The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 11, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
SomeKid

.223 Wylde?

Hey folks, I was googling trying to find info on this chamber when I crossed this site. I have already learned from y'all that the Wylde is in between the Remington, and a 5.56, my question is thus, does this mean I can shoot 5.56, or is this basicly a super .223 Rem?

Thanks.

For anyone interested in what I am looking at buying, the Standard A-2, when it comes back in stock.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/Rock%20...s%20Rifles.htm
Old July 11, 2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Mute

It means that you can shoot 5.56 or .223 without problems.
Old July 11, 2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Zak Smith

All my 223/5.56 AR15's have Wylde chambers. They shoot surplus (XM193) and match loads just fine. No reliability problems.
Old July 11, 2005, 07:16 PM   #4
SomeKid

Excellent.

Thank you both very much. When I first saw that, I couldn't but scratch my head.

Edit: Since the gun only comes with 1 30 round mag, where would you guys recommend I buy a second? I have heard a lot of after market mags are garbage, so where have you guys gotten good quality? I am curious, because the ones they sell are 16 a piece, but look like good quality. Even though they are marked for LEOs.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm
Old July 12, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Mute

Here's a quick ARFCOM Magazine FAQ. The ar15.com website will also have some associate vendors who should have some good prices on quality magazines.
Old July 12, 2005, 12:26 PM   #6
ocabj

Wylde chambers have a longer throat to accomodate heavier bullets used in service rifle competitions.

As far as mags, try ammoman.com. Authentic USGI mags with teflon or powder coating. Brand new.
Old July 13, 2005, 12:27 AM   #7
SomeKid

Thanks again guys. It appears the Mags that Eagle Firearms has, fit the bill for being Tier one. Guess I will purchase one extra 30 rounder, to give me two. I think two 30 rounders is enough, what say y'all?

Also, those of you with stocks that can multi-position stocks (I forgot the proper term, telestock maybe?), I am curious, how strong are they? I have to admit, waiting for a Standard A-2 to arrive is driving me nuts, as I have been waiting for about 2 months now. I am seriously considering the CAR A2. Any advice is appreciated. It dies appear that the CAR can accept 5.56 and .223, like the Wylde, so I won't loose anything there. It is a bit more expensive, but in-stock right now as well.
Old July 13, 2005, 12:49 AM   #8
Zak Smith

The standard telestock is not as strong as a fixed stock. I recommend looking at the Magpul M93B stock which is arguably the best of the tele/adjustable stocks.
Old July 13, 2005, 05:24 AM   #9
SomeKid

Zak, thanks for the response. Sadly, a 210 dollar stock is a wee bit high for me. How much weaker are normal telestocks? I have no intention of using it for hard use, hopefully the worst it has to endure is a drop on a hard floor. Being as I cannot afford the Ferrari of stocks, would you say I would be better off waiting for a fixed stock?
Old July 13, 2005, 08:22 AM   #10
fanoblack

Let me put it this way, if it really that much weaker than an A2, why would the Military use it? I say use, abuse, replace it, repeat.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old July 13, 2005, 01:20 PM   #11
Mute

Any quality telestock should be fine. I like the ones from Rock River. My personal preference is for the ones made by Vltor. I think they strike a good blance between price and performance.
Old July 13, 2005, 09:01 PM   #12
SomeKid

Well alright. Y'all had some good points, I guess tomorrow I will toss in the order for a CAR A2. Will also get one extra mag, since they seem to have the good kind. Thank you all for your help.
Old July 13, 2005, 10:48 PM   #13
Zak Smith

It is possible to break some standard telestocks during the buttstroke to the dirt failure drill.
Old July 14, 2005, 01:29 AM   #14
SomeKid

Zak, I haven't heard of that drill before. Were you joking?

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Glocks. Once you get one, you want more. Maybe in a few years as money becomes more plentiful, and I am out of college, I can get the Standard...and a few dozen other pieces of eye candy.

Someone once joked to me guns were an expensive hobby, now I see what he meant.
Old July 14, 2005, 02:41 PM   #15
Zak Smith

No. Not kidding.

When a case is stuck in the chamber, you can grasp the charging handle with your right hand and slam the butt of the stock into the ground. This is often done at an angle "forward" (ie, gun at 45 degrees) and the bottom corner ("toe") of the stock takes the impact. Your right hand continues with its momentum when the rifle stops, and applies enough force to the charging handle to extract the case.

-z
Old July 14, 2005, 02:48 PM   #16
mudfoot

Just from a standpoint of using the stock as an attitude adjuster, I wouldn't want to do too much with those collapsible or skeleton type stocks. I guess I am just happy with my A2 style stock.

Also, SK, any magazine that is USGI will work great. There are cheap mags out there, but the majority of the middle-priced mags will handle the job.

j.
Old July 14, 2005, 09:26 PM   #17
SomeKid

Zak, maybe I am missing something, as I never had an AR jam on me (in the few times I have had the pleasure of using them).

