The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
mcwop

Lee Classic Hand Reloader Questions 45 Colt (LC)

Ok, first time reloading so of course nervous.

I have a few questions, mainly on powder load, or any other tips folks might have.

Here is what I have:
- Lee kit with .7 dipper that comes with kit
- 250gr .452 bullets oregon trail laser cast
- Alliant American Select Powder (based on included chart for 250gr bullet and .7 dipper)*
- spent Magtech and Federal brass
- Winchester primers large regular pistol

How accurate is the dipper when used properly? I have read up on proper use. Should I weigh? Or has Lee truly set up safe load parameters at the low end?

EDIT found this thread on the dippers: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178024

Last edited by mcwop; April 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old April 22, 2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Eagle0711

You can just use the correct dipper. Try to get the poeder level so that it's as consistant as possible. Double check the make of powder before loading. It's best to only have one container on the bench at a time.

As you can aford it add the scale.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
wncchester

"How accurate is the dipper when used properly? "

I'm not sure what you are thinking of as "accurate"; if you mean does it exactly meter the weight predicted, no, that rarely happens because power density varies by production lot so NO volumetric measure can be 'accurate.' But, Lee's charge info is sufficently safe that any potential differences makes no difference.

What most of us call 'accuracy' from any powder metering system is consistancy, meaning how much does it vary between charges. That accuracy is up to the user, be consistant in method and the dippers can be very good, get sloppy and there will be little accuracy but still safe. (User consistancy applies to convenional powder measures as well.)
Old April 22, 2011, 11:22 AM   #4
mcwop

Thnaks wncchester, I meant safe rather than accurate. As I get better at doing it, I will worry about accuracy more.

Ok, So I loaded 25 rounds, and it was pretty fun. The very first one I loaded, the bullet seated pretty deep, so I had to adjust the seater some. See the picture below, the one on the right was the first I did, and you can see bullet is in there pretty good. Not sure if that one should be used or not despite fitting into the measurement range, it will sit idle until I figure that out. The one on the left looks good. Finding the right amount of crimp took a bit of feeling things out.

Other thing I learned is you need a nice hard surface with this reloading tool - harder the better.

Not loading any more until I test at the range later today. I will report back.

Old April 22, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Idahoser

anybody using a progressive press is using volume, rather than weight, to measure powder. The scoops, being hand-operated, are easier to get 'consistent' than any powder measure. Get a technique you can repeat and that results in the same amount of 'packing' whether your bowl is full or near empty. This will involve going backwards through the powder rather than scooping forward, I guess.

You can have a real press that doesn't involve all that maddening racket if you get a Lee Hand Press. Uses real dies you can later use in a bench-mount press.

I have no problem with having and knowing how to use a Lee Loader but my goodness I hate using it.

The step where you knock the sized case out of the die and seat the primer all in one move? Don't do that. Seat the primer as a separate action after the case is already loose. You'll set off a lot fewer primers that way.
Old April 22, 2011, 12:20 PM   #6
mikld

Once you get the hang of using a dipper, the loads can be very repeatable. To be sure, a scale should be your next purchase (that is if you already have a reloading manual or three). As stated above, most Lee dippers will throw loads lighter than listed. When I use a Lee Loader, I have a 6"X6" timber 24" long that I sit on end and it comes to the perfect height to bang on when seated in a normal height chair. Lee loaders aren't my only reloading tools, I have 3 presses and mebbe a dozen sets of dies, but occationally I'll load up a few using a Lee Loader to remember when...
Old April 22, 2011, 05:11 PM   #7
mcwop

So I shot my first 24 rounds of hand-loaded 45 colt, and went well. Shot at 25 feet, and same accuracy as a box of factory Federal I had with me, and I did not blow myself up. American Select powder a tad smokier than Magtech or Federal.

Here's to cheaper cowboy ammo.
Old April 24, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8
mcwop

Latest update and full disclosure so that others may learn from my mistake.

Yesterday, I loaded 125 rounds over the day; not all in one sitting. Today at the range, I went through 98 shots, and no issues. Ammo shot very well.

On 99, faint little pop, and no recoil. So I stopped, let gun rest for a bit, then inspected it - pointed downrange at all times. The cylinder would not rotate, so I assumed the bullet was between the cylinder and throat preventing cylinder from rotating - squib fire.

Eventually, I used a dowel to push the bullet back (about .75 CM) to remove the cylinder safely.

The primer did go off, and seems pretty clear there was no powder charge in this one based on the bullet and brass I inspected. This was the second bullet I loaded yesterday based on tray position, and must have just seated the bullet a user error on forgetting powder charge.

So lessons learned:
1) Add a step to verify powder being added before seating the bullet!
2) Always be aware when shooting so that you may notice when the gun does not fire properly. - I was this time thankfully!
3) I may add an inspection step to give the bullet a shake to listen for powder - NOT SURE if this is advisable. Any other tips feedback here is appreciated.