The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2006, 10:37 PM   #1
USP45usp

Having to go to Pocket and SOB

Well, due to circumstances not within my control, I am down to the .38spl for on body carry.

I just bought (coming in the mail) a pocket holster and an SOB.

My question is more about the SOB. I know the cons of using one but with someone that has just lost his hips and the weight is getting worse and worse to try to continue wearing IWB strong side at 430 (this is for both the Hi-Power (I keep on wishing for the Kimber back) as well as the smaller guns).

Besides remembering NOT to fall backward onto the gun, what other things should I consider with the SOB? The gun that will be carryied is the Taurus 85 with hammer.

Thanks. We can discuss the off body carry of the 9mm Hi-Power at a later date. Using a fanny pack for the time being.

Wayne
Old January 17, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Sir William

Besides risks of falling and damaging your spine, UNCOMFORTABLE while seated or driving for me. Revealed/exposed if the cover garment is too short or while taking a jacket/sweater on/off. I was "outed" once in a hug. The friend gave me a hug and said "Is that a GUN!?" Everybody heard. You need to be aware when bending over also. Watch out for confined spaces also. Check to determine if you can draw while getting in/out of your vehicle, while seated in your vehicle and while wearing heavy winter clothing.
Old January 17, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3
USNavy_233

To add to that (and I may be pointing out the obvious here) you're draw time is going to be a little slower since you're now reaching all the way across and behind your body and back to draw and present the weapon. Make sure you practice the draw enough to be very proficient.
Old January 18, 2006, 01:29 AM   #4
Sir William

You can look a little odd at parade rest while placing your hand on the grip as well. I was outed another time too. SOB again, I was at a horse race, a fellow walked underneath me in the stands, he looked up, saw my revolver and turned around and went back out. His eyes made him resemble a extra from The Fly. BIG as saucers.