The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2016, 06:27 PM   #1
rfalcon

Cleaning and finishing 1858

Don't know if anyone's interested, but I thought I post photos of the cleaning and refinishing process for my 1858. After disassembly, my only concern is some of the screw threads seem a bit worn. Don't know if I can replace them, or just add loctite as I reassemble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (140.0 KB, 73 views)
Old April 20, 2016, 06:32 PM   #2
rfalcon

Cleaned the finish from the cylinder, and did an initial polish of it and the trigger guard. The cylinder has a dark corrosion spot I'm not certain if I can media blast out. Maybe just have to do a black finish to hide it. Worked the sharp edges of the hammer marks from the cylinder a bit. Needs some more work, but slow and easy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (125.8 KB, 61 views)
Old April 21, 2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Keep the photos coming.

This is good stuff
Old April 21, 2016, 08:27 PM   #4
rfalcon

I'm still kind of messing, to figure out what I want to do. Cleaned, oiled and reassembled it, just to prove to myself I could. Made a template for new grips. Have some wood I'd like to use, but the stock (of wood) isn't wide enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (135.6 KB, 38 views)
Old April 21, 2016, 08:29 PM   #5
rfalcon

So I spent time reblueing the cylinder to see how it would take.

The rust spot is still visible but doesn't jump out at you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (102.1 KB, 44 views)
Old April 21, 2016, 08:32 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Yes, keep them coming. I like threads like this. You really should go touch her off a time or two. Then you will REALLY have the bug, trust me.
Old April 21, 2016, 08:50 PM   #7
rfalcon

I'll definitely shoot it when I'm - I promise. I have no 'gunsafe queens'.
Old April 21, 2016, 10:51 PM   #8
BlackPowderBen

The 1858 is a very reliable cap and ball revolver. You'll like that gun, like deerslayer said, you'll have the bug
Old April 23, 2016, 05:41 PM   #9
rfalcon

Well - grabbed a piece of 1/2 in thick oak baseboard from the scraps bin, fired up the bench sander, and started shaping a handgrip. Wasn't doing too bad until I accidental/y sanded off the small cutoff at the top of the backstrap. Oh well. Wondering how I can convince my wife I really need a benchtop jigsaw...
Old April 24, 2016, 12:35 AM   #10
rodwhaincamo

Go shoot it first.
Old April 24, 2016, 06:49 AM   #11
rfalcon

Probably should. Watched a few videos the loading process. Seems within my limited skill set lol. Do people still grease the end of the cylinder to prevent a chain fire after loading if they're using the wonderpads? I've seen it done both ways...
Old April 24, 2016, 07:09 AM   #12
BlackPowderBen

You can do either or none, there's a big controversy about chain fires
Old April 24, 2016, 07:11 AM   #13
rfalcon

On initial attempts, since I have no mentor on the scene (can probably find one at the sportsman association) I'd probably be more comfortable with the 'safe than sorry' motto.
Old April 24, 2016, 09:25 AM   #14
Hawg

You don't need lube over the ball with wads. Neither way is specifically to avoid chain fires but they do work for that if you have a chamber that's out of round or the balls are too hard etc. Some say that powder can get crushed between a ball and chamber and make a path for fire to get to the main charge and I believe that. Some say chains come from the nipple end but I don't believe that at all. I mostly use wads but if you decide to go with over ball lube something like Crisco will work but it gets really runny in summer heat. I use a beeswax/olive oil(or Crisco mix. You do not need to pack the end of the chambers full. All that's going to do is blow all over the gun and make a mess. Just a little around the edge of the ball is all you need. The lube is to keep fouling soft.
Old April 24, 2016, 09:44 AM   #15
44 Dave

As far as "the little ring of lead" that should be sheared off when seating the ball I have one gun that has a chamfer to the chambers and swedges the ball in tight. I think .454 balls are your best bet.
Old April 24, 2016, 11:23 AM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
I think .454 balls are your best bet.
Definitely use .454 balls.
Old April 24, 2016, 03:26 PM   #17
rfalcon

Thanks for the good advice. No substitute for experience...
Old April 24, 2016, 03:28 PM   #18
rfalcon

Powder and charge weight to go with those .454 ball? Please...

Biggest problem is going to be seeing that thin sight blade lol. May put a wad of chewing gum on top...
Old April 24, 2016, 06:22 PM   #19
Hawg

Powder would be 3F or equivalent altho 2F will work just fine. I use 30 grains but most will give you weak numbers like 18-22 for best accuracy. I don't punch paper and as long as I can hit Coke cans at 25 yards more often than not I'm happy. With the original height front sight it's going to hit high, very high unless you're shooting at 75 yards or so.
Old April 24, 2016, 06:53 PM   #20
BirchOrr

Powder by volume

1.) Start with 20 grains by volume and go up until you lose accuracy. You will find what the pistol likes.

2.) I agree with Hawg in that lube is not necessary if you use wads.

3.) I hate to say this because it will open a can of worms but, I don't think it's impossible for a chain fire to happen from the nipple end. In fact, I think it's much more probable to happen from a poorly fitting cap. (I could be out to lunch here but would rather err on the side of caution). Far too many guys use caps that don't fit properly, "pinch them" etc. and that being said, I've never had a chain fire. (Knock on wood).

4.) This is not necessary, but when I get a new pistol and before I even fire it, I replace the nipples with AMPCO/Treso nipples that use a #11 cap. This way, everything I own uses the same caps. They fit TIGHT on the nipple and I have no problems.

5.) This being said, 1.) I don't have to monkey around and remember what pistol uses what size cap. 2.) I LOVE shooting my BP firearms. When I do have the opportunity, I grab my stuff and go. Everything is the same.

6.) I am doing it properly to the best of my ability and knowledge including safety.

7.) I love this (sport?) and could care less what it costs me to have fun doing something I love doing.

This is the best advice I can muster. Everyone here is neither right or wrong but you will hear their opinion!

All the best to you gentleman,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old April 24, 2016, 07:30 PM   #21
rfalcon

Thanks for the advice.

Like I said, Hawg, I probably won't be able see the front sight anyway lol. I think most guns designed for battle, even modern ones, are sighted for longer distances. Just my thought - may not be acuurate.

I suspect the 1858 reprise weren't made with a standard cap size in mind. Or are they normally one or the other?
Old April 24, 2016, 08:11 PM   #22
Hawg

Remington #10 seem to be about the best fit for most. I prefer CCI as I get a lot of Remington's with missing compound. I do have a couple that take #11 tho.
Old April 24, 2016, 08:18 PM   #23
rfalcon

Guess I'll pick up some #10 and check if the fit. Pity the nipples aren't marked somehow - or can the be measured with a gauge?
Old April 24, 2016, 08:34 PM   #24
Tinbucket

Cleaaning and finishing 1858

I use .454 balls but I use even .457. Little more effort to shave excess lea but it gives a heavier loaded bullet and long bearing surface in the lands. I use two to three lubed wads. 30 grains of Triple Seven isn't too much in an 1858 army, if it is steel.
I've had chain fire from nipple end. Bad nipples not even or level.
Replaced with stainless. There ar some super hard super durable nipples listed, on the Internet but haven't ordered them to try.
Old April 24, 2016, 11:04 PM   #25
44 Dave

CCI caps will not "stretch" as easily as Remington, if you use a push stick of some type 10s will fit quite a few. Having said that I remember that Euro Arms have short cones. I had one with worn nipples that I would file just a bit off each cap to use Rem.#10s before I put new nipples on it.