I DO have an AK that jams a LOT. When it does, I simply rack the slide to empty out the jams. Would that work on an AR? I honestly couldn't say I would want to slam the butt of my rifle into the dirt, period. Haven't done it yet, and would prefer to avoid treating my tools like that.

mud, that was good. Though I totally agree, and for that reason (among a bunch of others) I am seriously leaning on the Standard, and have not yet done more than look at the CAR.

However, the CAR comes with chrome lining in the barrel, which I want for the obvious benefits. This always brings me back, and gets me thinking to just get the CAR, and since I treat rifles well, the stock won't be an issue.

It would be nice to have more money, then I wouldn't worry so much about breaking it by mistake, oh well, one day...

All things considered, I think I lean on the CAR. Anyone have a story about telestocks I should hear/consider?
Old July 14, 2005, 10:15 PM   #18
Zak Smith

I have very reliable firearms which I use in IPSC/USPSA & 3Gun competition, and train with for self-defense. If you shoot enough, malfunctions and jams will eventually happen with any firearm. It might be no fault of the gun itself- maybe a round was out of spec, maybe the magazine has gone south, whatever.

Quote:
When it does, I simply rack the slide to empty out the jams. Would that work on an AR?
I stipulated that such a clearance drill is done when a case is stuck in the chamber.

Quote:
I honestly couldn't say I would want to slam the butt of my rifle into the dirt, period. Haven't done it yet, and would prefer to avoid treating my tools like that.
You said it yourself-- they are tools. If you are plinking at the range, farting around clearing a stuck case is not a big deal. If you are in a match under time pressure, you want it fixed NOW. If you are training for self defense, you need to know how to and practice clearing all types of malfunctions, so if something unexpected happens with your weapon during an actual serious use, you know what to do.

Raming the stock into the ground while holding the charging handle is a widespread method to clear certain types of jams (stuck case), used by the military. Doing so can break weak stocks. That's all I mean to add to this thread.

-z
Old July 15, 2005, 12:06 AM   #19
fanoblack

Just to add to Zak's point I have done the same on a couple of bolt actions that had weak extractor springs. It works like a charm. Remember though that its not an extremely violent thing, your not driving the rifle into the ground like a post. You're just getting some momentum for the case, then the sudden stop of the rifle and hope physics is on your side.

fanoblack

Old July 15, 2005, 04:02 AM   #20
SomeKid

I will have to have someone show me. I have a friend who owns an AR, and a couple friends in the military. They will know. Zak has a very good point, if ever needed for self-defense, I need to know how to do this. While I like to take good care of my tools, (and that really is all a gun is), breaking the stock is far more preferable than having myself perforated with small holes from a BG.

That said, aside from possibly breaking it while doing that drill, does anyone know of any other issues with telestocks?

Y'all have been great. Sorry if I started sounding really stupid, but I am largely ignorant about AR-15s. As of now, after doing a bit more reading, and thinking, I may go with the CAR. If it breaks, I can replace it with a solid stock, with wouldn't be too bad. I have replaced stocks before (My AK had one of those thumbholes, :barf: ) so, while an annoyance, it isn't too bad. After all, I am going to put over $800 down just to get the rifle. And, as Zak reminded me, you never know when it may be the best investment of your life.
Old July 15, 2005, 05:41 AM   #21
SomeKid

Upon re-reading Zaks post about having the cartridge jammed in, and the process to remove it, it finally clicked. It is not when just the cartridge is stuck, it is when you cannot even get the slide to rack manually, correct? If so, then that is why it made no sense to me. I was thinking in terms of Failure to Eject, not jammed in where you could not simply slide a new one in. My bad.

It all came together when the picture of a guy standing with an AR-15, and the bottom of his stock had broken off (the toe). Then I remembered how it broke, why, and then the History Channel finally proved its use again. They showed military guys doing it in basic. Oh well, at least now I know what it is called, other than 'Frustrated banging of rifle in dirt' .
Old July 15, 2005, 08:29 AM   #22
fanoblack

Yay!

The only other complaint I have heard about the tele-stocks is that if you have a long enough beard, the joint between buffer tube and the stock part will grab some hairs. Which can look odd at the range when your AR becomes attached to you.

fanoblack

Old July 15, 2005, 08:34 AM   #23
SomeKid

Not only am I quite clean shaven, but I have yet to own an AR. But whichever one comes my way, I am attached to. Granted, it won't be quite as attached as my Glock. That beautiful piece of plastic and I are literally joined at the hip.
Old July 15, 2005, 11:48 AM   #24
Zak Smith

The main thing I don't like about standard telestocks is that they give a really poor cheek weld. For me they are decent for real close & fast shooting with the stock shortened up, but progressively worse as I extend the range out and get a more solid position. That's the main reason why I like the M93 stock, but I realize its cost is out of range for many. My other favorite stock is the A1-length Cavalry Arms C1 stock.
Old July 16, 2005, 01:26 AM   #25
SomeKid

Well everyone, thanks for all the help. My Wylde question has been answered superbly.

And of course, as threads go, this brings an off topic extra question.

Since the A-2 is out of stock, but the Standard A-4 is not, I am curious, what is so different about the A-2 vs A-4 upper, (aside from the A-4 being much more expensive) and why is there no A-3?

Last edited by SomeKid; July 16, 2005 at 12:01 PM.