The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 28, 2012, 09:54 AM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

a 4" 500 is on my to buy list yet...

I got the chance to shoot one, ( a 4" ) at the Shooters Roundup at Ahlmans this fall... about what I expected... funny, on their limited range, I had a couple targets that fell down from one shot... too much concussion in the confined space... I guess I'm used to that type of concussion, as I have 14" ported 45-70 barrel for my Contender, & a 50 A.E. ported Automag 5, & a Dan Wesson 357 Super Magnum

I don't like the longer barrel guns( anything longer than 6" )... I understand, higher velocity, longer sight radius, but I'm a dummy, who can't seem to keep his support hand back of the barrel / cylinder gap on muzzle heavy guns, this can be quite dangerous on higher pressure cartridge guns... my 30 carbine blackhawk has burned me multiple times... I don't relish having my fingers look like the early hot dog videos that were out when the X frame 1st came out... not afraid of them... just got to respect that barrel cylinder flash from the big guys
Old December 28, 2012, 05:24 PM   #27
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
I remember when the big .500 was about to be released I watched a show on the outdoor channel of a couple guys hog hunting with it, I wouldn't of aired the film it was so ridiculous, they shot 3 or 4 big hogs with the .500 and had to shoot them several times except for one I remember (shot placement unknown but couldn't of been good?), I remember thinking holy cow what a joke! I have 100 percent faith and cofidence I could have smoked any of them hogs with one shot from a .22 magnum! I help a guy out butchering from time to time, he's a meat cutter and gets me to do the slaughtering, all I use is a .22 magnum. Moral of the story is it definately was a horrible debut for the big .500 IMO, very short of impressive! Didn't stop me from owning 2 of them
I do not care what caliber you are shooting shot placement is still very important. I have seen some guys that think a larger caliber means they can be a little more inaccurate which is very far from the truth.

Shoot what you can handle -- accurately.
Old December 28, 2012, 05:30 PM   #28
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
This is something we do on private property.
I respectfully disagree. People are going to complain no matter what you do. It’s a range, open to the public.
Ozzie though I get what you are saying and agree, but what we were talking about was two fisting the 460 and 500 shooting both at the same time.

This is not something I would do at a public range.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:36 PM   #29
Ozzieman

460 and 500 shooting both at the same time
Sorry missed that.
+1 This is not something I would ever do.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:50 PM   #30
Mr.RevolverGuy

Hehehehheehe again

Safety is paramount on public or private ranges.

Shooting at your comfort level is important as well and if you are not comfortable you should say so and probably should not do it. It burns me up when I see these people on youtube handing inexperienced shooters or first time women shooters these big caliber and think it is funny.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:11 PM   #31
solocam72

Exactly Mr.revolverguy! Shot placement is 100 percent key! Like I said I slaughter from time to time and all I have ever used is a .22 magnum, when you see a 1500 pound beef fold up like a lawn chair from a little 40 grain .22 cal bullet its a tad bit on the impressive side to say the least! The big .500 S&W is a VERY potent round!! the hog hunt I seen on the outdoor channel using the .500 was obviously poor shot placement as that round would have smashed a hog if hit properly! I hit a steel gong type target with my .500 revolver and it litterally swung the big heavy plate up and so far it unhooked the chains and the whole thing fell to the ground! We were hitting the same target with a .357 and .44 magnum and they would slightly swing the heavy plate but the big .500 actually lifted and unhooked it!