The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Got my Lee Load Master

Just came in yesterday. I am a bit disappointed in the 9mm complete kit. No Lee manual as I expected, 3 die set not 4. I am going to the Library today to see if they have the Lee manual or any other manuals. I have the Lyman manual and its good but still leaves me wanting a little more info.
Other than that th quality of the unit is so/so. This is my first press and by trade im a machinist so my expectations of machinery are pretty high. I guess for the cost of the Lee press I shouldn't have expected to much. $225 doesn't allow for a whole lot of manufacturing. The most disappointing thing is the indexing. I didn't expect it to be accomplished with a plastic shoe that rides on the outside of the frame.
I also expected a powder check system, powder cop or something.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 31, 2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Jimro

There are very good reasons that most of us don't recommend a progressive press as your first press.

Head over to http://loadmastervideos.com/ and watch the videos to help get your press running smoothly.

Jimro
Old January 31, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Xfire68

Quote:
I also expected a powder check system, powder cop or something.
I don't know of one manufacture that has powder cop/check as standard equipment. It is always a option.

Some of the parts on any item you buy are cheap plastic because of costs and in some cases (Like with the Lee Turret press) it is to keep a more expensive part from breaking.

There is a small plastic part in the LCT that is used in the indexing system. Some complain it should be made of metal because it wares out or breaks. Well those little plastic parts save more expensive parts from breaking and to be honest they only ware out or break quickly if your using your press improperly. I broke a few when I first started using the LCT and now I have the same one in use for the last 2 years with 1,000's of rounds loaded.

As to load data you should be able to load a number of common loads using data from the Lyman manual or get data from the powder or bullet manufactures websites.