The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2000, 05:35 PM   #1
Futo Inu

I don't reload yet, so my questions here are hypothetical at present, but I plan to soon. I am also considering, as one possibility, getting a rifle in this chambering as a versatile hunting rifle and reloading ammo for it.

At any rate, I was looking at a few reload manuals, and it seems to me that .280 Rem, loaded with a 162 gr boattail over 56.5 grains of H-4831 is just about an optimum all-around big game load. It pushes the 162 gr bullet at 2784 fps according to Lyman's (max). The load is compressed, which means it should be consistent, and the CUP pressure is only 46,900, so your chamber and breech face should last awhile. Recoil is going to be less than a 7mm Rem Mag, with only a 200 fps loss of velocity, and brass can be formed from cheap 30-'06, IINM, so cheaper to load than 7RM (less powder too). However, the 7mm bullets' BCs are much better over a much wider range than .30, and optimize at 160/162 gr (.550 BC) Anyone use this load or a very similar one for their hunting? Is it accurate/consistent in your rifle? If so, which rifle? TIA.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited September 05, 2000).]
Old September 5, 2000, 06:16 PM   #2
HankL

What are you planning on hunting with it?
The .280 Rem like many other 7mm rounds really comes alive using 140 gr. projectiles. Using a bullet with good construction it will work fine on 200+ lb. white tails. I would also go with .280 Rem brass. After you get into reloading you will see why.
FUTO, you have wandered up on a pretty well kept, for what reason I do not know, secret.
The .280 is one of the most efficient rifle round out there!
HTH Hank
Old September 6, 2000, 05:46 AM   #3
Mel Hoskin

Futo,

I don't own a 280, but do reload for a hunting buddy. Have found that the 140 gr Nosler BT over 52.2 gr. of IMR 4350 and a Fed 210 primer is a very good deer getting combination. MV is just a tad less than what we are getting out of a Rem 7mm Mag.
Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Futo Inu:
I don't reload yet, so my questions here are hypothetical at present, but I plan to soon. I am also considering, as one possibility, getting a rifle in this chambering as a versatile hunting rifle and reloading ammo for it.

At any rate, I was looking at a few reload manuals, and it seems to me that .280 Rem, loaded with a 162 gr boattail over 56.5 grains of H-4831 is just about an optimum all-around big game load. It pushes the 162 gr bullet at 2784 fps according to Lyman's (max). The load is compressed, which means it should be consistent, and the CUP pressure is only 46,900, so your chamber and breech face should last awhile. Recoil is going to be less than a 7mm Rem Mag, with only a 200 fps loss of velocity, and brass can be formed from cheap 30-'06, IINM, so cheaper to load than 7RM (less powder too). However, the 7mm bullets' BCs are much better over a much wider range than .30, and optimize at 160/162 gr (.550 BC) Anyone use this load or a very similar one for their hunting? Is it accurate/consistent in your rifle? If so, which rifle? TIA.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited September 05, 2000).]
[/quote]

------------------
Old September 6, 2000, 07:04 PM   #4
Cactus

Futo,

You can NOT easily form .280 brass from 30-06 brass. The shoulder of .280 brass is further forward than the other 30-06 based cases. You would need to remove all of the neck and shoulder from the 30-06 case and then re-form the shoulder to make .280 cases.

The good side though is that .280 brass is easy to find in most large gun shops and most all mail order catalogs. The down side is that most of it is Remington brass.