The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 6, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
JackBeQuick

Rock river arms elite?

I had been on waiting list at scheels and they called me today. I am up oon the list and they have a rock river arms elite for $1198. Do you think thats a good price or wait it out? Also will I be able to find 223 ammo anytime soon?

I have a saiga 308 do you think the RRA 223 will be a more enjoyable gun?
Old February 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Babyfacenelson

For 1100$ there are better ar's. Heck for 900$ there are better AR's.
If a Rock River is REALLY what you want/need then its fine.
As to the enjoyability of the gun versus your saiga, it depends on the purpose.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
BillyJack3

Where are there better AR's for $900? Maybe 3 months ago. Today, that's not a bad price at all. Finding ammo is another story and finding mags is difficult as we'll. Hopefully we're near the end of panic buying but manufacturers are backed up. A few of them are backed up over a year and stopped taking new orders.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Babyfacenelson

*facepalm*
It has been awhile since i looked at AR pricing, you're right in the past few months the prices everywhere have skyrocketed, my mistake.
Personally i have never shot a Rock River AR i liked. Maybe its just me, but i'd spend more and get a colt or a Core.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
blackamos

In today's time A Rock River Arms for $1200 is a great deal. I just wish they still made 1911's like the old days.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6
KO3422

Back in the day, I'd say no way. Now, if it's in in stock and you feel comfortable spending that amount...then go for it. I just can't in good faith spend that much for a RRA.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
JohnO

In today's market that is a very good price. It's only a couple of hundred over what it would have gone for before all this talk of legislation.

Blackamos, I hear ya about their 1911s. Was able to pick up 2 barely used RRA 1911s a few years back. Absolutely great guns.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:42 PM   #8
RC20

First its a good price for an AR. I am seeing Bushmaster going to $1500 here and they are getting it.

As for RRA, I like and dislike them.

I bought an ATH model though I wanted a 16 inch barrel and during the back and forht they said no issue you could order it that way.

Very nice gun, very well done, trigger (chrome two stage match) is great and the chromed bolt carrier was a nice bonus I did not have to pay for. Very nice looking AR with the bead blasted stainless barrel.

It jammed out of the box and after some poking and prodding I found the gas block was loose. Ok, I should have checked but I do not expect that out of an RRA priced gun.

The other disappointment has been the accuracy. The ATH is guaranteed 3/4 MOA with match grade ammunition.

Follow up on that also found that when they put the 16 inch barrel on, that changed it to 1 inch guaranteed.

I have not even gotten that out of it and will see with some reloads and careful testing and I am using a scope.

Again nice gun, but not what I expected accuracy wise and having them shift the situation and not tell me the whole story frankly ****** me off.

And while not a big deal, when it got ordered as a 16 inch, it also lost the winter trigger guard (which in cold climate I am in was a plus). Again not a show stopper but pretty selective on the information.

With the gas block fix it shoot totally reliable and handles well.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:26 AM   #9
RangerHAAF

Rock River ARs are the only ones that I will buy. They're all fairly accurate but I'm loyal to two brands, Ruger and Rock River. I've found that limiting my choices in such a way reduces any potential operational disappointment.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old February 9, 2013, 11:36 AM   #10
CTS

About three months ago my LGS had a RRA predator pursuit, slightly used with nickel boron bolt, 20" cryo'ed barrel, really nicely decked out for $899. I nearly bought it but decided to wait. I have been kicking my self ever since.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:37 PM   #11
RC20

I know its off topic slappy, but I had the same experience with a Barret 9mm

They had it for $100 off, decent feeling gun, just did not need it.

The next day the madness started. I could have bought and then re-sold it at a good profit even if I did not need it.

ahh well, if thats the worse that happens its not so bad though irritating as hell.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
TimW77

"For 1100$ there are better ar's. Heck for 900$ there are better AR's."

Really?

Makes me think of the Geico commercial...

"Have you been living under a rock"?

T.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:16 PM   #13
eviltravis

I've had a good experience with Rock River Arms. All of my rra stuff has been sub-moa with the right ammo. Reliability has been stellar, and that two stage trigger they sell is simple and consistent. I'd jump on that deal if I were you.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #14
zeke

Another fan of RR, especially a personally owned ATH that is extremely accurate with handloads.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:20 PM   #15
souther33

RockRiver

yes I would buy it. I payed $1055 for mine before the scare 150 more not bad plus I really like my RockRiver it dose not fell plasticy

if you want to see a good review search this on youtube
Rock River Arms AR15 Review by Nutnfancy
Old February 13, 2013, 05:18 AM   #16
LRChops

Funny how people bash RRA! I have two Colts, a Bushmaster, a RRA, a SIG M400. The RRA is a great shooting rifle and reliable as any of the others! I do have a BCM bolt carrier group in it!

How anyone going to tell me that the RRA is much different from any other M4 variant? Or the Bushmaster lower i have with a Colt upper? All the lowers are essentially the same with different logos embossed.

If you like the RRA rifle, go for it. They are an all around good rifle in use by many Law ENforcement agencies. Proven rifles!

Just know you will not fit in with the M4Carbine Forum types who are all haters outside thier world of custom built rifles that are no better than any factory rifle!!!!
Old February 20, 2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Darker Loaf

Rock River Elite Operator 2 Owner since '09

I've owned my RRA Elite Operator 2 since 2009. I managed to get mine for just shy over $900, but I'd say in today's market $1100 or $1200 is not a bad price.

Mine has never malfunctioned, even after taking a carbine course, and extended shooting sessions. It probably the only fire arm that I've never had a malfunction with, other than my Kahr K9 Elite, and that probably hasn't had enough rounds through it to malfunction yet. So, for 3000 or so rounds through it, that's not a bad track record.

I've played the with configuration of my rifle quite a bit, I don't really dig the old RRA Partial Quad Rails. They are super heavy and seem to hold the heat in. I've got a Troy rail on mine now and it seems to cool much better.

It probably shoots around 1 MOA, I'd say, because I was getting 1/2" groups (all touching/same hole) from a bench at 50 meters. The factory trigger is nice for an AR, too. That's with bulk American Eagle brass. It might shoot better with match grade ammunition.

I'd say go for it, either that or wait for prices to drop.

For the record: the gas keys on RRA's AR's are properly staked. In fact, just about everything on the gun is red loctited into place, so nothing will move on you... that can be crappy for people like me who like to change everything they can on their guns. But RRA's don't fall apart.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:04 PM   #18
JackBeQuick

I got it but have not shot it yet. Thaanks everyone for the input
Old February 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #19
RamItOne

You got it but no pics??????
I've been looking at that same upper as well as their ATH

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 21, 2013, 09:03 PM   #20
droptrd

My Elite Operator 2 has been flawless. Great rifle. Equal in every way to my DDM4. Thats a descent price. Congrats!