The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2001, 08:05 PM   #1
CoreyS

Assembly of Winchester Model 12 shotgun

Anyone know how to properly break down and reassemble a Winchester Model 12 shotgun?

Mine's a 12 gauge that we inherited from my father-in-law. I don't believe it's ever been broken down and cleaned before, or at least it hasn't under my watch. I made the mistake of trying to take out the magazine tube just before heading to the range. And, I can't get it back on. In fact, I really didn't take it down beyond getting the magazine tube to slide up the barrel a bit. Luckily (or not), there was a trap shoot at our range so we couldn't have shot anyway. But, we're going to try to get back out there tomorrow over noon hour, which means I have til tonight to get it back together.

I can seem to fit the magazine tube back into the receiver the full way, but the tube will not rotate (i.e, not locking itself in).

Anyone have any info or a link to something on this? I've tried a search on the internet but haven't found anything so far. I'll keep trying.

If anyone has a scanned version of the original manuel, that would be outstanding! But for right now I'll settle for getting the things back together.

Thanks!
Old December 3, 2001, 12:27 AM   #2
JamesA

I too own a model 12.....fantanstic shotgun...If you have the tube moving up the barrel you are about there..turn tube mag all the way up the barrel then be sure the foregrip is also pushed all the way up, then twist the two halves apart..pretty easy but takes some juggling I guess if you haven't done it before. I would suggest you oil and clean it real good before putting the two halves back together. I suppose it is always easier to do it yourself than to tell someone how to do it. But really it isn't too hard once you get it all lined up properly..kinda fun play with it some you'll get it. I hope it helps, I am sure I could be more detailed but I can't...
Old December 3, 2001, 12:14 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Corey S:
I have sent by separtate email the disassem/W photos for your model 12.

HJN
Old December 3, 2001, 09:40 PM   #4
CoreyS

Well, I used the basic instructions posted here and on AR15.com and managed to get it broken down (though I couldn't get the bolt out of the receiver), cleaned and back together. I notice today at the range that I think I put the magazine tube cap retaining pin (it has two screws to hold it in as well) backwards. It wasn't going anywhere and the magazine tube wasn't twisting out, so I shot it as is with the intention to switch it later.

Basically, got everything cleaned up, removed the magazine plug and it shoots great! What an incredible clay gun! It has a 30" barrel with full choke, so I can really get the long ones. Though I've only shot clays (or even shotguns!) a handfull of times and am still perfecting my techinique.

One problem that I had (even before tinkering with it) is the rounds don't like to stay in the magazine tube. They rest on the "gate" (sorry, I don't know shotgun terminology) and when I try to put another round it, I have to keep them all from popping out. Basically, if I pushed the gate up, they'd all come straight out. My friend's Rem. 870 has a little spring loaded tab to hold them in there, if that helps. My Model 12 doesn't have anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS Thanks to Harley for taking the time to send me more detailed instructions.