The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 16, 2011, 05:08 PM   #26
Ringolevio

Why I'm less eager to be someone's hero

TailGator:
Quote:
I think it a valid point that we should not assume that all females are innocent because of their sex. Men sometimes have to defend themselves against women. And as has been posted on TFL many times, women who are victims of domestic abuse often paradoxically attack their defender, in defense of their own attacker/husband/boyfriend. It makes for a very difficult and volatile situations in which LE professionals tread quite carefully.
Boy, can I relate to this! When I was about 7 my dad told me, my mom and my baby sister to wait on the streetcorner while he crossed the street and broke up a big fight between 2 groups of men. That stayed with me and over the years I have intervened and broken up fights that did not involve me at all.

But one night many years ago, in Seattle, I was driving in my truck, windows open, and heard a woman screaming bloody murder. I turned the corner and saw a guy beating the hell out of this woman, up against a wall, repeatedly punching her face to a bloody pulp.

At that time my only weapon was a sawed-off Louisville Slugger I kept under the seat, plus I had my dog with me. I stopped the truck and my dog and I leaped out and confronted the guy. I grabbed his shoulder and swung him around and said, "What the **** is goin' on here?" I had the bat in my hand and my arm cocked to swing, and my dog was ready to jump on him also.

Before anybody could do anything, the woman started screaming at me, "YOU TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF OF HIM!!"

i was shocked, but I said, "You guys DESERVE each other!" and my dog and I got back in the truck and got out of there. Ever since then, I've been considerably less eager to intervene, even when the situation seems to clearly call for intervention.

And now that I'm routinely armed, I am even LESS inclined to get involved in a situation that clearly doesn't involve me, ESPECIALLY if it's between a man and a woman!
Old June 22, 2011, 02:56 PM   #27
Tengu01

I have to concure with what BikerBill posted . Unless you positively ID the BG ( Bad Guy ) , Don't fire . Call 911 and let 5-0 sort it out . A shame , that story .