The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2001, 10:25 AM   #1
RugerSAfan

RCBS Cowboy Dies

What are the performance advantages of the RCBS Cowboy dies for the .45 LC versus the "normal" rcbs .4l LC set?
Old December 18, 2001, 11:10 PM   #2
WES DAKOTA

rcbs cowboy dies...

i'm using 6 or 8 different sets of these. the 45colt sets also load 45s+w and come with both .452 and .454 expander plugs. the 38/40 and 44/40 sets flatout load better lead bullet cartridges than the regular rcbs dies. the 32/40 set was effed up from the gitgo as it would not turn a crimp but i use lee fcd's in everything anyways.
the cowboy dies do turn a better crimp than most of the regular dies [ other than that p o s 32/20 die ]
i do despise those stupid non-locking brass lock rings on all of them though; have replaced everyone with the regular rcbs hexhead lockrings that by god lock in place. gee, what a concept.
oh, one other bitch, that stupid paper box they come in sucks canal water bigtime too.
other than that i couldn't be happier with them...
Old October 6, 2005, 02:58 PM   #3
college

RCBS Cowboy action die boxes

Wes Dakota,
I know this is a dated post which you had up. But I just read it and I just got in my RCBS Cowboy Action .357 dies. The lock nut HAS a set screw in it. The box is a light brown plastic just like the green ones. I contacted RCBS and they said PLEASE contact him and tell him to call us and we will send him a plastic die box and the three locking rings with set screws.
I hope this help. RCBS has been great to me.
Old October 6, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Zekewolf

"RCBS Cowboy Dies"

That's sad news. I didn't even realize that the RCBS Cowboy had been sick. Did he suffer?
Old October 6, 2005, 05:10 PM   #5
college

Oh!!!
Old October 6, 2005, 06:08 PM   #6
WIL TERRY

Well Now, All That Is Old Is New Again!!!

I have done this some time back, maybe a year ago, and they replaced all eight cardboard die boxes with the new cowboy brown plastic boxes.
I also bought a new set of COWBOY DIES in 30-30 last winter and they came in that nice box and had the octagon locking die rings so maybe my bellyaching back when the COWBOY DIES first came out did some good.
I will still say these dies load superb lead bullet ammunition in every caliber I've ever used. Right now I am doing a lot of work with the 44RUSSIAN and the COWBOY 44SPL/44RUS dies have worked perfectly with simultaneous seating and crimping.
Thanks for your kindness in thinking of me, Sir.