The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2014, 06:11 PM   #1
saands

New way to secure your AR on a wall ...

Hi,

I was tasked with finding a solid, low-profile, good looking and fast access mount for one of my sisters that wanted to mount a carbine in her master bedroom closet. I told her that I didn't know of the item, but that I was sure I could find one for her. Well ... after looking high and low, I came up empty handed. The engineer in me got the better of me and pretty soon I was reviewing concepts for just that product. Next thing I know I've got a prototype and just today, I launched a commercial website: www.mag-fast.com where I have my first two products for the AR-15 (a wall mount version, and a mobile version that can mount to just about anything) available for immediate delivery!

To use it, you put the AR-15 onto the "magazine" of the MAG-FAST ... the lock then secures the upper by expanding into the bolt carrier group channel. So even if you take the pins out, the AR stays together. It holds very solidly, but allows the user to get the AR off the mount and ready to fire insanely quickly. I will be making some videos, but I wanted to at least show some pictures to you folks.

You can read more about it and see better pictures of it on the website ...

Thanks!
Saands

The wall mount version:

The MAG-FAST Mobile:

www.mag-fast.com
Old August 12, 2014, 01:54 AM   #2
bamaranger

clever

Slick.

Suggest you consider an elec model with a manual override for LE. Also consider a possible arrangement that orients the rifle 90 degrees to the wall, ie, sights outbound, mag well rearward. Racked rifles would take up less space.

LE may dislike storing the rifle w/o a mag in place during patrol, but this could appeal to admin storage.

AR mounting in vehicles is a headache due to hand guard and accessory variances.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:09 AM   #3
Brotherbadger

I like it! I'd like to see the videos to see how quickly it comes off.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 13, 2014, 07:30 AM   #4
saands

Quote:
Slick.

Suggest you consider an elec model with a manual override for LE. Also consider a possible arrangement that orients the rifle 90 degrees to the wall, ie, sights outbound, mag well rearward. Racked rifles would take up less space.

LE may dislike storing the rifle w/o a mag in place during patrol, but this could appeal to admin storage.

AR mounting in vehicles is a headache due to hand guard and accessory variances.
If you aren’t in law enforcement, you have insanely good insights with respect to their needs and wants … I should have talked to you a few months ago

I talked to several LE agencies at the Raleigh Gun Show a couple of weekends ago and one of their first comments was “Officers want the mag in the rifle when they are on patrol.” But as they were standing in front of my table at the gun show I kept mounting, dismounting and loading the demo AR that I had there. After about the third time, one of the deputies standing there said something like: “Hold on a minute … that’s a stupid requirement, this system gets a usable rifle in your hand faster than the ones we currently use that keep the rifle loaded.”

The other question I got from those guys was: “can it be actuated electrically with a key override?” … gotta love the consistency in the messages I’m getting.

And for your hat trick, the appeal for administrative storage (detectives keeping their ARs behind their desks) was a clear signal. I need to look at the stud spacing in commercial construction, but my recollection is that it is still 16” centers, just with metal studs instead of wood. I need to verify that.
When I designed this one, I didn’t think that LE would be a market at all, so I focused on keeping the rifle’s profile as low as possible for use in a closet … but after I look at the electrical interface, I will consider a “high density” version. One question for you: If I made a rack for, say, 6 AR’s, I'm thinking that they should all release with one flick of the key. Does that sound right to you?

Thanks for the feedback!!

saands

www.mag-fast.com
Old August 13, 2014, 07:32 AM   #5
saands

Quote:
I like it! I'd like to see the videos to see how quickly it comes off.
Videos … lots of videos … showing how it works, how fast it brings the AR into action, how it gets installed on walls, and how it gets installed in a trunk are becoming my number one priority. I didn't realize just how important video has become in today's marketplace, but I’m learning that REALLY fast. Second only to the comments like “THAT is REALLY cool” … I’m hearing “Do you have any videos of that?” I’m a little behind the curve on the videos, but I’ll be catching up shortly!

Thanks!

Saands

www.mag-fast.com
Old August 13, 2014, 08:16 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

Better get to a patent and copyright attorney pretty soon.

You're going to make some money with this. Lots of it. Good for you.
Old August 13, 2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Skadoosh

concur. Do it today if its not already too late.
Old August 15, 2014, 12:40 AM   #8
nemesiss45

looks pretty interesting. do you ship with tamper proof screws? either way, it will keep your gun in a non-firing condition, which is nice, but with unprotected mounting holes, a burglar could unscrew it and worry about getting the gun off it later.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Grizz12

Quote:
looks pretty interesting. do you ship with tamper proof screws? either way, it will keep your gun in a non-firing condition, which is nice, but with unprotected mounting holes, a burglar could unscrew it and worry about getting the gun off it later.
I was thinking a burglar could just grab the barrel and give a good pull or twist to yank everything off the wall.

That being said, I think its designed to prevent kids from gaining access while allowing "easy" access to adults
Old August 15, 2014, 10:28 AM   #10
kilimanjaro

Unless any screws are over 3" long, they can be pulled out by force. It's not anti=theft, it's anti=tamper and anti-unauthorized use for rifles kept 'in the rack'.
Old August 15, 2014, 06:08 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
concur. Do it today if its not already too late.
Hopefully he patented it BEFORE he went public. US patents can be applied for up to one year after public exposure but many foreign patents must be applied for before (or on the day of) public release.