The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2014, 01:15 AM   #1
72-cj5

new to hand loading

Hi I am getting ready to load 45 acp and I only know what my grandpa told me and gave me I have 3 older book but can't seem to find the right info So im stuck at how much powder and how deep to seat the bullet im using bullseye pistol powder and lead castings that are 210 grains he told me to put 4.5 grains of powder and I measured his rounds and they are 1.24 inches does that sound right? Also im load in them for my 1911 and my kahr and my kahr wiuld like them to be seated at more like 1.19 or so is there a way to change the powder amount to fit that depth of seat thanks
Old May 23, 2014, 01:23 AM   #2
SpringOWeiler

Sierra lists that as a minimum load with a collective overall length of 1.155" My lyman cast bullet guide suggests a starting charge of 5.0gr and 1.185" I think they will be totally fine.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:05 PM   #3
mikld

Sounds like you need some basic reloading info. Get as newer manual (Lyman's 49th is a good start) and read the "how to" section. Then use the "data" section to find the type of powder, amount of powder, bullet weight, and finished dimensions for the round you're reloading...
Old May 23, 2014, 12:18 PM   #4
LivewireBlanco

That load sounds like a safe starting point but as you get deeper into reloading I would suggest buying a new reloading manual. The latest Lyman manual would be my recommendation. Have fun and be safe!
Old May 23, 2014, 12:19 PM   #5
LivewireBlanco

Wow mikld, looks like we were typing and thinking the same thing at the same time!
Old May 23, 2014, 03:40 PM   #6
g.willikers

Another consideration is how the rounds will feed in your particular guns.
The overall length might have to be adjusted to avoid problems in that area.
That's where the necessity for a chronograph becomes apparent.
Otherwise it's a lot of guess work, not always with acceptable results.
Old May 23, 2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Just to go with a high-level overview here: 4.5g of Bullseye under a 210g slug, seated at 1.19" sounds about right. You're definitely in the ballpark and no "bells n whistles" are going off, so to speak.

But before you start loading, I'd heed the advice of many who have already posted. Get new load manuals. Consult reputable on-line sources. Watch how-to videos, and read the same (Lyman). Gather knowledge. And if possible, have an experienced loader show you first-hand, as there is no substitute for "the real thing."

Welcome to the world of loading. It's very rewarding and satisfying - when properly approached.