The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

C&R NFA transportation question...

I do not, as yet, own any NFA firearms.

If I am correct, anytime someone wants to travel interstate with their NFA firearm (excluding AOW), they must fill out a form 20 (5320.20).

My question is, does this still apply to C&R holders of NFA items bought under their C&R?

Maybe this is a question for the NFA group?

Last edited by Andy Griffith; June 3, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I deleted my original reply as it was incorrect. Here is what BATFE says [italics mine]:

Q. Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

A. Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]
Old June 3, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Andy Griffith

That's what I was searching for!

That, in and of itself is a huge advantage in having a C&R when dealing with NFA (C&R designated) firearms.

Thank you so, so very much!!!
Old June 5, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Note that when there is a transfer of an NFA firearm across state lines, the Form 4 states that the item can be taken/shipped to the buyer. If there are no state or local laws prohibiting it, the item can be taken to the buyer. If transporting it would involve crossing a state where the item would be illegal, it can be shipped via a common carrier or, if it is a long gun or not a gun (e.g., a suppressor or a parts kit), it can be mailed.

Jim