The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 3, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Daugherty16

Obama Administration Finally Admits Desire to Reinstitute Assault Weapon Ban

during his testimony on the hill yesterday, Atrorney General Eric Holder actually admitted that this administration wants to reinstitute the so call "assault weapon" ban. So, now that it is out in public view, why isn't anyone talking about it?

He says it right about 2:27:50 when the condescending idiot Connelly served it up to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqt5mgtI3w
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old February 3, 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Cognitive dissonance. Holder testified that the AWB had a positive effect on the decrease we've seen in crime. That completely ignores the fact that violent crime continued to DECREASE after the AWB was allowed to expire. In short, there is (and was) NO demonstrable cause-effect relationship between the AWB and crime statistics.
Old February 3, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
thallub

Holder can talk all kinds of stuff. An "assault weapons" ban is not in the cards.
Old February 3, 2012, 08:38 PM   #4
MTT TL

Explaining how crime rates continue to drop with massive proliferation of semi-automatic rifles will be difficult evidence and make a tough sell for a new ban.
Old February 3, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Research sponsored by the DOJ demonstrated no effect on any crime index by the AWB. Stupid statement - have to listen to it when I get a chance.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

"This administration has consistently favored the reinstatement of the Assault Weapons Ban. It is something that we think was useful in the past in regards to the reduction we've seen in crime, and certainly, has had a positive impact on the crime situation and our relationship with Mexico."

I caught Holder's utterance as well. Fortunately, he has no way of affecting such legislation.

Notice at 02:26:00, Connelly asks if there's a penalty for straw purchasing. Holder admits that there is, but that the punishment is akin to a "speeding ticket." A straw purchase is punishable by ten years in prison. If people are getting off the hook, whose fault is that?

Oh, yeah.

Last edited by Tom Servo; February 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

He's desperately trying to gain support, hoping to keep out of jail. Many folks on the left are as disgusted with the gun-running plot as any on the right.
Old February 4, 2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
during his testimony on the hill yesterday, Atrorney General Eric Holder actually admitted that this administration wants to reinstitute the so call "assault weapon" ban. So, now that it is out in public view, why isn't anyone talking about it?
Holder actually said something similiar when Mr. Obama was first elected. I don't think it is a surprise to any one that Mr. Obama would like to reinstitue the AWB.
Old February 4, 2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Pilot

Remember, Holder/Obama can't just institute and AWB. They need Congress to pass it, so write your Congressmen (Senate, and House) and make your feeling known on any "gun or ammo bans". Make it clear that you will not vote for anyone who supports anti-gun legislation.

I do believe Obam will continue to use other means to limit legal firearm use through the EPA in lead bullet bans, etc. We need to fight that also.
Old February 4, 2012, 11:42 AM   #10
USAFNoDak

In years past, the media and anti gun politicians used to trott out poll numbers which showed that the majority of americans would favor a ban on so-called "assault weapons". I haven't seen one of those in some time. I wonder what it would look like today.

They would rely on the confusion between semiautomatic military style guns and full auto military style guns to try and sway the poll respondents to answer in the affirmative for an assault weapons ban. There were many people who didn't realize that the 94 ban was a ban on semiautomatics and had nothing to do with full auto firearms. My father in law, a retired police officer, was of that mindset until I let the truth set him free. I asked him why he thought it was a ban on full autos and he stated that he'd seen a news report about it on TV where they were firing machine guns.

Anybody remember how NBC did that news report, talking about the assault weapons ban and showing people firing full auto machine guns at cinder blocks to demonstrate the "power" of assault weapons?

If they are not running this poll any longer, maybe it's a sign that the numbers have changed and more of "the people" have figured it out. We can only hope that's the case.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old February 4, 2012, 11:45 AM   #11
USAFNoDak

I bet Diane Feinstein and Charles Schumer got tingles running up their legs when Holder talked about the assault weapons ban being good for america, during his testimony before Issa's committee.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old February 4, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

I remember that after the 2008 election, Holder started talking about the AWB but was shut up from above. Wonder if this comment will catch the political advisors' attention again? Time for him to walk fast away from the position. It is always the cover-up. How stupid!
Old February 4, 2012, 03:49 PM   #13
USAFNoDak

One person we could thank is Howard Dean. His plan to get control of congress for the democrats was to run more "gun friendly" politicians in states which were more rural but had lots of "socially conservative" democrats. He was head of the DNC and realized they were giving up those states to republicans because of their anti gun message and socially liberal planks in the democrat party platform. When the dems took more seats in congress, those seats were occupied by democrats who were not anxious to vote for more gun control, including a renewed assault weapons ban, despite what the liberal leadership of the party and Obama would like to do.
Old February 4, 2012, 03:55 PM   #14
USAFNoDak

