The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Crashbox

Loading .35 Whelen.

Yesterday I picked up a Remington 700 in .35 Whelen and have now ordered dies, brass and some bullets so it will be a functional rifle. Reading about this cartridge, it is essentially a .358-06 and apparently likes medium-ish burn rate powders such as Reloder 15, IMR 4320, et cetera (a good thing since my .405 Win likes them too). I ordered some Speer 220-grain bullets just to give her a try.

I was wondering who else out there loads for this cartridge, what powders and bullets you use (and mold(s)/lube/alloy if you cast), and any other information you might find useful to relay on.

Thank you very much in advance.

P.S. I just recently discovered the secret item they put on firearms which cause a person to purchase them in very short order. The chemical/drug is known as Buyitol(R) (Sodium Emptywalletane, U.S.P.)...
Old July 6, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
black mamba

Varget and A2520 are excellent powders, too. They will work well for bullets of 220-250 grains. For the lighter 180-200 grain bullets, A2015 or either 4895 are hard to beat.

I also like the RCBS 250 gr GC #57944 over A5744 for inexpensive practice loads.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:03 AM   #3
TheBear

For hunting i used 34gr of 5744 under a 200gr RN cast bullet with GC (some saeco/rcbs mould) lubed with supermoly bullet lube and sized to .359.

For plinking and small game hunting i used the same bullet without the GC over 26gr of IMR4227.

Gun was a rem700, i sold it 2 years ago...i kind of regret it...
Old July 7, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Crashbox

Thank you, Black Mamba and TheBear. Much appreciated.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
IKE

In my (16 1/8" counting brake) scoped SSK Encore handgun barrel I'm using the below load and I'm getting excellent accuracy.

Fire formed Winch. 30-06 brass
WLR primers
Hornady # 3505 180 gr. SSP bullet
55.0 grs. Varget
OAL 3.230
Old July 8, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Slamfire

My 35 Whelen had hangfires with AA2520 in cold weather. Ball powders are harder to ignite and this cartridge has such a slight shoulder I believe the firing pin blow is cushioned somewhat.

Also, I had issues with slower burning powders.

While I had good luck with IMR 4064, I think the best overall powder for this cartridge is IMR 3031. IMR 3031 is on the fast side of things and that is what I think this case needs.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Paul B.

Slamfire. Take a good look al Reloder15. My pet load for my .35 Whelen is 60.4gr. of Re15 and the 225 gr. barnes TSX for 2710 FPS. Smaacks elk dowm like right now. However, do start at least three full grains below that load as it is a hot one. It is safe on my custom Mauser but has proved to be too hot in my Ruger M77 and Remington M700 Classic. Barnes does not mention that load in their latest manual. It was suggested by a friend and I careully worked up to it. The Nosler manual shows 59.0 gr. of Re15 as a max load for the 225 gr. Ballisitic Tip, Accubond and Partition. That load has also proved safe in the Mauser.
A load that has proved safe in all three rifles is 53.0 gr. of H335 with all the following bullets: 250 gr. Speer Hot-Core, 250 gr. Hornady Spire Point and Round Nose bullets. Accuracy ran from 1.0" to 1.25" depending on which bullet was shot in which rifle. velocity ran from 2525 FPS to 2550 FPS.
Brass for all loads was Remington with standard Wichester primers.
As the 220 gr. Speer was mentions, it's a good bullet but may be a little too soft for top velocity from a Whelen.
I plan on sticking with the TSX in the Mauser, the 250 gr. loads for the Remington and will use the Ruger for cast bullet loads.
I've taken two Elk with that load, one at 150 yards that dropped so fast she bounced, literally. The one this last jaunary was shot at an estimated 325 to 350 yards by the guide and my hunting partner. Luckiest shot I ever made. I aimed at the chest and the bullet (TSX) broke her neck at the base of the skull. days later at the range I determined that the scope had gone bad an it was just plain out and out very good fortune I collected my animal at all. Don't let anyone kid you with the BS that a .35 Whelen is just a potent brush gun. They're far more versital than that. The .35 Whelen is rapidly becoming my most favored cartridge.
Paul B.