The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 25, 2000, 01:31 PM   #1
AEM

I have always wanted to learn more about this incident, which I feel is just as dramatic and historically significant as the shootout at the OK Corral. I have read just about everything thing I can find on it, including the materials available on the FBI homepage and Dr. French Anderson's forensic analysis.

I have always wanted to see the video reenactment produced by the FBI entitled "Firefight." I understand it is widely distributed to law enforcement for training.
I made a request for a copy under the Freedom of Information Act, but I am pessimistic about my chances of getting one in this lifetime. If it was published by the fed. gov't, it isn't supposed to be copyrighted, so reproduction shouldn't be a problem.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old September 25, 2000, 01:43 PM   #2
Eric Blair

Here is a link to Dean Speir's report.
http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/11april86.html

Find out the who/what/etc.

Pretty scary reading. (Not just the bad guys, but the good guys also...)

Eric
Old September 25, 2000, 04:13 PM   #3
SMHeaton

I might be wrong here, but the only video entitled "Firefight" about the Miami, Florida FBI shootout I have ever heard of is the episode of the "FBI Files" produced for The Learning Channel. It is a good video, complete with a reenactment and interviews along the way with some of the Special Agents that participated in the gunfight.

You should be able to by this video by hunting around www.tlc.discovery.com.

I just checked this link:
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/tvschedu...isode=21141026

which says that "Firefight" will be aired two times on The Learning Channel on October 24, and once again on October 29.

Another fact-based account of this gunfight can be seen in "In the Line of Duty: The FBI Murders" starring Michael Gross (of "Family Ties" fame) as one of the scumbags (I can't remember if it was Matix or Platt.). That might be available for rent at your local video store (At least it is in mine...).

[This message has been edited by SMHeaton (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old September 25, 2000, 04:17 PM   #4
AEM

Thanks for the replys.

I have seen both the Discovery Channel program and the "Line of Duty" movie. Both are interesting. But the FBI videoed a re-enactment which they share with law enforcement agencies.
Old September 25, 2000, 04:22 PM   #5
SMHeaton

Hmmm... Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I too am really interested in that particular gun fight. If you manage to find what you're looking for, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd let me know...

Good luck in your search...
Old September 25, 2000, 08:42 PM   #6
Robert Foote

I have seen the FBI video; also saw a presentation by the lead investigator of Miami-Dade of the incident. The 'FBI Murders' video is actually very well done. They don't get into the tiny details, but it hardly matters. That's because the whole thing was a cluster from the get-go. The Bureau agents were complacent and sloppy, and ran into two BGs with no thought of surrendering that day. Even at that only one BG was very active. A very sad story, and one that woke up quite a few people in training circles. FWIW.

------------------
Old September 25, 2000, 09:18 PM   #7
Shawn Dodson

Contact your local FBI field office to inquire about obtaining a copy. Look in the phone book under U.S. Government.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Old September 10, 2012, 08:00 PM   #8
ericmt

I know this is a really old thread, but I found it while Googling for the video "Firefight", an FBI training video regarding the Miami Shootout. It's quite relevant. I found it on YouTube. Here's the links (it's in two parts):

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSCE88UhyA

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUDn...feature=relmfu

“Never bring a knuck buck to a gunfight.” d0nturner, ohioccwforums.org
Old September 10, 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

The original thread is 12 years old. Feel free to open a new one on the matter, but this one's groaning and looking to eat brains.
Closed Thread