The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 4, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1
drive_sideways

Good backup hunting handgun

Hey everyone, im new to this forum (joined today) an my question was what would u recommend for black bear protection/backup hunting gun? I live in the northeast so i dont want anyone recommending the 500 or anything like that, its not necessary, i wont b facing any big brownies. Revolvers? Autos? Calibers? Brands? Prices? Nothing outrageously expensive either (under 600$ wud b nice). Thanks!
Old July 4, 2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Bezoar

its not easy thing to just recommend.

what are you used to shooting? What do you have already?
Old July 4, 2014, 08:56 PM   #3
jason_iowa

One of the reasons I went with a 625 45acp revolver is because it will shoot anything from wad cutters at 800fps to 255 grain hard cast at 1100fps which will go through a blackbear from any angle. I don't worry much about bear in iowa we rarely see them. It is my daily carry gun though.

44 mag is another one that will do pretty much anything with the right bullet selection.

357 mag will also do it all with good bullet selection including black bear.

In North America you really would never need anything bigger then 357 mag it has been used to take everything even bull moose. It was the big game cartridge for many years. The bigger stuff just gives people more confidence. I have all of the above in 4in and would trust any of them anywhere for anything.
Old July 4, 2014, 09:00 PM   #4
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezoar View Post
its not easy thing to just recommend.

what are you used to shooting? What do you have already?
Ive shot a handful of handguns, 357 sig an mag, 9mm, 32, 25, 22... Recoil on all of those didnt bother me at all...
Old July 4, 2014, 09:13 PM   #5
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_iowa View Post
One of the reasons I went with a 625 45acp revolver is because it will shoot anything from wad cutters at 800fps to 255 grain hard cast at 1100fps which will go through a blackbear from any angle. I don't worry much about bear in iowa we rarely see them. It is my daily carry gun though.

44 mag is another one that will do pretty much anything with the right bullet selection.

357 mag will also do it all with good bullet selection including black bear.

In North America you really would never need anything bigger then 357 mag it has been used to take everything even bull moose. It was the big game cartridge for many years. The bigger stuff just gives people more confidence. I have all of the above in 4in and would trust any of them anywhere for anything.
Thx for the info, 45 acp is the caliber that stands out to me for a semi-auto. Any thoughts on the taurus 24/7 g2? My friend carries a Blackhawk in 357 an loves it, altho I'd prefer a double action for a revolver. We hav a healthy bear population here in Vermont, an one place i hike an hunt often has one of the biggest bear populations in the state, but honestly coy-dogs an wolves are more of a worry, they are losing there fear of humans. My friends did get charged by a bear last year while hunting an that is why i am interested in a sidearm...
Old July 4, 2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Jim243

Quote:
but honestly coy-dogs an wolves are more of a worry, they are losing there fear of humans.
Pretty much any caliber from 45 ACP up will stop them, me I like the 357 Mag as a hunting backup, BUT.............. You have a rifle in your hand??? Yes????

Does anyone see a problem here, coyotes are fair game, but aren't wolves still a protected species in your neck of the woods??

Maybe you should consider carrying a "Big Shovel" as your side arm, so you can bury the evidence before a game warden comes along, unless of course you have the proper tags for the animal you are shooting (like bear). (LOL) But then why would you just not use your rifle??

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 4, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old July 4, 2014, 09:46 PM   #7
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243 View Post
Pretty much any caliber from 45 ACP up will stop them, me I like the 357 Mag as a hunting backup, BUT.............. You have a rifle in your hand??? Yes????

Does anyone see a problem here, coyotes are fair game, but aren't wolves still a protected species in your neck of the woods??

Maybe you should consider carrying a "Big Shovel" as your side arm, so you can bury the evidence before a game warden comes along, unless of course you have the proper tags for the animal you are shooting. (LOL) But then why would you just not use your rifle??

