The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2000, 04:06 PM   #1
Hueco

I used a Federal case, a Winchester Large Mag primer, and 35.0 grains of 2400 pushing a Hornady 300 grain HP. There were no signs of high pressure, no detonation, and very low recoil. I made certain to tip the muzzle up each time before shooting in order to collect what little powder there was at the head of the cartridge. I shot standing, and these were by far the most accurate I have ever shot. I focused on fast shots with one fouler followed by two. The two were always side by side (literally, they were not quite touching, but there was zero room between) at 25 yds. I can only see myself getting much better with this rifle/load combination.

I also shot the cartridge I had loaded with the Barnes X. All the components were the same as above except for the bullet. I was a bit worried that the hard copper could cause problems, but it didn't. I had only the one to shoot, but when I did, I was very impressed. Low recoil and a high BC helped a lot. I brought the rifle up fast, pointed, and shot within 2 or 3 seconds. The target was at 25 yards, and the bullet hit centre left-to-right and about a 1/2" high. Again, no signs of OP.

I plan to load a great deal many more of both these loads.

Hueco
Old June 12, 2000, 09:34 AM   #2
CapeFear

Welcome to the world of reduced loads and beware of the addiction! I started shooting reduced loads in my backyard to practice for deer season and it has become a hobby unto itself. First I wanted to develop the most accurate load. Then I wanted to develop the quietest possible load. Next I decided that I didn't need to hunt small game with a 22 rifle when I owned a perfectly good 30-06! Now I can't remember the last time I reloaded full power loads! I still shoot the real rounds occasionally to practice long range shooting but could have never shot as much without the reduced stuff. Thanks to Paul B. who shared some loads with me a year or so ago.
Old June 12, 2000, 03:27 PM   #3
Paul B.

Cape Fear. You got that right. Hell! I've been addicted to reloading for 45 years now, and I don't want to be cured, either. No rehab for me.
Glad I was able to help.
Paul B.