The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 1, 2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Lurper

Bike Jacked! (almost)

I find this rather amusing, so I thought I would share it:
I ride my bike daily or try to anyway. I have a route that is 10 miles or 20 depending on how I go. The first and last leg take me through the neighborhood.
I was riding today and was returning home. I was in the neighborhood about 2 blocks from home. I noticed that up ahead near the stop sign there were two young men. I'd guess that they were around 18 or so. For some reason, it struck me as odd because one was on a bike on the sidewalk and the other did not have a bike and had just stepped off of the curb into the street. My radar went off for some reason. I literally thought "this guy is gonna try to take my bike." I'm still about 30 yards or so away, it just doesn't feel right, but I continue on. I have a fairly expensive (about $1800) full suspension bike, but I'm sure he couldn't tell from where he was. Anyway as I get closer I can see him almost inperceptively edging into the street - he had to wait for a couple of cars to go through the stop signs. I decided that I was gonna blow through the stop sign (it's a 4 way) because something still seemed odd. I began pedaling and when I was about 50 feet away, I noticed that the skinny kid was locked onto me and as a approached, he began jogging backward and out into the street toward me. It became obvious pretty quickly that his intent was to intercept me. He closed the distance and when he got about 6 feet away, he happened to notice the 1911 on my side and the fact that I had my hand around the grip. I was thinking "this kid can't be that stupid." It was comical, when he noticed the gun, he did the Vaudeville shuffle minus the cane back over toward his friend. I kept my eyes on him the whole time, his friend busted out laughing and I said loud enough for him to hear "that's a good way to get yourself shot, bro."
I didn't turn into my place, because it was within sight and I didn't want them to see me. Instead, I went to the shopping center across the street and stopped. For a brief moment I thought about pulling out my cell phone and calling the police but didn't. I turned around, went back to the street and the kids were gone, so I rode home.
It was really strange, but I am certain of his intent. Just thought I'd share the experience. Also, please don't try to lecture me about brandishing. This was not a case of brandishing since I clearly felt threatened. Brandishing involves using a gun to threaten or intimidate when you are not threatened.
Old March 1, 2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Boris Bush

Quote:
Also, please don't try to lecture me about brandishing. This was not a case of brandishing since I clearly felt threatened. Brandishing involves using a gun to threaten or intimidate when you are not threatened.
No lecture from me. For once it is nice to see a post on this forum of a real life application of your right to use that legaly owned and carried pistol. One point it makes very clear is like most uses of the pistol in defense of ones self will NEVER go as you practiced at the range, and rarely does.

Good job! We can all learn something from your post, and that is to be aware of what goes on around you all the time.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Edward429451

Good job bro! You sent a good message to the slime. Chances are good that he wont ever try that again on anyone. You took a bite out of crime and helped your community. I think you're pistol paid for it'self and you've shown a profit.
Old March 1, 2008, 04:05 PM   #4
MLeake

Good job

Awareness is a good thing to have, even more than a 1911. Nice going.

Glad you weren't hurt, and weren't forced to hurt anybody else.
Old March 1, 2008, 09:14 PM   #5
langenc

The real purpose of CCW-to defend yourself.

Better to have had it when needed than home on the dresser even if you were just riding in the 'neighborhood'.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:11 PM   #6
noahlewis

I started wondering why you didn't call the cops then and there. But after a second thought I realized your correct action of not calling the cops. Had you called they would have let the unsuccessfull criminals go free, then take your pistol, beat you up and arrest you.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:30 PM   #7
oldbillthundercheif

Suspected attempted petty theft is not something I would feel much of a need to report, either. I'm usually all for reporting crimes as you can't catch them if you don't report them, but they didn't really get a chance to do anything here.

Good lord these punks have gotten lazy. Either that or they are too dumb to operate a pair of boltcutters.