Jim
I hav a muzzle loader i had to sell my rifle due to some financial problems last year (regretting that a lot, had a 270 wsm, was a sweet shooter) an instead of buy another rifle I'd like to get a handgun this year. They are not protected last i knew, they dont really want them around... A lot of them are mixed breed stuff according to a article i read, they are definitely not your average coyote, considering they are much larger...
Old July 4, 2014, 10:27 PM   #8
shooter1911

When I'm fly fishing the back country in Colorado I pack this 629-5 Mountain Gun loaded with 250gr Keith HC over a hefty load of W296/H110. Lightweight, and will easily go through anything that threatens me. I used to load with a 300gr but it was just too much for me to shoot quickly and accurately double action.

Old July 4, 2014, 11:26 PM   #9
drive_sideways

Seems like a nice gun! 45 acp's an 45 colts are the ones im leaning more toward i think...
Old July 5, 2014, 12:13 AM   #10
badge851

I carry this in 41 Remington Magnum.....

While the 41 Mag was discontinued you can still get the same gun in 357 Mag or 44 Mag.....

Taurus® TRACKER™ Stainless 357 Magnum
Taurus® TRACKER™ Stainless 44 Magnum
Taurus® TRACKER™ Blue 44 Magnum

Prices in my area are....
$450-$500 for new
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Last edited by badge851; July 7, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old July 5, 2014, 12:13 AM   #11
Jim243

45 ACP & 45 Colts are a good gun to carry, nice heavy bullets.

I sold off my 357's a year or two ago and went to replace one with a Taurus Tracker 4 inch in 357 Mag. But things don't always go the way you want them to and I ran across this, well I am an oldie and like old things so instead I ended up with this and was thrilled.

Model 82 - 3 inch 38 Spl.

I have to wait till Christmas to get my Tracker now. (LOL)

Jim
Old July 5, 2014, 01:47 AM   #12
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
I carry this in 41 Remington Magnum.....

While the 41 Mag was discontinued you can still get the same gun in 357 Mag or 44 Mag.....

Taurus TRACKER Stainless 357 Magnum
Taurus TRACKER Stainless 44 Magnum
Taurus TRACKER Blue 44 Magnum

Prices in my area are....
$450-$500 for new
That one has the ported barrel i see. Make quite a difference?
Old July 5, 2014, 01:50 AM   #13
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243 View Post
45 ACP & 45 Colts are a good gun to carry, nice heavy bullets.

I sold off my 357's a year or two ago and went to replace one with a Taurus Tracker 4 inch in 357 Mag. But things don't always go the way you want them to and I ran across this, well I am an oldie and like old things so instead I ended up with this and was thrilled.

Model 82 - 3 inch 38 Spl.

I have to wait till Christmas to get my Tracker now. (LOL)

Jim
It works tho! Taurus is the company i really been checking out, i like they're stuff. Good quality for a good price. Hard to beat...
Old July 5, 2014, 11:34 AM   #14
sm

Being the way I am...

My concerns have always getting into , and out of structures. Oh yes, I have always done and still appreciate handgun hunting.

That shared, while I have carried a sidearm, legally, while hunting, there is the reality there are BG's out there, being in the woods, or just leaving/returning to vehicle.

I moved from the South, and now reside in the North, and have a lifetime CCW.
So I am legal to CCW a firearm that while not legal to handgun hunt with, I still have the right/option to take care of personal responsibility.

Just my thoughts mind you...

And yes, I have had the "fun" of running into a crop of dope, and the BG's "doing the farming".

Though I was armed, I ain't got a problem with playing dumb, evading, and knowing I had the comfy support of having a concealed CCW, if matters become serious.

Not a bad idea when stopping for gas, or eats as well. Some BG's watch for such hunting folks. They have been know to break into vehicles to get guns.

Think out the box...
No. I did not feel under-armed with a Model 64, with 3" bbl and standard pressure 158 gr LSWC, nor do I with the current Model 10 snub nose, with same loads, I currently CCW.

Two legged critters and varmints can be the most challenging, and the greatest threats whilst hunting.

