The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 26, 2012, 07:20 PM   #26
Crosshair

Old June 26, 2012, 08:06 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is an interesting story about those Israeli Mausers and the 6-day war. Before the war began Israel had purchased FN-FAL's to replace the mixed bag of mostly 98 Mausers in their arsenals. Their troops rode into battle on the tanks, and in the process the new rifles became so full of dirt and sand that when the fighting started the FAL's fired - once. Literally in the dark of night, the new rifles were pulled back and front line troops issued 98 Mausers, which went bang and didn't seem to care about little details like sand and dirt.

Then came the spin. The FAL's were cleaned up and issued to rear-area troops; the press was told that now Israel now had so many first line automatic rifles that they could even issue them to rear area soldiers. It was years before anyone outside the Israeli and U.S. military caught on.

Jim
Old June 26, 2012, 09:52 PM   #28
jonnyc

And where did you get that?
Old June 27, 2012, 11:03 AM   #29
Crosshair

I'd also like to see a source of that.

If such a thing happened a more likely explanation was that training on maintenance was not yet to where it should be and they simply went back to what the troops were familiar with.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:39 AM   #30
jonnyc

Israel started rebarrelling the Mausers in the mid-1950s, the same time they started purchasing (and then producing) the FAL rifle. It was not new in 1967, and I doubt would have been as problematic as that story suggests.
Now, if you had said 1956, there might have been a tiny bit more possible meat to the story.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:25 PM   #31
Master Blaster 2

Too bad the OP's Mauser doesnt have a Star of David Crest on it. If so it knocks up the value quite a bit on the Mauser

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; June 28, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old June 29, 2012, 02:39 AM   #32
MarkDozier

Do jewish guns work on the sabbath?
Old June 29, 2012, 12:55 PM   #33
JHansenAK47

Quote:
It was not new in 1967, and I doubt would have been as problematic as that story suggests.
Have you ever heard of "sandcuts" on the FAL rifle. They added those because they do choke up on sand. The sandcuts is that zigzag cut on the bolt carrier below.
http://www.dsarms.com/Metric-Bolt-Ca...uctinfo/033-A/
I have never heard of mausers replacing FALs on the front line. I don't know why they would do that when the Israeli FALs charging handle can be pressed in to engage the bolt/bolt carrier assembly to manually manipulate the bolt forwards and backwards. Unlike the standard FAL charging handle which can only move the bolt backwards.
Quote:
Do jewish guns work on the sabbath?
In times of war the sabbath does not have to be observed. That is part of jewish tradition.
Quote:
Never seen anything peened. You sure the Czechs didn't peen yours before they sent it to Israel???
I don't know who peened it.
Quote:
I have two israeli mausers. One has the waffenamps completely obliterated, on has the eagle part intact and only the swastika in the circle peened.
Supposedly unit armorers were known to peen off markings they found intolerable, some more zealously than others.

Last edited by JHansenAK47; June 29, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:41 PM   #34
matchgrade303

I have been eye balling those 7.62 kar98s but in my findings they have all been beat to hell.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; July 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: delete inappropriate language

Tags
ammo , mauser , nato , rifle , safety