The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 28, 2008, 07:55 PM   #1
357p95

Taurus 1911 slide lock/magazine issues

I just took my new 1911B to the range today and went through 150 rounds. On four separate occasions the slide did not lock back after the last round was fired. When this occurred I manually locked the slide back and the magazine was difficult to release. With the slide back on all four occasions, when the magazine did manage to disconnect the slide released. I did a full takedown and clean before taking it to the range, is this merely break in issues or is there something I should have looked at? Thanks!
Old April 28, 2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Lurch37

From my experience, almost all problems related to the issues you are having are caused by the magazines.

Quote:
With the slide back on all four occasions, when the magazine did manage to disconnect the slide released.
Your saying that when you got the mag out of the pistol, the slide released on its own after being locked back with the slide stop?

Did you try another mag?
Old April 28, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the magazine follower lip is jumping around the slide stop rather than pushing up on it. The problem can be either the magazine or the slide stop. Try this: Make sure the gun is unloaded, then remove the slide and insert an empty magazine. Look down into the mag well and observe what happens with the magazine and the slide stop. You may be able to figure out the problem and also try other magazines.

Jim
Old April 28, 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
357p95

Lurch37:

When the magazine released the slide released on it's own.

Jim:

I will give that a try, I do not have any other magazines. I was thinking of picking up a few more, do you have any suggestions as far as brands that I should look at?

Thanks again!
Old April 29, 2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Lurch37

I would first be inclined to buy a Wilson mag, such as a 47D model. There are other good mags to be sure but, I trust Wilson's and use them for all my 1911 stuff.

As for the slide releasing when you "drop" the mag...do you have to physically remove the mag from the pistol? As in, does it seem stuck until you use your fingers to pull it out? When the mag does release...the slide then instantly goes forward?

Take a look at what Jim suggested...remove the slide as if you were disassembling the pistol for cleaning. Then reinsert the slide stop and insert an unloaded mag into the mag well. You should then be able to see the way the mag follower pushes up on the slide stop...or not. It might also be snagging somehow on the slide stop and when the mag is removed, it pulls down on the slide stop, which would of course let the slide move forward.

Let us know what you see.
Old April 29, 2008, 02:13 PM   #6
357p95

I checked it out and everything seems to be normal for both mags. The mag follower pushes up on the slide stop and does not snag. I looked at the slide stop and the follower and I could not see anywhere that it was getting hung up or sliding over/around. Maybe one of the mags are not up to par---one is certainly easier to load than the other, maybe a weak spring?
Old April 29, 2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Lurch37

I guess it's possible that one mag could have a weaker spring than the other...weird but possible.

1. Did you try both mags when you were at the range that day?

2. Did they both give you the same problem?

Making sure the gun and mag is unloaded...insert a mag and rack the slide a few times manually. Do the same with the other mag. Does the slide lock back each time?
Old April 30, 2008, 12:04 AM   #8
gunfighter48

I have 4 Taurus mags for my PT1911 and they all fail to lock back once in a while. I have 5 Wilson 47Ds and they always work 100%. I use the Taurus mags for range use only. Wilson mags get used for home defense!
Old April 30, 2008, 12:14 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have owned, and worked with, a bunch of different 1911 type magazines. When I want reliability, I fall back on my WWII GI magazines; they were made under tough quality control and they always work. Avoid the fake stuff in fake GI wrapping, though.

Jim
Old May 8, 2008, 06:24 PM   #10
357p95

Well, the verdict is in......it is one of the mags. One of them consistently fails to lock the slide back after the last round. The other mag works flawlessly. Could I get away with just getting a spring to replace the one in the failing mag? Any suggestions here? Thanks!
Old May 8, 2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Old Gaffer

Just for S&Gs, see if you can get a replacement mag from Taurus under warranty. The worst that can happen is that you won't get one; a likely scenario is that you'll get one several months from now, and either way, in the interim, you'll probably want to buy a Wilson or three.

Other than this, how do you like your Taurus 1911?

I'm quasi seriously considering one for my entry Bulls Eye .45.

Yeah, I know a Les Baer is the right answer, but I just don't have that level of disposable income right now - or for the foreseeable future

All the best,
Rob
Old May 8, 2008, 07:29 PM   #12
357p95

Aside from the mag issue I am extremely pleased with it. I have 250 rounds thru it and zero ftf or fte. It shoots well out of the box and the sights were well set from the factory. It is so accurate it makes me look like I know what I'm doing out at the range Being on a budget I didn't have $1500 to spend and I'm glad I got the Taurus, it was money well spent.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:49 PM   #13
JLo35

Tuarus magazine problem...

Ok guys so this is what I found the problem to be as I had this same issue with just cycling snap caps through the gun. The slide hold back lever tends to work it's self out the left side of the frame just enough for the magazine follower to ride over the TOP of the hold back lever on the inside of the gun. Since the Tuarus factory mag followers are a thin metal it hooks over the top of the take down lever tab. This is why on the off chance the hold back did in engage even after the follower has ridden over the top of the hold back lever, as I stated earlier, the slide will release when you pull out the mag. You are pulling down on the lever from the inside. 357p95 I think you are just getting lucky with your other magazine. As it wears I think you might find you are going to have the same problem. You don't have this issue with the aftermarket Wilson mags because thay have a SOLID magazine follower and in effect CAN NOT physically ride over and get caught on top of the mag hold back catch. For ****s and giggles if you want to experiment go back to your problem mag use it till it happens again leave it in the state where it does not hold back the slide and I think you'll find the hold back lever is pushed away from the frame about 1/16" or so. Anyway I know this is an old post but just found it after purchasing a Tuarus 1911 in the last couple of days and wanted to share what I found.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:53 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

The basic problem seems to be the slide stop which is not made properly. The slide stop should NEVER be able to move out to the left unless it is at the takedown notch.

But some makers have no idea how it works and think the pressure of the plunger and spring should keep the slide stop in place. Some people even encourage this idea by advocating cutting a notch in the slide stop so the plunder can do that, but with a properly made slide stop that is not necessary.

Jim