Steve
Old July 5, 2014, 04:55 PM   #15
Bezoar

the biggest predator i have in my area is black bear. they dont worry me. sure they can toss a 6 foot log section around like a bulldozer can.

But i am more worried about people.

taurus 66, 357 mag. 6 inch barrel. after two cylinders youll be speed shooting it just fine. i shoot mine to fast.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:14 PM   #16
drive_sideways

Quote:
the biggest predator i have in my area is black bear. they dont worry me. sure they can toss a 6 foot log section around like a bulldozer can.

But i am more worried about people.

taurus 66, 357 mag. 6 inch barrel. after two cylinders youll be speed shooting it just fine. i shoot mine to fast.
Does yours hav the ported barrel?
Old July 5, 2014, 05:40 PM   #17
Super Sneaky Steve

If you're hunting you're already packing lots of stuff so you don't need to strap a big heavy handgun too.

I'd suggest an SP101 with a 3" barrel or a Model 60 with the same length barrel.

You can shoot snake shot for snakes, .38's to put down a wounded animal without splitting your eardrums or take out a black bear with a full powered magnum load.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:54 PM   #18
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
If you're hunting you're already packing lots of stuff so you don't need to strap a big heavy handgun too.

I'd suggest an SP101 with a 3" barrel or a Model 60 with the same length barrel.

You can shoot snake shot for snakes, .38's to put down a wounded animal without splitting your eardrums or take out a black bear with a full powered magnum load.
U know whats funny, i looked at those today, but the 4" barreled versions...
Old July 5, 2014, 06:40 PM   #19
redrick

It would depend how I wanted to carry it .

If I was going to use a chest rig , I would go longer barrel . Around your price range .44 mag. SS Blackhawk , 6" or 7 1/2 "

OWB carry 3" or 4" SP101 or GP100 .

Might even go with a Glock 10mm.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:06 PM   #20
Bezoar

got a decent holster and a real belt, dont realy notice it at all. i have un ported barrel.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:14 PM   #21
redrick

You notice when you sit down .
Old July 5, 2014, 07:17 PM   #22
Bezoar

well i noticed when i tried kneeling with it. since then the whole rig strangely rotates into a cross draw rig when i have to kneel or sit.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:33 PM   #23
drive_sideways

Quote:
got a decent holster and a real belt, dont realy notice it at all. i have un ported barrel.
Ok, thx for the info! Just wondering if the ported barrel makes much of a difference. Im sure it does, but i wonder how much it does...
Old July 5, 2014, 07:40 PM   #24
jmr40

I have 2 options. A 3" S&W 629 and a G-20 in 10mm. If protection is the primary concern the Glock gets used. It is 3/4 lb lighter and 1" shorter. Holds 16 rounds vs 6. While not quite as powerful, it does shoot 200 gr hardcast bullets @ 1300 fps. On paper the 44 looks a lot better with advertised performance of 240 gr bullets @ 1500 fps. But from an 8" barrel. From the 3" tube mine only gets 1150 fps, so it isn't a huge advantage over the 10mm.

If hunting in the primary concern I'd take a longer 4-6" barreled 41 or 44 magnum. From longer barrels they do start to have an advantage and will be more accurate for longer shots.

Since I really don't handgun hunt, the Glock gets used a lot more.

Quote:

From 3" barrels 357 mag won't even make 9mm speeds. That is an issue with all magnum revolver rounds. All published ballistics are from 7.5"-8" barrels. Shot from 3-4" or shorter barrels ( that most actually use) they don't even come close.

Old July 5, 2014, 08:30 PM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Hey everyone, im new to this forum (joined today) an my question was what would u recommend for black bear protection/backup hunting gun? I live in the northeast so i dont want anyone recommending the 500 or anything like that, its not necessary, i wont b facing any big brownies. Revolvers? Autos? Calibers? Brands? Prices? Nothing outrageously expensive either (under 600$ wud b nice). Thanks!
4" barrel .357 revolver be enough?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "