The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Harry Callahan

First time Skeeter!

All,

I usually shoot Trap. I'm nobody special. I think my best score is 23/25. Big deal. I tried Skeet for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was always intimidated by it for some reason and shyed away from it, thinking I'd embarrass myself. I've watched some friends do it and after some prodding from them I finally gave in and tried it. All I can say is WOW! It's a completely different animal and I find myself falling in love with it. My next question, is it cheating if I use a HD shotgun? I was using a Remington 1100 Tact 4 with a 22" barrel, full choke. Kind of unorthodox, huh? I nailed 18/25! I thought that was pretty good for someone doing it for his first time. Am I cheating?
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old August 12, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Method

Keep in mind that I'm a junior member, so I'll defer to the opinion of the more senior folks if they disagree.

1. I don't think you're cheating. As long as you're using the proper ammunition (i.e. if 12ga, then no more than 1 1/8oz) and not violating the range rules (my range does not allow "tactical" or short barrel weapons to be used), the gun you use makes no difference. I've seen shooters use O/U, auto-cycling, and even pump action.

2. Your performance might increase if you switch out the full choke for a cylinder or skeet choke. Since skeet is shot at such short ranges, you want your pattern to spread out as quickly as possible to increase your chances of a dead bird.

3. If you're really interested, check out http://www.nssa-nsca.org/ to see if there are any registered events or clubs in your area. I got introduced to skeet about four months ago and fell hard for it. I'm now out each weekend practicing and started entering the registered shoots a month ago. You compete with people at your own skill level for prizes...not against the AAA shooters. I actually took runner up in my class for two events at the club championships here.

4. If you really get into this, you'll find most serious shooters are using an O/U shotgun with a good amount of auto-loaders in there also. The Remington 1100 sporting is a popular (and generally well regarded) choice. Otherwise you'll see most folks shooting Krieghoff, Kolar, Blaser, or Browning (all in O/U). Granted...most of those cost an arm and a leg. I'm saving up over the course of a few years to eventually get myself a top tier competition gun. In the meantime, I shoot with a used Winchester sporting model. Got my first 25-straight a couple weeks back, so it's not like you need the big name guns to break-em-all.

Welcome to the fold of skeet fanatics. I love the hobby, not just for the sport of it, but because the people I've met at my local range have been fantastic. I've found the skeet shooting community to be quite enjoyable.

Cheers!!

Correction: From section 1 - When I say the gun makes no difference, I mean in regards to the cheating concern. Having the right gun does make all the difference for shooting and improving your scores. I recommend something with an adjustable comb so that you can tailor the fit to your specific needs.

Last edited by Method; August 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
zippy13

You're not cheating, but you are handicapping yourself with that rig. Your initial score of 18 is a great start -- congratulations. I've seen newbies, with Skeet guns, struggle to break 10 their first time out. Before you try Skeet again, do yourself a favor and get a Skeet screw-in choke.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
dalecooper51

Well done.

As noted above, a more open choke, somewhere between cylinder and IC, will definitely help. As long as you are safe and having fun who cares what you shoot. I like to shoot my Riot gun at least a couple boxes a month at the skeet field. I like the trigger time and I was able to go 84 / 100 last weekend with a 20" rifle sighted IC barrel. With a field barrel, I normally shoot in the 90's.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5
BigJimP

No, you're not cheating ...and I think you did well / with equipment that presents a number of handicaps in terms of swing characteristics that might help your scores long term..../ most of us, for clay target games like Skeet and Sporting Clays ..want a gun that has 30" barrels ...and adjustable screw in chokes so we can optimize our swing / and follow thru characteristics on the gun ....shorter guns present all kinds of different swing characteristics.

But if you're just a casual shooter...shoot whatever gun you want ...as long as you're safe, nobody will care.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Shakgul

Method

If you register with nssa can you shoot at clubs you are not a member of if it's a nssa shoot?
Old March 28, 2013, 12:37 AM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
If you register with nssa can you shoot at clubs you are not a member of if it's a nssa shoot?
Yes, gun clubs want to encourage competitive shooters, and as long as the tournament isn't sold out (at full capacity) all NSSA members are welcome. There some shoots that are restricted to shooters from certain areas (like a state or zone championship) or ability (AA/AAA only). Also, most NSSA member clubs will allow guests to shoot practice rounds if fields are available.

You don't register with NSSA, you join it like any other club. It's the tournament targets that are registered, as opposed to practice targets. A typical weekend tournament consists of four 100-target events shot with .410-bore, 28, 20 and 12-ga. guns. It's not uncommon for new shooters to compete with only one gauge (you can shoot a 20-ga. in a 12-ga. event). Also, many clubs participate in the NSSA's league programs (similar to a bowling league where you shoot a few rounds every week). As Method mentioned, the NSSA's website is full of information.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:20 AM   #8
BigD_in_FL

As long as the club doesn't have a policy about barrel lengths shorter than 26"(and many do), no you are not cheating - but as Zippy said you are handicapping yourself with that full choke (and IMO that short barrel). Skeet is all about swing on the target - short barrels tend to start fast and then STOP just as fast - at the wrong time. If you start to get into this more and more, you'll want to pickup a 28" barrel with the Remchokes.

THEN - when you are really feeling froggy and brave, you'll slide over to the 5-stand. After that it is only a matter of time before you come over to the dark side - sporting clays.......
Old April 4, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
okiefarmer

The advice I'm given over and over is "when ya think you're a hot dog, take your show on the road". I'm just out to have fun, and don't care if I am better or worse than anyone else.