The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2016, 09:07 AM   #1
rebs

MEC 650 shot shell loader ?

Im have an older MEC 650 from back in the mid 70's. Would the sizer ring be carbide or not and how can I tell by looking at it ?
Old October 25, 2016, 04:10 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

The sizer ring is steel. New sizer rings can be had from MEC.
Old October 28, 2016, 01:16 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Since this isn't a bullet casting topic, I'll move it to the handloading forum.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 28, 2016, 02:36 PM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
I have an older MEC 650 from back in the mid 70's
Congratulations! MEC shows a 650N still in production today. My father shot trap and he and I spent many pleasurable hours figuring out a 'good' 12 gauge load for trap shooting.

When I started loading for a .45 1911 pistol my father looked at how much powder I'd be using, laughed and said we probably spilled more figuring out how to use the 650 than I'd use in a year so I got my Red Dot and 700x for free. Well I did load a lot of shells for my Dad but like I said I didn't consider that 'work'.

Don't know if the sizer is carbide or not but the parts list can be found here:
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/p-...50n-parts.aspx
Old October 29, 2016, 08:42 AM   #5
rebs

Quote:
Since this isn't a bullet casting topic, I'll move it to the handloading forum.
I was under the impression that hand loading, reloading and bullet casting was all in one forum. How do I find the hand loading forum ?
Old October 29, 2016, 10:51 AM   #6
FITASC

The 650 does NOT resize. You would need to add a separate item for that. All other MECs either use a steel ring (like the Jr.) or a collett (like the Grabber and 9000)

Quote:
The MEC 650N does not resize except as a separate operation. This is the ideal press for the person who wishes to resize and inspect their shells as a separate operation. The MEC SuperSizer is recommended to fill your resizing needs. The MEC 650N has three crimping stations. The first station starts the crimp. The second closes the crimp. And the third station places the taper on the shell that is so important for proper feeding in a pump or automatic.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa