The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2015, 04:08 PM   #26
TailGator

If you are interested in the Lee Classic Turret, have a look at Kempfgunshop.com. They put together their own kit with the LCT press, primer arm, disk-type powder dispenser (with an optional upgrade to the Pro series affordable and recommended), and your choice of die sets. They throw in some ammo boxes and leave out the Lee scale, which doesn't seem to have a big fan club. Add a scale of your choice, a mounting site, and components, and you are up and running. I went that way a bit over a year ago, after doing a lot of reading and comparing, and I have been completely satisfied. I took my time and did the mounting and setup over a couple of evenings after supper and was making satisfactory pistol ammo at the end of the second evening. I felt like it was a good value.
Old October 29, 2015, 04:48 PM   #27
condor bravo

Since you will be doing some loading for rifle calibers, it is important to choose a press that is solidly constructed. Although I don't have one, those recommending the RCBS Rock Chucker seem to be making a good suggestion. I'm using the very heavy and massive Herter's model 3 press from days of yore but unfortunately presses like that are hardly to be found anymore unless at a gun show or maybe via the net. My Remington Ultra Mag calibers require that type of a heavy duty press and I would never try them on most progressives. But the bottom line is, get a press that is solid for the rifle loading. Any press should easily handle handgun calibers.

Tags
300 win mag , 500 s&w , loading different shells , rcbs , single stage