The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2009, 09:45 AM   #1
shredmandan

Progressive Reloading vs Single Stage Reloading SEMI NEWB Questions

I have a Dillon 550B that I have used over the years for reloading pistol 45 ACP mostly. So am farmilar with it's opertion. I want to start reloading for some varmit rifles 22 Hornet - .223 and 7X30 Waters - I have one of the RCBS 1500 scale/charge combo units. I realize I can relaod for these on the Dillon but want to use more precision and want to go with a single stage press (good idea??). What's a good choice for a press - I'm thinking about the Hornady - am I on the right path thinking single stage or can I do it with the Dillon?? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Old March 10, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
rwilson452

I reload several varmint rounds and use a single stage press. Mainly because I trim every time. Weigh and trickle charge every load. So a progressive press wouldn't be of any help. I have three presses. A Loadmaster, A lee classic turret and a Lee Classic cast. the Classic cast was chosen because it is big and really heavy duty. It can handle 50BMG. I have big hands so I have plenty of room to work the press. It is surly more press than you need for varmint rounds but I also give the same treatment to my 30-06 stuff.

Yes, I'm a bit anal retentive about loading rifle stuff. I really want the most accurate ammo I can produce. It pays off on those long range shots. the over 300 yds stuff. Not much room for error in those pesky groundhogs.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Sevens

I think you could do what you want with your Dillon, but it would be easier and more enjoyable to work with a single stage for this sort of thing.

IMO, your best choice is either the Lee Classic Cast, or the Lee Classic Turret. Either of them offer (by far!) the most press for the money, and either are cheaper than most other presses in the same class of durability.

I would skip the smaller single stage presses such as anything that a "c" frame, RCBS Partner, a hand press or even the Lee Challenger.

Only thing to remember is that if you intend to use the same caliber die set in two different presses, you'll be adjusting the dies each time you try to use them in the other press... that sucks.

I think you'll be very happy with either press I listed.