The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2007, 09:36 AM   #101
Desert01

Darn, you beat me on that one. I will add it to my purchase list
Old November 28, 2007, 01:35 PM   #102
Austin Cowart

new parts??????????????????????

finally a new charging handle. out of curiosity does anyone know why choate makes their shotgun pistol stock UGLY AS SIN? is there some form of ergonomic innovation that im not aware of becasue if the one they are making looks like the ones they already sale it ist going anywhere near my baby. unless it does something neat like a knoxx.
Old November 30, 2007, 11:53 AM   #103
Desert01

CT.

The Jan, 08 Shooting Times has a review of the 930 SPX by Greg Rodriguez, while attending a Blackwater shotgun course.

Also reply from Choate on the CHARGING Handle. Looks like end of Feb, 08!!
Old November 30, 2007, 10:35 PM   #104
dwc1973

thanx for the heads up Smitty. looking forward to getting one when made available. and i'll probably look at that new charging handle as well.
Old December 1, 2007, 03:05 PM   #105
Austin Cowart

alright

Now that the nostalgia of getting one of these has worn off and now that every time I bring it to the range I don’t have 3 guys asking to see it I have finally sat down as started nit picking. Has anyone replaced their mag tub spring yet? I’m actually having trouble getting the last round out of the tube when im unloading. Also where can I find a plastic follower for the tube the stock one has been binding up more than I would like... I know this is due to the fact that the spring is not strong enough but I would prefer a high vis one. And lastly has anyone gotten around to putting an edwards recoil reducer in theirs? I know Desert was talking about doing so but im not shelling out any money right now if they arnt going to fit or cant be adapted. thanks guys.

Cheers
Austin
Old December 6, 2007, 04:24 AM   #106
geekdom

SPX is hard to find!

I can't find one locally (Arizona) anywhere. Does anyone have the scoop as to when Mossberg might start catching up with the demand?

Thanks
Old December 6, 2007, 10:49 AM   #107
Smitty in CT

What part of AZ are you in??

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 6, 2007, 11:46 AM   #108
Austin Cowart

well

there is one for sale in the classifides. 475 i think.
Old December 6, 2007, 12:50 PM   #109
Desert01

SIDE SADDLES ARE IN I added a 3 Gun Gear side saddle last night, hopefully will get to run it through it's paces before Christmas. I have been looking at one of these since I over tightened my 11-87's side saddle, just never got around to it. I had to trim it some as they are not templated for the 930 yet. Picks to follow.....

From 3 Gun Gear

Also 2 are availible on Gun Broker:
930 SPX
930 SPX
Old December 6, 2007, 02:40 PM   #110
Austin Cowart

WHAT???????????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Hooray!
Old December 6, 2007, 09:13 PM   #111
familywgn

curious, but can you remove the magazine extension, if you wanted to use the shotgun for hunting?
Beretta Neos .22
Old December 6, 2007, 09:32 PM   #112
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by familywgn
curious, but can you remove the magazine extension, if you wanted to use the shotgun for hunting?
You can remove the extention, then you would need a new cap...or. you can use a dowel plug.

BUT...with the gun's cylinder bore barrel you will be seriously handicapped for most hunting situations...

Of course, you can buy seperate barrels on Mossberg's website that would make it more suitable for hunting. I have put my 28" barrel from my 930 "field" gun on my SPX and tried to do some "Tom Knapp" style shooting with hand thrown clays... Lots of fun, lets just say Tom doesn't have to worry about me taking any appearence fees from him anytime in the foreseeable future.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 6, 2007, 10:29 PM   #113
geekdom

Smitty, I'm in the East Valley - Chandler to be exact.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:16 PM   #114
BAGTIC

I could go for a 20 gauge also.

My 12 gauge M 1100 defense gun is just too large for my smallish wife.
Old December 7, 2007, 05:53 PM   #115
familywgn

Smitty in CT, what do you mean by this?

BUT...with the gun's cylinder bore barrel you will be seriously handicapped for most hunting situations...

I know nothing about about shotguns, and am just looking for a good all around HD and hunting shotgun. This Mossberg looks cool and that's a plus
Beretta Neos .22
Old December 8, 2007, 12:45 PM   #116
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by familywgn
Smitty in CT, what do you mean by this?

The effective range of a shotgun with a cylinder bore is somewhere around 25 yards. The farther you get away from the shotgun the "spread" of the shot opens up. A "choke" helps tighten the spread of shot...

