The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

love them both... but IMO, neither are king anymore...
Old February 11, 2013, 04:02 PM   #27
rclark

The .45 Colt does make a slightly bigger hole. The .44 (.429 actually) Mag will never overcome that. I know which I prefer for mild to wild... I know which Ross Seyfried prefers, and a few others .... In this day and age?It really is a personal choice between the two. Wouldn't feel outgunned with either caliber here is North America.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:25 PM   #28
GeauxTide

Brian Pearce did an excellent piece on the 45LC in a 5.5" Ruger Bisley, stopping at 32,000psi. He was pushing 285 SWC over 1300fps. Having that exact revolver, that load would be more than my current recoil tolerance. I really like a 255-275 at 1100-1200. If I need more power, the SBH gets the nod. Amazing what 3-5 ounces of weight and that wonderful square trigger guard will allow.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:47 PM   #29
shootniron

One more lash to the dead horse...44mag is the King of these 2 calibers. The commercial success of the .44mag has proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt. Now, with that said, I really like them both...and I love the .44spec.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:12 PM   #30
TXGunNut

I really like them both...and I love the .44spec. -shootniron

Damn, had to play the 44Spl card. Cooler round than either being discussed but we digress. Yes, the 44Mag is probably more of a modern commercial success mostly due to a certain fictional detective. When Mr Eastwood was a fictional cowboy he didn't do a monolog about his 45 Colt or the various C&B revolvers he carried. That would have been odd.
The 45 Colt was the "magnum" of its day, but in those days a magnum was a big bottle of wine. Today it still has all it's old west charm and enough potential to do anything the 44 mag can do, in a suitable firearm.
One thing I've noticed about the 44 mag is that IME it likes to go fast and is often quite accurate right up to the ragged edge. A 45 Colt is acceptably accurate with max or near max load, just not especially accurate. YMMV, but I still prefer the 45 Colt because I don't much care for max loads.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:35 AM   #31
Sarge

I hung onto the 44 Special for a good long time, mostly out of respect for uncle Elmer. And if Elmer ran one of the ammo companies, the old Special would be up on its hind legs. Trouble is, it is--or was when I fooled with it--hard to find factory ammo that matched the ballistics of the even 45 ACP.

It is a dandy cartridge all the same and a real go-getter if you handload it.

Last edited by Sarge; February 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:21 AM   #32
spacecoast

Quote:
When Mr Eastwood was a fictional cowboy he didn't do a monolog about his 45 Colt or the various C&B revolvers he carried. That would have been odd.
He did indeed discuss his Model 29 during (or was it after?) its relatively brief reign as "the most powerful handgun in the world" but in fact turned out to be shooting "light .44 specials" (making them even cooler).

Last edited by spacecoast; February 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:32 PM   #33
mavracer

It depends on the rules you set.
If you want the 44 to be king use Saami loads
If you want them to be about equal use loads that a stock Blackhawk cylinder will stand.
If you want the 45 to be king put it in a 5 shot custom and it'll eat a 44s lunch.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 14, 2013, 02:09 PM   #34
temmi

A 45 Colt in a Ruger BH (Ruger Load) is enough

If I want more

I will not go to a 44Mag

But

To a 480R

Why take 1/2 measures?

Snake
Old February 15, 2013, 06:18 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

Long live the King

No one can become king until the old King dies. So it's like this: The 45 Colt remains King; the 44 special is Queen; their offspring, 44 Magnum is like the Prince of Wales; the 44-WCF is the Duke of the West; and all these Johnny-come-lately mega-bores are a pack of usurpin' knaves!
Old February 15, 2013, 06:38 PM   #36
rclark

Quote:
.44 Special ... hard to find factory ammo that matched the ballistics of the even 45 ACP. It is a dandy cartridge all the same and a real go-getter if you handload it.
That's the key. The .44 Special and .45 Colt are reloader cartridges and I won't be caught without either. My .44Mag revolvers just takes a back seat and once in a while go for a ride. Same with the .45ACP in my convertibles. Might say they are just wanabees in my stable .

