The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2001, 12:30 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

Ok, so I finally went progressive with the Pro 2000. Great unit, but I am having one problem that seems to be more prevalent then with my RockChucker. I am getting primer pull back with the Pro 2000. I am using exculsively CCI primers, and generally RCBS & Lee dies (this does not occur with the Dillon Dies I have). Everything seems nice and tight, but I am still getting the occasional pullback. I cannot seem to relate it to a particular brand of brass, but FC and Winchester seem more common.

Any thoughts and suggestions? (I am currently just listening for the primer to fall, if not I use and old Lee hand deprimer tool to push it down before I index the station).
Old February 4, 2001, 12:36 PM   #2
Steve Smith

Is the deprimer spring loaded? If so, it should rise while the case is being sized, then snap down, knocking the primer away. If it's not a spring loaded deprimer, consider getting a Dillon sizing die.
Old February 4, 2001, 12:52 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

No the RCBS & Lee dies are not spring loaded. I am really trying to avoid the cost of buying 6 more carbide dillon dies. But this pullback is an aggrevating problem. I was hoping for a less expensive solution.
Old February 4, 2001, 03:48 PM   #4
Airborne

Peter,
I too load on a Pro-2000 using CCI primers and RCBS dies and have never had a problem with this. All I can think of is maybe there's something funky with the decapping pin in that particalar die your having trouble with. (If it's only one die that is).

I don't chamfer the primer pockets much on my brass either, maybe that's the difference? I don't always hear the spent primer fall, but never has a hanging primer stopped me from rotating the shell plate, or in the seating of a new primer. Try calling RCBS if nothing else makes sense.

Good luck,
SM
Old February 4, 2001, 04:37 PM   #5
SharpCdn

I use a Dillon 650, and I experience this problem when using CCI primers with federal brass (38 spcl). It would happen maybe every ten or twenty shells. I only use winchester primers now, and the problem has never arisen again.

I also found that CCI's didn't seat as smoothly either, it took more pressure to seat it.

This is just me experience.
Old February 4, 2001, 09:02 PM   #6
Kenneth L. Walters

In my experience this occurs when the depriming pin spears a spent primer. I'd recommend changing the decapping pin or taking a file and flattening it off.
Old February 5, 2001, 11:24 AM   #7
Peter M. Eick

I went and looked at my die de-capping pins and I think Mr. Walters is correct, they are all somewhat rounded or even slightly pointed and the stuck primers do look a bit "speared". I will file off the ends to make them more flat after I get a few spares today. I will let you know what I find out in a few days.

Thanks
Old February 5, 2001, 07:01 PM   #8
linngl

I had one do this on a Pro 2000. I had set the decapping pin to just barely protrude below the bottom of the case. I just screwed the decapping assembly until it just touches the bottom of the case and back up a 1/2 turn no more problem. This allows the pin to extend down into the drop tube. This was only with a straight wall case (.357 mag Starline) so expander ball is not a problem.
Old February 6, 2001, 03:55 PM   #9
Reg

After reading this thread, I'm surprised nobody has suggested this:
- is your decapping pin set low enough in the die?

On occasion, I have had a case with a non-centered flash hole that caused the decapping pin to be pushed up in the die a little. This started to cause primers that would 'hang' in the case and not get pushed all the way out.

Worth checking if you haven't already.
Old February 6, 2001, 10:01 PM   #10
Keith J

Its the anvil

The anvil has enough spring to tightly grip the decapping pin. Polishing it to have a spherical tip will solve this.

They are hard and the only way is with an abrasive stone. Fortunately it doesn't take much, just 5 minutes with it chucked in a drill.

Old February 7, 2001, 07:31 AM   #11
Peter M. Eick

The problem appears to be the priming punch. I inspected it under a good magnifying glass and it has some machining marks that seem to grab the primers. I bought a bunch of these in a lot years ago and have slowly used them up as I found unexpected berdan primed brass.

I picked up some new ones yesterday and they were nicely polished and clean. This solved the problem.

Thanks