The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Thegooch270

Another question on pistol grip or standard shotgun stock

Looking at buying an new shotgun and it's down to the Remington 870 express tactical or the 870 express tactical A-Tacs. Essentially the same gun except the A-Tacs has an A2 style pistol grip. So what are the advantages and disadvantages to the two types of stock options.
Old February 19, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2
WV_gunner

Pistol grips can be fun to play around with, but if it's your only shotgun, I'd go with one that has a full stock. Or you could get a folding stock to have both. I've shot a Mossburg with the stock folded, shooting 00 and slugs, it isn't all that bad at all with recoil. But if you're looking for long range shooting or some kind of competetion shooting, get a full stock.
Old February 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I've used a couple of different hand grip type stocks on my 870PM over the past four years or so. I have gone back to a normal stock, a cut down Speedfeed.

I would buy the normal stocked gun. You can find used hand grip stocks super cheap if you want to play with one.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Thegooch270

Well the pistol grip stock on the A-Tacs is a full stock with a pistol grip, similar to that of a M-16.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

Use whichever feels best to you. There are no control interference issues with a pistol grip type shoulder stock on an 870.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Irish B

I converted my 870 to the pistol grip and shock absorbing adjustable stock. It makes for fun easy target shooting but it's made me significantly less accurate in wing shooting