Quote:
If I want more I will not go to a 44Mag but To a 480R
I like your way of thinking.... I'd say the .454C though.... which I don't have, or ever will need as long as I reload for .45 Colt.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:34 PM   #37
redhawk45

Buffalo bore lists a 1267 ft pound of energy load for 45 Colt. 325 grain at 1325 fps.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:24 AM   #38
onthehunt

.45 Colt and you can buy .45 Colt ammo anywhere,even WalMart.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:59 PM   #39
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt
.45 Colt and you can buy .45 Colt ammo anywhere,even WalMart.
Welcome to the forum, onthehunt.

You can also buy 44 Magnum anywhere, too. Though, in today's market you might find it difficult to find either.

Lost Sheep
Old February 23, 2013, 05:50 PM   #40
Bart B.

Has anyone made a comparison using the same peak pressure for each round with equivalent bullet weights? Otherwise one's comparing 15000 cup loads to 42,000 cup loads.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:48 PM   #41
fishbones182

Quote:
I think perhaps he was saying simply that until you head over to Africa, there aren't many game animals on this continent that won't fall to a .44 Magnum. That point can certainly be argued (boy howdy, has it EVER) but I don't believe he was saying that the .44 Magnum is the most hardcore hand cannon ever developed or that it's better or more powerful than all the ones you listed.
Sevens you hit the nail on the head.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:42 AM   #42
Daekar

Like somebody else pointed out, it really depends on what you shoot them out of.

If you get a 44 Mag of any variety, you know that it is safe you shoot full-house magnum loads.

If you get a 45 Colt, it could be rated for black-powder loads or it could be rated for 44 Mag-ish loads.

For my money, there is no comparison. Get the 44 Mag. If the extra 0.020" is important to you, get a 454 Casull. It's basically a stronger 45 Colt, and all the firearms chambered for it are capable of full-house loads.

Of course, if you're planning to shoot the round in question out of a rifle, you might as well skip the Casull and just get a 45-70. While not exactly equivalent, both cartridges have loads that can produce similar performance.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:43 PM   #43
HiBC

I assume the standard dead soft lead 45 Colt RNFP at 850 or so fps is not what we are comparing .Elmer had that to start with.He did start with it.Cylinder walls were too weak,and he hotrodded the 44 spl second choice.It worked out.

As has been mentioned,Ross Seifred has studied this some,his conclusion was he preferred to hotrod the 45 Colt in a Ruger,then he went and took down a cape buffalo to back up his choice.

My opinion,its a "shades of grey" issue.Given heavy hand;loads in a strong gun with proper bullets,both will do.

I enjoy plinking cans with full power 44 Magnum loads in a Super Blackhawk,Redhawk,or S+W 29.

I had a Freedom Arms 454 Casull in my custody for a while,and with full power .454 Casull loads,I exceeded my recoil tolerance limits.I found myself getting squinty as I squeezed the trigger.Marksmanship suffered.

I did have curiosity about the .480 Ruger,it seemed a sweet compromise,but I'm not sure it will stay with us.I've never fired one.

For my own limitations,regardless of power,I will be more effective if I do not exceed 44 Magnum or 45 Colt heavy loads due to my own limitations.

I think ,real world,the factors of bullet selection and ability to place the shot will be far more important than which label is on the box,.024 diameter difference,a .22 rimfire slug worth of bullet weight,or 100 fps velocity.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #44
Boomer58cal

Not enough for your target to know the difference. I have two .44 revolvers. A Ruger Super Red hawk and a super black hawk. I'm 6'4" 275 lbs I'm not ripped but in good shape and I would argue that anything much more powerful isn't going to be much more effective because the recoil is not going to allow you get that second shot on target fast enough. If it's good enough for Dirty hairy it's good enough for me.