The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 14, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Akseminole

Muzzle loader Suppressor question

If an Air rifle can legally be sold with an integral sound suppressor with no restrictions, what are the rules for a sound suppressor for a black powder muzzle loader?
Old December 14, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Ricklin

??

Now theres one hell of a good question. Hmmm.............
Old December 14, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I wonder how long it would take for the crud from black or substitute black powder to really do a job on a suppressor? One shot or two?

Jim
Old December 14, 2008, 11:21 PM   #4
wpcexpert

Might work better on a smokeless muzzle loader. Heck of a big bang and bullet to suppress
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 14, 2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Crosshair

Quote:
I wonder how long it would take for the crud from black or substitute black powder to really do a job on a suppressor? One shot or two?
It would obviously have to be a take apart design. If you have the bore diameter on the larger side, you would probably be able to go several shots. Something like the Savage muzzle loader would be best.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:06 AM   #6
Akseminole

Ok, that was all very informative. But the original question never got answered.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:05 PM   #7
rabidgoldfish

IIRC Muzzleloaders aren't "guns" so there would be no problem as long as it could never be attached to a firearm. I'd write a letter to the ATF and get an opinion before I trusted an internet stranger though.
Old January 27, 2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Ricklin

Not in Oregon

Well I checked. Here in Oregon a blackpowder weapon is defined in the statutes as a firearm. According to the law the way I read it if you are a convicted felon no muzzleloaders.

Not an attorney, I did stay at one of those motels last night tho!
Old January 30, 2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Singlesix1954

Leagaly speeking I'd say no

I don't think that you would be inside the law with this. I do think that If you build one properly it will work. It is easy to get good acuracy from large cal. muzzleloaders. The momentum of heavy bullits means heavy knockdown at subconic speeds. There is no action noise to worry about and report should be easy to contain. So if you want to shoot a deer and not spook the others for your buddys try it . I think you need to buy the $200 stamp just like the rest of us suppressor owners.
Old January 30, 2009, 08:53 PM   #10
p99guy

On the subject of wadding..cloth would be out. For the same reason you dont use cleaning patches through a suppressor.
plastic sabots would be out as well...when those little "fingers" open up
they too will be caught in the suppressor. So would ticking, cardboard, or any thing that separates from the bullet

there are good reasons nobody sells a muzzle loader suppressor(do you really think nobody has tried it in all these years?) Law aside- its simply not workable. Some folks are never happy till they launch a endcap and stack of baffles downrange. But its a learn'in experiance (be sure and film it/send to Johnny Knoxville for the next jackass movie) So we could claim we knew before you got famous. (rock on)
Old January 30, 2009, 09:54 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think the ATF wouldn't be happy at all even if it was on a smokepole.
Old January 30, 2009, 11:36 PM   #12
Don H

The BATF is of the opinion that suppressors on paintball guns and airguns are NFA weapons. I can't see how they'd think muzzleloaders were any different.
Quote:
Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms? [Back]

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m30
Old February 16, 2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Akseminole

Still confused, but much more informed.

Ok, thank you. The second round of answers were generally more informative to the question that I had originally posed.
As to p99guy, I wasn't implying that nobody had ever tried, I was just wondering about legality.
I saw this Gamo air rifle with "integrated noise dampener" which they claim reduces sound up to 52%, and that is what I based my question off of. As near as I can tell, there is no requirement to pay the $200 tax stamp for this air rifle. I don't know if atfe just don't know, or if this somehow is passed through a loophole not mentioned in the previous post about paintball marker And air rifle suppressors being NFA devices. Perhaps it is somehow not considered a "silencer" because you can't take it off??

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zo...?model_id=1275
Old February 16, 2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Akseminole

Although..

I probably might as well pick up one of these before they get banned... lol