The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 6, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Skitter

Stoeger Cougar 8040

Recently picked up a .40 caliber Stoeger Cougar. Why? Cause I liked the look and the weight of the gun and it just felt right. Took it to the range, shot 50 rounds of Winchester 165gr target ammo through it and couldn't have been happier with the results! My wrist didn't hurt at all and my grouping was fairly close together after I countered my trigger finger pulling the gun to the right when I went to fire.

I did some research and it looks like it is the Beretta that Beretta didnt want to make anymore so they sent the tooling to Turkey and gave it to their subsidiary (Stoeger) to keep on production. From what I am hearing the only difference between a Beretta and a Stoeger is the price.

That being said, trying to find anything for my gun is a pain in the ass! Will most things like hand-grips and holsters for the Beretta 96 work for the Cougar? Love my gun, not changing anytime soon, just trying to find stuff for it!

Also, anybody else had one and what are your thoughts behind this gun?

Thanks in advance,

Skitt
Old March 6, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
LockedBreech

They're great pistols. They really are mechanically identical to the $600-700 Beretta Cougars, with maybe a slightly rougher finish. They shoot great, are built like tanks, and are a steal for the price.

My PX4 is the next generation of that design, so I'm very fond of it
Old March 6, 2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Skitter

My wife has a PX4 Storm in 9mm and loves it. She just had to figure out that the cheap Monarch ammo she bought 4 years ago was the cause of all her issues when we went to the range last week, every other round was jamming or double loading. After she figured that out, different ammo worked fine and she loved the gun.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
jglsprings

Nope, Cougar grips are not the same as the '92

Google around for parts and mags. If I remember correctly these were from Optics Planet or some such place.

I really liked the Cougar, I had a 40 and 45acp. Wish I'd kept them now.

Commas save lives...
Old March 6, 2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Skitter

Just thought I would ask as the Magazine for both the 96 and the "Baretta Cougar 8040" (Now Stoeger Cougar) are the same from the manufacturer
Old March 6, 2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Ozzieman

Just thought I would ask as the Magazine for both the 96 and the "Baretta Cougar 8040"

Can’t say for the 8040 but for sure the 8000 will not take any other magazine from Beretta. Initially the gun came with the Clinton 10 round and after his stupid round limit went away manufactures came out with 15.
All I can say about the Stoeger is I wish they had been available when I bought my Beretta 8000. I paid more for the Beretta back in 2000 than Stoeger’s are selling for now.
Great gun and very good accuracy.
Just do yourself a favor, start buying magazines.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Skitter

I was planning on picking up mags whenever I could but all I can find are the standard 11 round. I cannot for the life of me find any extended round magazines!
Old March 6, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
wbw

Here is my Stoeger 8000 with Beretta grips. The Cougar is a great pistol in my opinion. I've also got an 8045. You can't beat the the value.

Old March 6, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9
labhound

I've got the same two guns wbw has. Great guns at a very good price!
Old March 6, 2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Skitter

Ever had any luck with a bigger mag? I know home defense you shouldn't need one but for target range firing it would be nice, but the only one is the crappy Pro-Mag 20r mag I found so far.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:21 AM   #11
gggplaya

I have the Stoeger Cougar 8000FT, which is the 9mm. It's an awsome gun, real diamond in the rough. I bought it because there was basically nothing else to buy in this panic buying time.

Holsters for the beretta cougar will fit as long as you don't have a a railed version. Mags for the 9mm beretta cougar will also work in the stoeger, CDNN has them the cheapest, they were $19.99, but are now $29.99 due to the rush.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
labhound

Beretta USA also sells a Beretta black leather holster for the fullsize 9mm PX4 that's a perfect fit for the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar 8000 F.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Skitter

So Ive noticed, Ill be sticking with thenormal 11 round mags, however Beretta also sells a 12 round .40 I just dont know if it would fit
Old March 7, 2013, 11:42 PM   #14
cdbeagle

Have a 9MM Cougar and so does my daughter. If I was on a budget and could only afford one pistol it would be a Cougar.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:30 AM   #15
Ozzieman

Ever had any luck with a bigger mag?
If you’re asking about the 15 round Beretta mag then yes I have 6 and they all work as well as the 10 rounder. Just hard to get. I use them in my Cougar and the Beretta storm carbine. I just wish someone made a 30 round for the carbine.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Skitter

Pro-Mag does, but I keep hearing they are absolute crap
Old March 9, 2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Ozzieman

Yea Skitter, I have heard the same thing about all of Pro mag magazines. Never had any and don’t think I ever will.

Old March 9, 2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Skitter

I believe I will be fine with the 11-12 rounders, I definitely shouldn't need more then that for home defense, and on the firing line the 20rnd would probably weigh too much.

My project right now is locating some 150gr factory ammo since I cannot reload my own atm.
Old September 6, 2016, 11:26 AM   #19
Zepfan54

Stoeger 8040

First post on the Firing Line Forums, and hope I don't mess it up. Just bought a Stoeger Cougar 8040 and brought it to the range yesterday and that pistol performed flawlessly! At 20 yards put 8 out of 11 in the 6" circle, the other 3 were in the 10" first clip ! Came home broke it down to clean it and saw it has a plastic guide rod. Can this be a problem? None of my other big bore pistols has this! And can it be replaced with a Beratta metal guide rod? Just concerned that down the road this could malfunction! But other than that it seems to be very well built, with a tight fit on the upper slide and lower. The 40 cal has more pop than my 9mm. But felt recoil was not bad at all and very manageable. I see this is a fairly old thread but if anyone has any advise, would be appreciated.
Old September 8, 2016, 11:37 AM   #20
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfan54 View Post
First post on the Firing Line Forums, and hope I don't mess it up. Just bought a Stoeger Cougar 8040 and brought it to the range yesterday and that pistol performed flawlessly! At 20 yards put 8 out of 11 in the 6" circle, the other 3 were in the 10" first clip ! Came home broke it down to clean it and saw it has a plastic guide rod. Can this be a problem? None of my other big bore pistols has this! And can it be replaced with a Beratta metal guide rod? Just concerned that down the road this could malfunction! But other than that it seems to be very well built, with a tight fit on the upper slide and lower. The 40 cal has more pop than my 9mm. But felt recoil was not bad at all and very manageable. I see this is a fairly old thread but if anyone has any advise, would be appreciated.

My Beretta 8040 uses a steel guide rod, and I'm sure would swap right in.

The guide rod is not a stress-bearing piece and it's fine that it's plastic (a ton of very proven designs use plastic guide rods). That said, I did replace the plastic one in my Beretta 92 with a Wilson Combat fluted steel one. Just makes me feel better. Cheap peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 11, 2016, 01:26 AM   #21
Bart Noir

I sold my Stoeger 9mm Cougar only because I like the Px4 better. That Cougar was a well made and accurate gun.

I do like those rotating barrels.

Bart Noir
Old September 11, 2016, 08:57 AM   #22
chaim

Nice gun. If it was about .1" thinner I'd consider buying one right now myself.