The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 28, 2001, 05:06 AM   #1
Jhp147

Smython

In the revolver forum, they are discussing three inch Colt Python barrels being available for 93 bucks. I recall articles in the late 70's on Python bbls. being put on K-frame Smiths and also on on Ruger Security Sixes (nicknamed Cougars).
Question: Can any of you tell me if the Python bbl. could be put on an L-frame, and if so, can it be done without major metal surgery and expense?
Old August 28, 2001, 08:04 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

It depends on the shank dia and tpi. The Smith K would need a shank .542-36tpi. I've got the Python dimensions around here somewhere I just can't put my hand on it. (Read remember what book it's in). George
Old August 28, 2001, 08:11 AM   #3
buzz_knox

Yes, it can be done, and I don't think the "operation" is that damaging to the patient. Whether it's reversible is another question.

Ayoob had an article about a tricked up Smython in one of his annuals a few years back. I'll see if I can track it down.
Old August 28, 2001, 03:21 PM   #4
HankB

Considering what's been happening to quality control at Colt's in recent years, I don't know what you'd hope to accomplish by putting one of today's Python barrels on a Smith.

Wouldn't you also need to put in a ball crane lock or something, since - IIRC - the Colt barrels don't lock up the end of the ejector rod?
Old August 28, 2001, 04:45 PM   #5
Jim V

Don't most, if not all, of the L frames have Python looking barrels anyway?
Old August 28, 2001, 06:20 PM   #6
Jhp147

addit...

HankB, I have not kept up with the problems at Colt. I don't think that the 3 inchers are a recent thing, but I could be wrong. As far as the lock up, I'm not sure. I'm sure the articles on doing it answered it, and I seem to recall it being very easy, at least for a K frame.
JimV, the L frames have an underlugged bbl., but without the vent rib, it is not as sharp looking in my eyes. Again, I recall the photos in the article, and the vent rib on the Colt bbl. and the S&W frame really matched well.
Buzz, if you come up with the article and can get some info, that would be great, but don't bust your hump, it's just sort of a "wondering" thing for me. If you can post a photo, that would be great. Was it on a K or L or do you recall?
Thanks, George, also.
I had a 3 inch 686 once, called the CS-1. I am still kicking myself for selling it. I want a 3 inch L or K, something like one of the PC Smiths but without the ports, pretty bad, for some reason.
Old August 28, 2001, 08:13 PM   #7
Jim V

AFAICR, the Smolts were all done on K frames. I don't believe that the L frame had hit the market at that time.