The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 8, 2000, 06:08 PM   #1
vanfunk

Just a quick, naive question: can I install a Colt GC National Match bushing on my stock s80 enhanced Gov't Model without fitting/reaming? If not, what kind of I.D/O.D am I looking for in a bushing to get a tight fit? Thanks!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi
Old March 10, 2000, 10:28 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've only worked on Series 70s and older, but I don't know why you couldn't install an NM bushing.

"How tight is tight?" seems to be the question. I've seen some guys have the fit-up where you have to use a bushing wrench to disassemble/assemble the pistol. Others want it a wee bit looser.

My personal notion of a proper fit is to have it tighter than GI slop, but not so tight I can't field strip it with just my fingers. But I don't shoot bullseye targets in competition...

FWIW, Art
Old March 11, 2000, 04:20 PM   #3
Steve Clark Custom

Yes you can install the NM bushing, but would probably be useless, the id/od are very important,od too loose/good id erratic group size. Same with the op.I could go on all day, from shots stringing, to too tight an id causing the gun to jam or shearing your barrel lugs or breaking your link. If you take Richards advise on a bushing from Brownells read the instructions, and or have someone who knows 1911's check your work. You would be better off just having a PISTOLSMITH install one for you it verywell may save you a lot of trouble.SC