The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 26, 2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Big Don

BSA optics: opinions needed

I'm considering the purchase of a BSA holographic sight from Midway; the price is decent and I don't want to drop a load of money (that I don't have ) on a sight for the rifle that will be used in our monthly combat matches.
Does anyone have experience with BSA products? Is this a good or bad idea?
Don
Old March 26, 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
sholling

BSA isn't known for quality or durability. It's usually on the same level as a Tasco and I'm told are often made on the same Chinese production lines. After reading horror stories on rimfirecentral I went with a Bushnell red dot. it's bulky but solid. I'm also trying out another brand of cheapie holographic site but so far I'm not impressed enough to give out the name.
Old March 26, 2008, 07:05 AM   #3
CPTMurdoc30

I have 1 BSA scope. It is a 6-18x40mm on my 22lr. I have had a BSA 36x44mm platnum target scope that did not hold POA. I sold it for $25 to a guy for his turkey shoot shotgun. I would not trust them on any centerfire rifle.
Old March 27, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

I have had 2 BSA red dots, and both have been great...its a good starter optic, but I wouldnt expect it to stand up to a beating like a duty weapon would see...
Old August 18, 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Vstrom

I would not waste your money! I have one and the thing needed to be disassembled to re solder a wire after 100 rounds! Its hard to change the battery, and it cannot be used with both eyes opened the sight picture is off. I had it on a Glock 35 and it would not hold point of aim after a couple of hundred rounds,shot bullets allover and gave a 6" group at 50 ft. took the scope off and I had a 11\2" group!? I hand load and I have to use Lead indoors where I shoot so the sight did not take much abuse with recoil. Its built well enough but will not stand up to much abuse! I will put it on my Neotec, if it does not work out in the trash it will go!! maybe a Bushnell Holographic next.
Old August 18, 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
boltgun71

I have a BSA red dot scope and after just a few hours of use the switch broke and it wont turn off now. It now sits on a paintball gun and I have to take the battery in and out to operate it, the power button is completely worthless on it. If I were you I would spend just a little more money and get something higher quality.
Old August 18, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Inspector3711

+1 for the Bushnell Red Dot. They need to improve their battery life though!