I can't believe they picked you as their mark, Lurper. I understand that these types of dimwits can mistake age for infirmity, but I don't understand how they could take you for anything but a serious hardcase.

"Yeah, let's knock over the the beefy guy with the cold stare who has obviously picked up on our plan". Friggin rocket scientists.
Old March 2, 2008, 12:30 PM   #8
woodland

noahlewis
Quote:
I started wondering why you didn't call the cops then and there. But after a second thought I realized your correct action of not calling the cops. Had you called they would have let the unsuccessfull criminals go free, then take your pistol, beat you up and arrest you.
Oh, that is helpful and mature. I just love the inteligent blanket statements people make.

Not sure about every state, but in my state he did nothing wrong. Had the police been called, he would have been interviewed, then the area would have been checked for the kids. If contacted they would have been checked for warrants and probably FIR'd ( a short report placing them in the area and the circumstances ). Unfortunatly, with what was told, there was no crime, so no, they would not be arrested. Those pesky things we have in this country called rights! There was no verbal threat or physical action aside from moving into the road towards another person. Although a reasonable person can deduce what was unfolding, and Lurper did and took a reasonable precaution, this does not meet the elements of a crime, or even an attempted crime. Had the punk said something like "give me the bike or I'll kick your butt" and/or tried to grab at him or the bike, then he would have crossed the line to where something could actually be done.

Having said that, I would still recomend calling the police. Where did they get the other bike? The police may have other reports already from similar incidents, and you could maybe provide the missing info to identify the punks. Your incident may just be a small piece of a bigger puzzle.
Old March 2, 2008, 12:35 PM   #9
MillCreek

And some people think it is ridiculous that I feel a need to carry while on one of my five bicycles. Excellent account by the OP.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old March 2, 2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Edward429451

woodland, your comments are conflicting with your sig line. Better change it now.
Old March 2, 2008, 12:56 PM   #11
woodland

Quote:
woodland, your comments are conflicting with your sig line. Better change it now.
I am puzzled. What do you mean? It is a quote from Neo in the Matrix, when he he began to realize what he was capable of in the Matrix.
Old March 2, 2008, 04:31 PM   #12
springmom

Well done, Lurper. You did what you needed to. Glad you're safe.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old March 2, 2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Th0r

Interesting story.

If it was me I would of turned around and cycled like hell.
Old March 2, 2008, 05:01 PM   #14
Lurper

Quote:
Excellent strategy. Let me explain why I didn't:
This is going to sound wierd to some, but I'm sure others have experienced it. It has happened to me before in confrontations I have been in. The phenomenon has always been accurate.
I knew from the time I saw the kid what was going to happen and that I would not be injured. It was like a precognative experience. Since I knew what the outcome would be, I wasn't worried about it. But I also felt no urge to avoid the confrontation. As I mentioned, it has happened before. I find it fascinating but cannot explain it.
Old March 2, 2008, 05:30 PM   #15
Lon308

Quote:
I'm a retired cop & think that he did the right thing.

Turning around would have involved taking your eyes off the suspects and turning your back on the suspects. Those are violations of tactical rules and would have negated most advantages that Lurper had and could be setting himself up to get hurt.

Never, never turn your back on a suspect. (Just like they used to tell us in parachute Jumpmaster School, "Never turn your back on an open door".)

He was at 50 feet and closing. By the time that he got turned around, they could have continued to close the distance on him. They already had intent; this could have given them advantage.

Last edited by Lon308; March 2, 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old March 2, 2008, 09:19 PM   #16
kgpcr

Well Done!!
Smith M&P 40
Old March 2, 2008, 09:52 PM   #17
orionengnr

Quote:
Suspected attempted petty theft is not something I would feel much of a need to report, either.
Since the OP states that the bicycle is worth $1600, this is not petty theft... and taken under duress, is not theft at all, but robbery/larceny, and probably agravated at that.