Quote:
I do believe Obam will continue to use other means to limit legal firearm use through the EPA in lead bullet bans, etc. We need to fight that also.
With his blatant public demonstrations to bypass congress whenever he feels it's necessary, this is the biggest danger we face with regards to more gun control being implemented. He's going to have to stay quiet through 2012 in hopes that he can get re elected. If he does get re elected, look for him to do whatever he can to "infringe" upon the peoples right to keep and bear arms. He won't have to face re election. If he can get two more liberal, anti second amendment judges placed on the supreme court, he won't have to worry about that hurdle either. He will be a dangerous president if re elected, with respect to gun rights.
Old February 4, 2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Salmoneye

Quote:
Notice at 02:26:00, Connelly asks if there's a penalty for straw purchasing. Holder admits that there is, but that the punishment is akin to a "speeding ticket." A straw purchase is punishable by ten years in prison. If people are getting off the hook, whose fault is that?
I did INDEED notice...So much so that I stopped the vid and looked up the 'penalty'...

It is indeed punishable by up to 10 years, and $10,000 fine...

I also understand whose fault it is that this is not enforced to the fullest...
Old February 4, 2012, 06:12 PM   #16
HarrySchell

Seems to me if Holder really is enamoured of punishing straw purchasers, he has the evidence to nail a whole flock of them. Why be it he hasn't? Heh...you know I had to ask.
Old February 4, 2012, 06:21 PM   #17
MTT TL

Because it is just like getting a speeding ticket... didn't you listen to him talking? Don't you believe him?
Old February 4, 2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Romeo 33 Delta

Holder just annoys me no end ... he's like a fly ... you all know how the rest of that one goes ... right?
Old February 4, 2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Patriot86

Lets do it because it helps Mexico....that is a line that is going to get Obama re-elected oh yeah....the current administration is just so out of touch.
Old February 4, 2012, 08:52 PM   #20
vranasaurus

I want to know where in America speeding tickets are punished by ten years in prison?
Old February 4, 2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Connelly asks if there's a penalty for straw purchasing."

Gerry Connelly is my congressman.

He's also been a friend of mine for quite a few years, and when he was on the Fairfax County Board he appointed me to several county commissions.

Over the years I've had a number of what I thought were good discussions with him regarding firearms. I and a good gun-rights friend and neighbor who worked as one of his aides when he was with the county thought that we had made a lot of headway with Gerry regarding personal liberties, firearms, and the like.

The second he got to Congress he pretty much forgot everything we taught him.

I consider it to be one of my great failings in life.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 4, 2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

First off, the administration didn't admit to anything. A member of the administration did.

Second, we can discuss the issues surrounding a reinstated AWB, but we don't veer off into purely political tangents. Who pays their fair share of taxes, who hasn't provided a birth certificate, "leftists," and ZOG are not acceptable topics for discussion. We're not even at page 2 yet, and I'm already deleting posts. That doesn't bode well for this thread.
Old February 5, 2012, 01:46 PM   #23
USAFNoDak

Diane Feinstein once remarked that if she could have gotten the votes, she would have pushed the legislation, and Mr. and Mrs. America would have had to turn them all in. She was referring to assault weapons. Now, like then, they don't have the votes in congress. Of course, that could always change. However, as Howard Dean realized, gun control has not been a winning platform for the democrats at the national level. With crime rates continuing to decline, gun control is probably not going to become a winning issue for the democrat party. Obama may try to push the issue via any EO he thinks he can get away with. He won't do anything in 2012 which could jeopardize his re election chances. If he gets re elected and has an opportunity to put three justices on the US Supreme Court, that will present a big danger.
Old February 5, 2012, 04:06 PM   #24
maestro pistolero

If there is a second term, i have no doubt that it will be attempted. Right now, there's too much to lose.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:10 PM   #25
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Obama may try to push the issue via any EO he thinks he can get away with.
The exact limitations on what one can due via Executive Order haven't been hashed out, but trying to flaunt a Supreme Court ruling and institute policies that aren't supported by the legislature would trigger intensive backlash from those two branches. Heck, it might be fun to see.

Would he try it? From what I've seen, I wouldn't rule it out. I'd like to say that an actual legislative attempt to pass gun control would find little support in the current Congress, but looking at the vote tally for the original VCCLEA makes me wonder.

Remember that Clinton's second term looked grim. The other guys had control of Congress, and they weren't going to vote for gun control. No way, no how. Or, um, maybe. The lines on that vote were pretty blurry.

Of course, Clinton was better at reaching across the aisle to his opposition, we had a different balance on the Supreme Court, and cultural attitudes were different, but that pendulum can swing back in time.