The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
smokiniron

Where do you hide your guns...?

Folks...

Compared to many of you, my 4-5 long guns and 3 Springers are maybe a non-issue as to hiding them.

I keep a Mossy 500A by the bedside and a few of the .45 ACP pistols for home defense.

I don't have the bucks right now for a gun safe. Are there any clever ways to hide weapons from burglars? And, maybe from unlawful seizure? I'm not jazzed about burying them, as I'd like to keep them available when needed, for home defense, food supply, and 'community defense'.

Any good tricks with false walls, rafter racks, etc?

Thanks

- Smokiniron
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old February 23, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2
shootniron

I hide mine in a safe.

I have never been much on storing my guns in the attic as it subjects to a lot of heat. And, it might be just as cheap to buy a safe as it would be to construct a false wall. Something that you may want to consider is coming up with ways to secure the guns to something stationary such as a concrete floor with hardened fasteners through the action...it could be defeated, but would require some effort and tools.

Last edited by shootniron; February 23, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:02 PM   #3
KO3422

I hide them in my safe as well. For what it's worth, a safe is a great investment....almost a necessity if you ask me.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
RobertInIowa

Now if I told you where I hide them, they wouldn't be hidden, would they?
Old February 23, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
smokiniron

Now if I told you where I hide them, they wouldn't be hidden, would they?

Thanks, Funny boy!
Old February 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #6
bigkrackers

A good safe should not be an after thought. I understand a decent one costs more than a HK and you'd rather by more guns but for the most part, it's pretty irresponsible IMO to start collecting guns and put off buying a safe.

Maybe you have a friend or family member with a gun safe who would be willing to store the one's you're not using for HD. Then you can get a simple pistol vault for your HD gun until you get a real safe.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
arch308

I wouldn't trust anything but a safe. Bolted to the floor.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
smokiniron

Sounds like the common thread in the replies is 'safe'

Thanks, folks.... Time to sae some money
Old February 23, 2013, 06:33 PM   #9
gundog5

I don't hide my guns as I like them close to hand. I do have a 90lb chessy who hates everyone except family. ask any officer and most will tell you that criminals do not like to target homes with large dogs. they will go next door. When we travel, I set our alarm system.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:43 PM   #10
manta49

If someone comes into your house unarmed and finds one of your firearms you have just armed him not a good idea. I Am not sure about America but you can buy a safe here for around £100.
Quote:
And, maybe from unlawful seizure?
What sort of unlawful seizure. ?

Last edited by manta49; February 23, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
smokiniron

If someone comes into your house unarmed and finds one of your firearms you have just

... Toward that end, my guns are in a defensible location at night, along with ammo. When watching TV, I always have a Springfield .45 ACP and 49 rds immediately at hand, along with is little sister, an XDs with 10 rds. Nighttime is secured with those fellows and a Mossberg 8-shop pump, 20" barrel, with a few slugs and 00 buck.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:22 PM   #12
UtahHunting

I store all of mine at the bottom of the lake after every single one of them fell overboard
Old February 23, 2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Wear it!
Old February 23, 2013, 07:29 PM   #14
manta49

Quote:
Toward that end, my guns are in a defensible location at night, along with ammo. When watching TV, I always have a Springfield .45 ACP and 49 rds immediately at hand, along with is little sister, an XDs with 10 rds. Nighttime is secured with those fellows and a Mossberg 8-shop pump, 20" barrel, with a few slugs and 00 buck.
I mean when you are not in the house. When you come home someone could be waiting on you with one of your firearms.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:32 PM   #15
mayosligo

Safe. And one in one other place. Get a safe. You can get a decent one for 400-500. Don't be the guy buying one after everything is gone.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:35 PM   #16
BGutzman

Honestly I think behind a bookshelf isn't a bad option so long as trigger locks and the like are in use. What thief steals ordinary books? Probably not to many of them, seems most cant pull up the britches let alone read.

You could also cut out the pages of a thicker book for a pistol, I would just pull out all the pages and let the book cover be camo, again trigger locks are always recommended for pure storage.

But no matter what I suggest the most important thing is being safe for whatever kids, visitors and family that might bump into it if it was discovered.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:46 PM   #17
smokiniron

I store all of mine at the bottom of the lake

Ahem.... That's my 'provisional' storage location! I didn't think ANYONE knew about it!

BGuzman... and others... good advice, especially re the action/trigger locks.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:59 PM   #18
zxcvbob

This is pretty cool: http://youtu.be/1pYqquG27pg
Old February 23, 2013, 08:03 PM   #19
jnichols2

When storing a lot of guns in a safe, pick one that a Ford F350 with logging chains can't pull loose. That's what they use if they think there is a gun safe. They just pull into your garage and go to work. Same way they steal an ATM machine. Don't think 3/4" bolts set in concrete will work. Try 3" bolts through 1" steel plate buried in 6" of concrete. A good reason not to brag about all your guns & ammo.

In, or better behind a book case isn't likely to be easily found by normal burglars. Unless they know for sure you have several guns. A false wall would be very good.

I don't like the heat either, but the attic is still a good place if you go on vacation, and are traveling through Chicago or New York. Just use lots of lube.

Hiding from the feds -- they are best buried off site. The feds will strip your house.

Last edited by jnichols2; February 23, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Joe_Pike

Due to a failing economy, the only gun I was able to buy in the recent past was a Mossberg 500 for $225. I had been planning to buy a safe, but I didn't make enough money during the holiday season to do that.

For now I bought an 18 gun Stack-on locking cabinet that I added a couple of hasps and padlocks to. It will be bolted to a wall in my closet and it will be a fairly tight fit. It will then have stuff stacked in front of it. I know it will only stop the casual thief, but there are not many safes that will keep out the thief that is intent on getting in.

Quote:
If someone comes into your house unarmed and finds one of your firearms you have just armed him
Well, he just broke into my home. I didn't arm him, he armed himself with stolen property.

Quote:
I store all of mine at the bottom of the lake
Don't touch any of my gold or silver down there when you go to get your guns.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:11 PM   #21
iowamike

Bunker Hill safe from Harbor freight, 145.00 will store 8 rifles and has a locking upper cabinet for hand guns and ammo 4 bolt lock non combo but a nice key punch feature. Get it with the 20% dicount coupon and its dirt cheap. Kids in the house a safe is a must have.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:13 PM   #22
shootniron

Quote:
Well, he just broke into my home. I didn't arm him, he armed himself with stolen property.
Bingo!

Don't let'em shift that responsibility to you...it is on the thief.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:19 PM   #23
zxcvbob

All I see at HF are little small safes, and a big one that's on sale for $300.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:26 PM   #24
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootniron View Post
Bingo!

Don't let'em shift that responsibility to you...it is on the thief.
Unfortunately this is the tactic so many of he gun grabbers want. Blame the victim.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:30 PM   #25
bbqbob51

Yes, spending a small fortune on an fireproof/dynamite proof might be be a good investment but you don't need it keep your guns reasonably secure. If you mount it inside a small closet that makes it hard for a couple of guys to get in there and manhandle it or pry it open. Sure, it won't stop them if they are determined but you just need to slow them down. Mine cost me around $250. I am planning on getting a nice fireproof super duper safe when I can afford it though.
There was a woman in Connecticut who should have secured her guns in a safe with a combination that only she knew. If she did, she would be alive today and another 26 innocent souls would also be with us. do what you can now with what you have for cash.
Closed Thread