Think of the shot from a gun as water from a garden hose, the choke is the nozzle the "tighter" the nozzle (choke) the farther the effectife range of the shot goes out there..

The 930SPX has a cylinder bore which is an "open" choke, it is designed to work at defensive distances, not 40 yards, as typical for hunting.

I hope this explains it a little.

Old December 8, 2007, 08:38 PM   #117
mike240

Where to get one in Chandler....I had Clyde at Pistol Parlour order mine..Had it in 3 days..paid 525.00 2 months ago
Old December 9, 2007, 09:36 PM   #118
Enron Exec

Hey guys, i have a lil range report on my 930 SPX. It failed to extract some light Winchester Universal bird shot load, the one in the red and silver box. The bolt didnt go back far enough so im pretty sure its because the load was just too wimpy. I dropped some Remington and Federal birdshot and it fired/cycled just fine. The Rem is prb the strongest of the 3, for their cheap birdshot load.

Still, love this gun! I got alot of looks and questions at the range today. teehee.
Old December 10, 2007, 11:10 PM   #119
geekdom

mike240, thanks for the info!
Old December 17, 2007, 07:24 AM   #120
cabbynate

Can you shoot these slugs with the SPX?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...665&t=11082005
Old December 17, 2007, 07:34 PM   #121
dwc1973

sorry bout that
Old December 17, 2007, 09:44 PM   #122
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbynate
Can you shoot these slugs with the SPX?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...665&t=11082005
These slugs are sabot slugs, you could shoot them through your SPX but the accuracy will not be as good as if you were to use a rifled or Foster style slugs.

Brenneke Type Slugs- Designed for smootbore barrels.
The Brenneke slug is similar in appearance to a rifled Foster slug. The Brenneke slug was developed by Wilhelm Brenneke in 1898. The original Brenneke slug is a solid lead slug with fins cast onto the outside, much like a rifled Foster slug. There's a plastic, felt or cellulose fiber wad attached to the base that remains attached after firing. This wad serves both as a gas seal and as a form of drag stabilization, much like the mass-forward design of the Foster slug. The fins serve to provide spin after the slug exits the barrel, and also provide an easily deformed surface to allow the slug to pass through choked shotgun barrels.
the Brenneke slug is solid, rather than hollow like the Foster slug, the Brenneke will generally deform less on impact and provide deeper penetration (see terminal ballistics). The sharp shoulder and flat front of the Brenneke mean that its external ballistics restrict it to short range use, as it does not hold velocity well. The Brenneke slug in 12 gauge is well suited for large and dangerous game at close ranges, and deer sized game or antipersonnel use out to about 100 yards (meters). Brenneke slugs are somewhat more accurate than the Foster slugs, but are usually more expensive.

A Foster slug, invented by Karl Foster in 1931, is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired through a smoothbore shotgun barrel. The defining characteristic of the Foster slug is the deep hollow in the rear, which places the center of mass very near the tip of the slug, much like a shuttlecock. If the slug begins to tumble in flight, the drag will tend to push the slug back into straight flight. This gives the Foster slug stability and allows for accurate shooting out to ranges of about 75 yards (about 70 meters). Most Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug that are used to impart spin as the slug travels through the air. Once the slug is spinning, it becomes as stable as a bullet fired from a rifle.

Old December 18, 2007, 03:12 AM   #123
cabbynate

Thanks Smitty!!!!!!
Old January 4, 2008, 10:42 PM   #124
dwc1973

i've been emailing folks about pist/grip stock for my spx but haven't been getting much headway. i have even contacted mossberg and did receive a response stating that they had no intention of producing a "pistol grip" for it (i asked about a pist/grip stock but they thought i meant just the grip it seems).

still, the fact that no other responses have left me a bit confused. this is an outstanding autoloader with great potential. every time i take it to the range, it continues to impress me and everyone else around. mossberg is letting a real opportunity pass right through their fingers if they ignore the aftermarket potential of this shotgun.

if anyone knows of any manufacturers/products out there then a reply would be appreciated.
Old January 4, 2008, 11:00 PM   #125
Smitty in CT

Choate Machine is working on it, the latest ship date that I've heard was February '08....

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...3&NewProduct=0

The only problem is that it's butt ugly..... I also found out that if I put this stock on my SPX, it becomes a Destructive Device according to CT laws...