Difference between a misdemeanor and a felony.
Old March 3, 2008, 01:04 AM   #18
ssilicon

Glad to hear it worked out ok. I do think you should have called the police though. Let them investigate. For all you know, the one who was on a bike may have stole that one, or they may match the description of suspects in other crimes or may even be wanted for something. Calling the police might have prevented the next cyclist from getting jacked like you almost did. Do your fellow citizens a favor and report criminals and suspicious activity too.
Old March 3, 2008, 01:10 AM   #19
lanternlad

I think its better that you didn't call the cops because they would have investigated, the BGs might have learned who you were and decided to make vendetta out of it. As it is, they'll probably forget the whole thing in few days, and probably get shot when the try doing it to someone not as merciful as yourself. I doubt that they'll learn from this episode.

You might, however, report them anonymously as a "concerned citizen" who saw them trying to steal someone's bike...
Old March 3, 2008, 01:11 AM   #20
Boris Bush

ssilicon

Thats all good in theory, but I chased off some punks trying to rob my neighbors one time. A pistol, and a Mag lite in hand I chased them off. Called the po po and they said. "we might get a car out there tonight". When one showed up 3 hours later he just drove by slow and took a look.

Not all po po care for the people. The last city I lived in as a civilian was alot better. A neighbor alerted me to a kid breaking into cars. I held him at gunpoint until the po po got there. He thanked me and sent me on my way.

I would guess it all depends on where you live.......
Old March 3, 2008, 02:06 AM   #21
2cooltoolz

You did good!! Showed the idiot we are not all targets. He's lucky he walked away!! Good Job!!
Old March 3, 2008, 02:13 AM   #22
Anchorage

PLEASE specify BICYCLE, when you said bike jack, I nearly had a heart attack ! I'm a motorcyclist...

then you said 1800 dollar bike, I was like, WOW cheap bike !

then I realized it was a bicycle.

you carry a 1911 when your ride a BICYCLE ? what kind of rig ? arent you sweating so much you rust the gun ? or is it a polymer 1911 ?
Old March 4, 2008, 12:16 AM   #23
rb4browns

Quote:
Excellent strategy. Let me explain why I didn't:
This is going to sound wierd to some, but I'm sure others have experienced it. It has happened to me before in confrontations I have been in. The phenomenon has always been accurate.
I knew from the time I saw the kid what was going to happen and that I would not be injured. It was like a precognative experience. Since I knew what the outcome would be, I wasn't worried about it. But I also felt no urge to avoid the confrontation. As I mentioned, it has happened before. I find it fascinating but cannot explain it.
You theory would make sense if you have been accurate about every time you have been hurt/injured in a confrontation as well. Otherwise it seems like overconfidence/underthinking combined with luck. Hindsight is always 20/20. Not trying to bash, just sayin'.....
Old March 4, 2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Lurper

Quote:
you carry a 1911 when your ride a BICYCLE ? what kind of rig ?
Galco IWB (Their copy of the Summer Special)

Quote:
arent you sweating so much you rust the gun ?
I sweat and the gun occassionaly will get rust on it. But, it's a tool and it gets used a lot (about 32,000 rounds in 15 months). Like any tools, it requires maintenance. Besides, I must handle the thing 100 times a day at least.

Quote:
You theory would make sense if you have been accurate about every time you have been hurt/injured in a confrontation as well.
Not to dismiss your point, but it's been 100% accurate so far. I have not been hurt or injured in a confrontation in 25+ years but have been in several (armed ones, not fist fights). It's not something that you can make happen, it just happens. Another noteworthy time was when I was in a car accident. When I regained consciousness, I realized I was trapped in the car (I was very claustrophobic as a child). But I also knew that I would be okay and felt totally calm. I guess when it fails me I'll die.
Old March 4, 2008, 05:53 PM   #25
Desslock

Buy an old Huffy Sigma for those "bad neighborhood" rides...Next time someone tries that, ghost ride it right into their nether-regions.