The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 20, 2014, 11:05 AM   #1
skizzums

dog shoots man

I admit to not having the facts of this incident. Man is trying to help someone on side of road,going for something in the fron seat, he orders his dog to the back seat, where it steps on a rifle and it discharges a bullet into the man's arm.

There are many reason not to keep a chambered rifle in your car, although dogs not being on the top of my list. First reason would be someone breaking into your car and having a chamber rifle with the safety off. Second would be a car accident, having enough inertia to have a floating firing pin hit the bullet with, way more than enough, force to ingnite a primer. I don't wanna get t boned and shoot the other driver at the same time. Third, objects in the car could be rolling around back seat possibly hitting trigger.

So what else is there. I know I double check my chambers before putting in the trunk. Does anyone here have a scenario where you need a cocked and locked rifle in the car? Am I missing something?
Old December 20, 2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Model12Win

Wow. That's a first.

I agree that having a loaded chambered rifle is not the best idea. I'm not much of a fan o keeping any gun stored in a car for any period of time, but then again I live in a moderate crime urban area. I can imagine it would be no problem in many rural settings.

Just don't keep one in the pipe, safety off, with your dog jumping around on the gun!
Old December 20, 2014, 01:26 PM   #3
peggysue

LOL..hope my girls won't shoot me...LOL
Old December 20, 2014, 01:45 PM   #4
skizzums

http://time.com/3640416/dog-accident...an-in-wyoming/

just seems like a totally irresponsible thing to do period, dog or not. I can't think of any useful reason to keep one in the pipe in the backseat/trunk of a truck/car whatever. but people make mistakes, and maybe the loaded rifle was just that. I have done dumber things....maybe
Old December 20, 2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Bella

It is illegal to carry any loaded long gun in a vehicle here.
Old December 20, 2014, 05:00 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Same in most states, illegal enough to get your gun confiscated, maybe the car, too, and a mandatory court appearance for a serious misdemeanor or felony.
Old December 20, 2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Model12Win

The article says the dog shot the man accidentally... did they ask the dog about it?
Old December 20, 2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

1. This has happened before.

2. It is legal in some states.
Old December 20, 2014, 06:30 PM   #9
robhof

robhof

There's a youtube video of a pig farmer with a rifle, herding piglets away from the mother and puts down the rifle to start removing the piglets, mother rushes the gun and starts attacking it til it goes off. There are at least 3 verified incidents of hunters dropping rifles from their tree stand and being shot by their own rifle. one while was in Louisiana in the 80's. Hunter was found in stand 2 days after he left for a day of hunting, headlines in local paper at the time!
Old December 20, 2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, dogs shoot people every 2 or 3 years...if you follow hunting incident reports. It is always the hunter's fault.

Yeah, people should not carry around loaded guns. Who would ever do such a thing?
Old December 20, 2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Colt46

Any time a toddler or animal pulls the trigger I'm suspicious

Not impossible, but in both cases, it seems like an irresponsible gun owner has an excuse to get him/her off the hook.
Old December 21, 2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Buzzcook

Makes you wonder about the "man's best friend" title.

Many many years ago a cousin was shot when her dog jumped on the bed and set off the gun that was kept under a pillow. Luckily it was not a serious injury.
Old December 21, 2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Claude Clay

whether or not illegal...

it is not at all right to leave a firearm with a round-chambered that is not in a position ( ~a safe only you can open would be one place) where it is anything but impossible to be affected by activity near or upon it.

besides, think of the poor dog's hearing
or try getting back to sleep what with your ears ringing

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old December 21, 2014, 06:17 PM   #14
filthy phil

Years ago a dog in the back of a pickup set off a shotgun. The shot went thru the tailgate and killed his master
Old December 21, 2014, 09:14 PM   #15
walks with gun

Fun fact, 9 out of 10 people are idiots. Rifle doesn't need to be fully loaded unless it's in your hands or some ones trying to kill you ( besides your dog ).
Old December 21, 2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Other examples...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/dog-shoots-man/
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=18299091
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...03/08/2007414/
http://www.startribune.com/local/224967072.html
Old December 22, 2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Erno86

Some hunters do road hunt for deer {illegally or legally} in a car or truck. I think it's legal {though I'm not quite sure} to road hunt for deer --- while in back of a pick-up truck --- in certain states on private roads down south; but I've only heard stories about the tactic from a friend that used to live down in North Carolina.

--- George Orwell
Old December 22, 2014, 10:43 PM   #18
walks with gun

Unless you are very elderly or greatly crippled, I don't consider driving around hunting, just slobs shooting at stuff.
Old December 23, 2014, 07:43 AM   #19
stephen426

I guess the dog resented being sent to the back seat!
Old December 23, 2014, 10:45 AM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Unless you are very elderly or greatly crippled, I don't consider driving around hunting, just slobs shooting at stuff.
You probably haven't spent any time doing hog and predator control on very large properties or multiple properties where vehicles replace feet for stalking over large portions of the terrain. For us, it is usually drive and spot, then stalk the last one or two hundred yards on foot. Sometimes, it is drive, spot, get out and shoot.
Old December 23, 2014, 12:45 PM   #21
Erno86

Our gun range had a recent raffle {no I didn't win,} and one of the prizes was a helicopter hog hunt in Texas --- in which I don't consider shooting wild hogs out of a flying helicopter as unethical or unsportsmanlike.

--- George Orwell
Old December 23, 2014, 02:20 PM   #22
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many years ago I knew a man who had lost both his hands. He had paused to catch his breath while hunting and rested his hands on the muzzles of his double gun. His dog was jumping around and the dog's front paws came down on the triggers of the gun.

The dog "did it", but the hunter was doing something that was very dangerous, though quite common at the time. I hope folks know better today.

Jim
Old December 23, 2014, 09:02 PM   #23
Greybeard

Many long guns have crossbolt safety on the trigger guard. Prime examples are Ruger 10/22s and Remington 870s. Even with the "safety on", all it takes is a dog's paw to step on that button then go inside trigger guard.
Old February 18, 2015, 03:01 PM   #24
turkeestalker

Quote:
Fun fact, 9 out of 10 people are idiots.
Thanks for the smile walks with gun... funny though when you think about it... most of us feel exactly that way but I'm not sure how we all fall in that 10% of non idiots! I think a few times I've hopped off and then back on the wagon again myself!
Old February 18, 2015, 03:19 PM   #25
Snyper

Quote:
I think it's legal {though I'm not quite sure} to road hunt for deer --- while in back of a pick-up truck --- in certain states on private roads down south; but I've only heard stories about the tactic from a friend that used to live down in North Carolina.
Some counties do allow hunting from the right of way, but it's still illegal to hunt from the "passenger area" of any vehicle