The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2015, 06:33 PM   #1
tangolima

TT33 bore diameter

Got a radom tokarev and started hand loading for it. I wouldn't say the results have been successful. It doesn't group, and it leaded when I tried cast bullets. The bore size turned out to be 0.312" when I slugged it last night. Not wander it didn't shoot. I always thought it was smaller than 0.309" and have been using 0.310" cast bullets.

Is the bore a bit over sized? Over sized or not, I will have to deal with that. I am going to try 32-20 or 30 h&r bullets, sized to 0.313". Hope it will do the trick.

-TL
Old November 8, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Gunplummer

I don't know about the bore, but the average bullet diameter when I did a check years ago was .310. I used to run 7.63 Mauser ammo through it too, but it was usually underpowered to work the slide all the way back. Check and see if the barrel is square at the muzzle. Pistols are not as forgiving as rifles with that. I had picked mine up years ago at a pawnshop before the ammo was coming into this country. It was quite accurate with surplus ammo. Years ago they were just like the soviet rifles, all over the place and cheap, because there was no ammo for them. I do remember those guns like very hot ammo.
Old November 8, 2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Clark

Some books say .307"
Some surplus measures .307"

The Chinese are not too careful about groove diameter.

I have a number of Polish Tokarevs, but cannot remember shooting them.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 9, 2015, 12:21 PM   #4
tangolima

I meant to say groove diameter, instead of bore diameter. My TT was made by Radom Poland. Thought it was better than Romanian, but a bit disappointed because of this. I planned to used the same round for my 30 Mauser. The pistol cycles fine, just didn't group and started to lead.

-TL
Old November 9, 2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Clark

My 30 Mauser bore may have once been a sewer pipe, but that metal is gone.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?