter I use the CCI for Millitary ONLY it is a little most cost but the fact that it will resist slamfire in my Semi-Autos (SKS,MAS 49/56) is very good think and my WW I / WWII bolt guns dont seem to mind one bit. Infact the springs on some MN's will really mash soft primers.
Old January 25, 2001, 05:45 PM   #18
Hal

When I started reloading, the dealer only stocked CCI primers. I just stuck with them over the years. I also use a Lee hand primer and find the CCI's easier to dump into the tray than the Federal's. I haven't really noticed a difference between the two of them for what I do.
Old January 26, 2001, 03:38 AM   #19
George Helser

ARshooter,

Lately, I like CCI primers better than Winchester. The Winchester primers seem kind of loose and sometimes prone to pop out under some conditions.

30 years ago, Winchester primers seated firmly but in the 70s they seemed to change the fit.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old January 26, 2001, 09:27 AM   #20
RiverRider

I think that different guns , even different recipes for the SAME firearm, will have preferences in primers. You just gotta try different ones to find out what those preferences are.

I used Winchester primers exclusively for some time, but tried some Federal 210Ms one time, and the results were most gratifying. That doesn't mean I'll quit using Winchester, it just means I'll be willing to try more than one brand from now on.

-RR-