The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Puzzled on finding reloading data

I could use some guidance on finding load data.

I have three rifles for which I am gearing up to reload (I have yet to load anything.)

For my .204 Ruger:
I have - Sierra BlitzKing, #1039 (.204, 39 gr)
I intend to get Hornady 20 cal V-Max in both 32 and 40 gr

For my 30.06:
I have - Sierra Palma Match, #2156 (.308 for 30.06 Springfield, 155 gr)
I have - Nosler AccuBond, #54618 (.308 for 30.06 Springfield, 200 gr)

For my .243:
I have yet to pick anything. (I'm open to suggestions for feral hog use.)

I would like to find a single powder that I can use (at least for starters). It looks like Varget would do well for all three rifles and the size of bullets I'll be shooting. Based upon some others' suggestions I was thinking of using H322, but I don't see load data for it for use with the 30.06.

But anyway, I'm not finding load data for the Sierra bullets. The Speer manual I have doesn't give me competitor information, the Hodgdon site gives me some data (but not the Sierra), the Nosler site gives me AccuBond data, but I'm not finding anything for the Sierra bullets - unless I pay Sierra for the information.

Is there any way to find the Sierra data without purchasing their manual or software?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old January 27, 2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Sevens

If you want Sierra specific data without purchasing anything other than their bullets... call them on the phone. They've got a good reputation for support with their products. They may also take your e-mail.

You might also e-mail whoever manufactures/distributes the powder you end up choosing.

Most of us don't require that the published load to data be dead-nuts specific, by brand, to the bullet we use. We also understand that published load data varies by source, so it's not like there is a dead-nuts hard & fast rule anyway.

Using safe, proper and commond handloading methods... you can start low and work your way safely to a goal and once you've found that goal, it won't really matter if the source that got you started was working with exactly the same Sierra bullets or something else.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
TXGunNut

If you like Sierra, Nosler or Hornady bullets, by all means buy their manuals. Great investments. The Hornady is a better manual IMHO but Sierra and Nosler manuals have good points as well. Powder manufacturers give good info on powder charges for a given bullet weight and sectional density but little about specific bullets. Equipment manufacturers (Lee and Lyman) give good pointers about the actual process but can't list all the possible component combos.
Solution? You guessed it, buy more manuals...and read them! I won't attempt a new load without consulting three manuals and quite possibly a website or two, and I've been doing this for over 30 years.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:26 AM   #4
Ifishsum

You can get data from most powder manufacturers for free, online or in pamphlet form. You really should own a good loading manual though, like Lyman #49 or Lee's Modern Reloading that lists a wide variety of loads for all cartridges, powders and bullet brands. That way you can verify that a load someone suggests is within safe parameters, and also find a powder that will work with your cartridges.

I use BL-C(2) powder the most for the .204 but I've also had good results with H322 and Varget. H322 is a bit fast for the '06 but there is good data for the other two; 4895 (either H or IMR) and Reloder 15 could also work with all three cartridges, at least with lighter bullet weights. Most powders that are good for the smaller cartridges will not be appropriate for heavy bullets in the '06 though.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:28 AM   #5
kimbers rule

You should look up hodgeon online. You can access the whole anual manual from here.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Nathan

Data.hodgdon.comData.hodgdon.com

This is a good spot. Frankly, to be happy, you will need 2-3 powders for these three.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
SerenityNetworks

Thanks fellows.

I also heard of good results with the BL-C(2) in the .204 cartridges (and Varget too). I have put together a spreadsheet with the different 'favorite' powder, primer, bullet, and cartridge recipes from different posts I've found around the internet for people using a CZ 527 Varmint like I will be using. The H322 just edged out the BL-C(2) powder for use with both the Hornady V-Max and Sierra BK bullets. That's the only reason I thought of starting with the H322. I haven't done the same kind of rough analysis to determine a starting point for my .243 and 30.06, but I will as time allows.

The reason I'm starting with the .204 is because it is certainly the most accurate rifle I own and I figure it will be with that rifle that it will be most obvious if my reloads are less than their potential. My best group at 200 yards is .161 and the worst was about .4 MOA with Hornady V-Max 32 grain bullets. So if my reloads don't do at least that well then I know I'm doing something wrong. At least that's my logic (let me know if I'm wrong).

The Hodgdon manual and online tool was very helpful, but it didn't cover the Sierra BK bullets. I'll give Sierra a call and/or drop them an email. If I'm going to pick up another manual, can you tell me which would cover the bullets I'm most likely to use in the immediate future (Sierra BK, Hornady V-Max, Nosler AccuBond, and perhaps Barnes)?

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old January 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Ifishsum

http://www.sierrabullets.com/siteart...e/204Ruger.pdf

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_sierra.php
Old January 28, 2013, 10:12 PM   #9
TXGunNut

Spreadsheets are good, Internet anecdotes are good, but your rifle will tell you which load is best....if you let it.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:42 PM   #10
SerenityNetworks

Ifishsum, thank you! I had really prowled the Sierra site, but I never found that reference. Can you tell me the path you took to get to that pdf? I can't find it. I'd like to see the pages for the .243 Winchester and the 30.06 Springfield. I tried substituting in various URLs, but without any luck. Also thanks for the reference to rugerhunting.com.

Thanks again,
Andrew

PS. TXGunNut, yep. I agree. I'm just looking for a starting point and to somewhat organize a strategy and order what combinations I want to try first.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Bart B.

You can also use data for any bullet of the same weight and shape bullet from another company in your cartridges. Just start about 8% below max and work up in 1/2 grain steps carefully. Don't go over max loads listed. Learn about pressure signs and remember visual pressure signs are not all that reliable.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Ifishsum

Andrew,

The 204 Ruger forum I found and joined when the cartridge was new and there wasn't a lot of information about it. They posted the cartridge loading data and had also the Sierra link when they added the cartridge. I'm not sure that you'll find one online for other cartridges because they sell them in their loading books - I believe they made this one available because it was a new cartridge, it's in exactly the same format as their binder manual and looks like it was meant to be printed and added to one's existing Sierra manual.

I was able to find it again using a google search for "sierra .204 data"
Old January 29, 2013, 11:27 AM   #13
mohr308

Serenity

If you just call them, they will email everything you need. All my load data for sierra bullets came from them for free!
Old January 29, 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
SerenityNetworks

Thank you. I called, the gentleman asked for which calibers I had bullets, and within a couple minutes I had the load data for all the calibers I wanted.

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge