The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 30, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Mr2005

Range bag

Looking for a recommendation on range bag to hold an xdm and a 22 handgun, 8 mags and a few boxes of amm. Needs a should strap.
Old July 30, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
pturner67

I've used an i-shot range bag for the last 4 years...it's nice...pockets for 10 mags, room for plenty of ammo, room for a few handguns, etc
Old July 30, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Botswana

Picked up some $20 Winchester brand bag at Wal-Mart and it's been great. Slots for 2 pistols and includes 2 mats/sleeves for them to go in. Plenty of room for ammo, ear protection, glasses, etc. It's not overly large but has worked great so far.

Tried to buy a bag off of Amazon and it was a total bust. It's too hard to tell how much some of these will really hold.
Old July 30, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
OPC

I've used the same Bagmaster for 10years how. Just love it.

Bagmaster Pro-Shooters Padded Medium

But I did pay a lot less, ~$80 back in the day.
Old July 30, 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
10-96

I really like my Samsonite Overnight Computer bag. It doesn't have the shoulder strap, but it does have an extendable handle and wheels. I did the shoulder strap smaller bag thing for a while, but as things go- I accumulated more stuff. Ie: Stapler, clip board, pasters, oils, spare clips, small tools, range rod, masking tape, coban tape, paper & pens, chamber flags, a few bandaids, an automotive light socket (don't know what that's doing in there or how it got there), small flashlight, stash of cash for entry fees, score book, yup- that's about it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 30, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
PawPaw

You might like this one from Midway. Everyone I know who has one likes it.

I, on the other hand, am a cheap sort, and I buy canvas tool bags from Harbor Freight. I like these 15" tool bags, and at $7.99 apiece I have several. They're roomy enough for a handgun, ammo, and other range impedimentia. I normally use one bag for each caliber.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 31, 2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Olympus

Midway Competiton Range Bag. Hands down the best bag I've owned. Bought my old man one for Christmas last year and I liked it so much that I bought one for myself. I can carry 2000 rounds of 22lr, 500 rounds of various centerfire rounds, and 4 pistols without any problem.
Old July 31, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I suggest a diaper bag, preferably with a hazmat symbol on the side. Range bags and tool bags are great, but they scream "valuable stuff waiting to be pawned." If you have to leave one in the car, it could attract thieves. I don't know of any dirty diaper thieves, though.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:26 PM   #9
browninghunter86

I have the MidwayUSA competition range bag and it is great
Old August 2, 2012, 10:08 PM   #10
huh

I really like my midway small competition bag it is on sale for 30 dollars fits everything I need and them some
Old August 3, 2012, 08:17 PM   #11
mitchntx

A friend recommended the Midway Competition range bag last year.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...tion-range-bag

A great bag and can do anything you ask of it ... from carrying multiple handguns to using it as a bench rest.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:10 AM   #12
tobnpr

Far as I'm concerned, you can't beat this bag for just over $20...
I bought three of them, nearly two years ago... and they're crammed full of stuff every month for a range trip.
All still in perfect condition...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-158
Old August 4, 2012, 12:38 PM   #13
JWT

Midway has some very good bags at reasonable prices.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:56 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Gear bags, cases...

I've seen a few good brands for sale in different colors & sizes.
Check www.uscav.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.cheaperthandirt.com www.midwayusa.com www.blackhawk.com .

5.11 Tactical, Blackhawk, Crye Precision, Tactical Tailor, MTM, and Pelican all market hard use/milspec gun cases & range bags.

Clyde
Old August 5, 2012, 01:52 AM   #15
browninghunter86

Midway has theirs on sale big time now!!! I am going to possibly pick me up another one. I like theirs too because it holds pistol magazines in the side zipper pocket and bag has ton of room and is solid built
Old August 6, 2012, 08:44 PM   #16
NYCShooter

Deleted
Old August 7, 2012, 01:57 AM   #17
Apom

I ordered the MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag (coyote color). Hoping to get it by the end of this week so I can go out to the range to try it out. If I like it. .I will pick up another for my girlfriend.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:26 PM   #18
LOUD

The Midway bag is great ,perfect!.......LOUD
Old August 9, 2012, 06:29 AM   #19
j357

Midway All the Way

As others have said, the Midway bags are great. The full size Competition version is on sale for $45 and is actually a small bag within a larger bag, along with two pistol rugs and plenty of pockets. It is quite large for some trips but I carry several guns out for the day with room to spare. I have one and couldn't be happier. Bought one for my Dad for Christmas last year and he loves his as well.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:05 AM   #20
rebs

There was a guy at the range yesterday that had a plastic type of tool box from Home Depot, he had it all lined with carpet material and had it divided into different compartments and a lift out tray. It did really look nice.
Old August 12, 2012, 08:40 PM   #21
L2R

thanks to those who recommended this. I did see a complaint about the zipper pulls and indeed one of mine failed.

I also found that I had to hunt for stuff. Everything I have is black in a black bag in a black pocket.

I searched and found dog tags for $2.50 each and fixed both problems at one time.

BTW: The pulls can be fixed. take a small screwdriver or allen wrench and push the the window in the plastic pull. The tab will pop open and you will see now the string is to be snagged by the prongs inside. So you can fix these very easily at no cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogtag.JPG (32.7 KB, 20 views)
Old August 12, 2012, 08:55 PM   #22
bmjp

This is the best bag hands down. The only comaplaintis the plastic zipper pulls. I solved this with paracord. Other than that lists of room and well worth it especially while its on sale.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:38 PM   #23
ROGER4314

I also give a "thumbs up" to the Midway full size competition range bag. I bought two of them on sale and also have a smaller "Wolf" range bag.

I put everything (and I mean everything) that I need in those bags. One bag makes every trip and one is for the rifle range and one for the pistol range. The club range passes are even in the main bag as are glasses and hearing protection. On a good day, I load all of the bags and shoot everything!

I get a call...."Let's go to the range!" I pick up those bags, grab the ammo and selected firearms of the day, a jug of water and I'm gone!

I post a "loading list" on the cabinet where I keep the bags and I'm ready in a couple of minutes. I absolutely LOVE those bags!

The full size Midway Competition bag is huge and I once wondered how I would ever fill them up. HA! It's not a mystery any more!

Flash