The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 18, 2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Texas Solo

USPSA classes?

I'm buying a S&W MP9 soon, and hope to get involved in USPSA with it. I've read their site, but I'm confused in their classifications. At this point, I'd only be interested in a "stock" class, but couldn't find any criteria about it on their site. When I was searching equipment rules, specifically holsters, again there was no mention of stock vs. "race" equipment.
Can somebody please give a basic breakdown of classes and equipment? Many thanks from a newbie.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Jim Watson

You have to learn the words and what they mean.
There is no "stock class", there is no "race" equipment.
Class is based on ability, Divison on the gun being shot.
Go back to www.uspsa.org and look up the rules. Concentrate on Production Divison for shooting a Plastic M&P.
Old May 18, 2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Texas Solo

Thanks Jim, that helps. I'll be in Production division, and class will be determined after 4 scores are recorded, and updated periodically.
On the holster rule, it simply says that holsters must retain the weapon during movement and fully cover the trigger guard. Simple enough.
Old May 18, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

a bit more specific

Production Division requires gear suitable for everyday concealment, and worn positioned as such.
The holster must be practical.
All competitors score Minor.
Ten rds is the maximum load allowed (even though the mag may hold more; only ten loaded).

A33102
Old May 18, 2008, 08:46 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

go (head towards the riotous good fun)

Go now.
Ask questions.
Watch.
If you have a gun take that (and ammo); someone might loan you the other stuff.
Same when you get the M&P; go.

Only complaint heard: "Wish I'd started sooner"........

Riotous.
Old May 18, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
glockopop

I'd say, "The most fun you can have with your pants on!"
Old May 27, 2008, 04:00 PM   #7
rhyfl

+1 on attending the local matches. Ask around at the match and you will probably find some local folks offering lessons. I did this with my 3 sons and we found a local trainer who is also the head firearms instructor for the federal training facility nearby. Great class - highly recommend receiving some initial training.

Ronald Reagan
Old May 28, 2008, 07:41 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

our club

www.gmps.ws

Annual 'New Shooters Clinic".

If someone shows up with no idea (happens every match) we give them an orientation briefing, then have a mentor squad with them for the match.
Old June 2, 2008, 03:39 PM   #9
j1132s

Quote:
Can somebody please give a basic breakdown of classes and equipment?
You MP9 would be an excellent production class gun. You'll need a holster, mag pouches, and extra mags.

- holster: any holster that covers the trigger will do, start off w/ those nylon generic holsters for $10 ea.

- mag pouches: If you want to you can use your pockets. Or get the uncle mike's double mag pouches for $10 ea

- extra mags: IPSC stage can have 30 something rounds. So you should carry at least 40 rounds. Sometimes steel, miss, mag changes can cause you to use more rounds per stage. For production, having 5 mags is good: 1 in the gun and 4 on you.

That's it. Bring 200 roudns and very important: cap and water to your first match.

Edit: Somebody above suggested watching a match. That's a good idea, but you'll get very bored. If you take that route, bring you gun in case you want to participate (if you are a safe shooter). Texas Solo, I noticed that you are in San Antonio, there is a club called River city shooters based in South San Antonio that hosts IPSC and IDPA; there's also Alpha Mike's in North San Antonio that does something like IPSC, and Texas Tactical in north that does something like IDPA these clubs would be conveinent for you.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:34 PM   #10
David Hineline

Production or Limited 10

Production or Limited 10 was fine durring the AW ban because some new gun owners had no choice,

I shoot straight limited because my gun holds more than 10 and I am not going to download less than what I would normally carry with the gun.