The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
fire4606

Glock 34 poor accuracy

Well I just got back from the range with my new Glock 34, gen 3.. and it was rather disappointing. Very poor accuracy.

Wondering if there is an issue with it or if I'm just going to need to get used to something though i have no clue what..

I've owned glocks since they came out and always shoot them well.

Today at 10 yards a fist sized group, and hitting a little bit hi. At 15 yards the group opened up to about 12 inches..???

Shot my G26 and M&P 9 at the same range both held a fist sized, 2-3" group.

At 40 yards at a 4"x5" target 5 shots one hit, shot at the same target with the G26 and made 3 hits out of five..

I'll post some pics after i'm done cleaning.

G34 is stock with trijicons on it. Otherwise all stock has about 200 rounds through it..
Old April 22, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
jhenry

Try shooting it off of a good bench first. That will tell if it is the gun or you. I will assume you were shooting off hand. Opening from 2 to 3 inches to 12 inches in a distance of 15 feet (the difference between 10 and 15 yards) just isn't going to happen mechanically. Probably shooter error, which can be minimized by bench testing. Good luck.
Old April 22, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 34 poor accuracy

Jeez. Don't know what to tell you there. My G34 was my most accurate Glock.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; April 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: wrong grammar via; iPhone
Old April 22, 2013, 06:45 PM   #4
fire4606

Yes off hand..

Constantine...

That's what i assumed mine would be too. .

I kind of ruled out shooter error due to the fact that i picked up the other glock and it shot just fine even more accurate at the same ranges..

I suppose i shouldn't make that assumption, maybe i'm just needing to get used to it..
Old April 23, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Ruger45LC

Normally I would say it's you or the ammo, but I got a G19 one time that didn't group worth a darn, and I can shoot nice tight groups the the rest of my Glocks. Hope you get it resolved.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
fire4606

Constantine,

You shooting 115 gr bullets in yours?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah.. 115gr mainly. Federal from Wal-Mart. WWB also..It never malfunctioned and was boring reliable and accurate. I sold it for a SIG P220 and regret it. As much as I love the SIG P220, I could have at least put it on layaway or something. Didn't have to sell my 34 :[ oh well...live and learn. -_-
Old April 23, 2013, 08:58 PM   #8
jhenry

The only way to rue out shooter error for a particular firearm is to shoot THAT firearm off the bench and off hand, not some other firearm off hand. The group simply isn't going to open to that degree in that short of a distance due to some mechanical issue.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

The only thing that comes to mind for me is the balance change for the user due to the longer, more forward barrel.

Weight differences are minimal compared to the average full size Glock.

Keep in mind the 1911 has more weight on the bottom end and the balance of the Glock is different because of the lighter bottom end.

With less weight on the bottom end, the balance of the weight extended
forward on the g34 Glock, the weight is shifted more forward and the shooter must compensate.

Do you move the brace hand (non trigger hand) into a position to place your thumb on the side of the frame?(left thumb, left hand , right handed shooting)

If not, try it. Doing so will stabilized they sway effect of the heavier end weight.