The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
jwrowland77

Primer/Powder Storage question

Now I was wondering, I know to leave powder and primers in original packages, but would it be safe or unsafe to store said original packages in military ammo containers?

I've come across some free military ammo containers and was just wondering.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Marco Califo

Confinement is an issue

For powder storage, confinement can make the flammable gunpowder "explode" (create pressure great enough to burst confinement). Therefore, powder storage is specified to be in cabinets which will lose structural confinement at lower pressures and therefore, burn rapidly, but not "explosively". Of course this not the intended result, but a safeguard to prevent greater destruction in a fire.
http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf
Old December 24, 2012, 08:08 PM   #3
jwrowland77

That's kind of what I was thinking. I had read that awhile back, but just kind if seeing what others did.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4
drail

Keep them in their original containers. A great deal of testing and money were involved in designing these containers to meet safe shipping and warehouse requirements. The manufacturers figured out many years ago how to package components for safe handling and storage.
Old December 25, 2012, 01:03 AM   #5
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Keep them in their original containers. A great deal of testing and money were involved in designing these containers to meet safe shipping and warehouse requirements. The manufacturers figured out many years ago how to package components for safe handling and storage.
I know to keep them in original package. See post #1.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:00 AM   #6
Sport45

Mine just sits on the closet shelf or on a closet floor in the original type containers. I'll repackage the remains of 4# and 8# jugs in well-labeled old 1# bottles to save space.

If I ever need to stack the stuff I'll just put it in cardboard boxes. As mentioned already, no confinement that can contain pressure.